Beckett Message Boards
How Can we wake this forum up? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: How Can we wake this forum up? (/thread-1498252.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How Can we wake this forum up? - bbills1999 - 05-01-2012

The Basketball Forum has been really slow lately.. Not many break , Trade threads or even General posts on the Forum. I know the Lack of Product this year is hurting the Forums but i know we can get his place going again.. Anybody have any Idea's?

RE: How Can we wake this forum up? - pingbling23 - 05-01-2012

i think the only way would be to make the org and trading free, and beckett would need to send emails to everyone that has ever been a member letting them know about the free stuff, and giving them a month free of the opg if they get a friend to sign up. this should be the place for trading and organizing, but alot of people hate on beckett. the org is such a huge help on here. going through a bucket is such a pain, i find a card i like, then i have to look it up and figure out what it is and then research a value for it. it so much easier on here, if beckett wants to build this place up, they are going to have to give incentives, in the long run, it would be much more profitable.

RE: How Can we wake this forum up? - robd5811 - 05-01-2012

There wont be any action till people start buying cards lol..seems like no one wants to trade any of their higher end stuff if they even have that and sometimes it just doesnt make sense trading for a $10 card because shipping fees add up, or people want to trade 30 cards for 2..it gets a lil annoying..seems like beckett has been more of a help forum rather than trades/box breaks etc

RE: How Can we wake this forum up? - natebuzzadams2 - 05-01-2012

i know that i'm somewhat new to this forum, but i have noticed it has nowhere near the amount of posts/threads/breaks as the football or baseball does. panini cornering the market does suck big time, but even for that it still is really slow. i know that i personally haven't been posting anything in the breaks because of college, not much extra change to go around. but i have been saving up and plan to soon purchase the case as i mentioned before. unless i pull anything melo, everything i pull is ft/fs. hopefully that'll open things up a little bit? jw, what if i offered up a box from the case as a finders fee for the T or Y that i need for the letterman, think people would pay more attention to it? lol

RE: How Can we wake this forum up? - buckunteer - 05-01-2012

(05-01-2012, 07:42 PM)natebuzzadams2 Wrote: i know that i'm somewhat new to this forum, but i have noticed it has nowhere near the amount of posts/threads/breaks as the football or baseball does. panini cornering the market does suck big time, but even for that it still is really slow. i know that i personally haven't been posting anything in the breaks because of college, not much extra change to go around. but i have been saving up and plan to soon purchase the case as i mentioned before. unless i pull anything melo, everything i pull is ft/fs. hopefully that'll open things up a little bit? jw, what if i offered up a box from the case as a finders fee for the T or Y that i need for the letterman, think people would pay more attention to it? lol

I personally always keep an eye out for finder's fee type stuff at local card shows and whatnot. I figure if ppl want it that badly they're checking all of the same internet outlets as me and probably more I'm unaware of haha. And I love busting boxes, so I'll definitely pay attention for ya! Wink

Panini's stealing the market hurts, fewer products this year hurts worse, but basketball has typically been a third fiddle to football and baseball, with the exception of MJ's years perhaps. The trading going downhill is an issue as well, but that's also due to fewer products and fewer boxes being bought. Seems like the majority of higher end collectors just buy singles, which is understandable, but those of us who love to bust the wax get hit up for our best cards right away and everything else just languishes in our collections!

RE: How Can we wake this forum up? - natebuzzadams2 - 05-01-2012

I'll have to post scans of what I have so far so ya know what to look for. Probably in the next week. I'm desperately trying to finish the set. I see new ones listed on the bay but never the letters I need. And it does suck that all anyone wants is the few high ends the rest you can't even give away. It's a bit ridiculous.

RE: How Can we wake this forum up? - nthnoak - 05-01-2012

i agree the basketball threads are crazy slow. im mostly on the football forum where the first page changes like every 10 minutes. i check into the basketball forum and the same threads have been on the first page for like a month. it amazes me.

RE: How Can we wake this forum up? - natebuzzadams2 - 05-02-2012

i noticed that. it's gettin ridiculous. lol. somebody needs to pull a jordan 1/1 or something. that'd draw attention.

RE: How Can we wake this forum up? - marquettewade3 - 05-02-2012

I still think they need to implement an instant messaging feature on this site.

RE: How Can we wake this forum up? - kenarm79 - 05-02-2012

I don't know what it is. I don't really care for Panini, but they really aren't the only problem. They make football stuff too and that forum has a lot of movement. I've tried to post threads, but a lot of people just don't get engaged. I'm not a big fan of trading because of the small few that try to rip people off. Not too many people post there collections for viewing, sooooo..... I don't really see much to get involved in. I get motivated when I see peoples collections.

The site really has become more technical than it use to be (it had problems before (which were fixed), but some more problems have been created). I have to go to the forums just to check my mail. I remember when you could look up cards and see how the prices have changed over time. That doesn't exist anymore. You cannot upload pics without using another site to make it happen (this problem has always existed here, lol). Truthfully the pricing has increased, but the things that I enjoy either doesn't happen (like people getting involved) or it doesn't exist anymore. Beckett has changed the site a few times since I've been on here. Even the date that they show that I joined is a couple years off. I think these are some of the things that have turned people away.

With all of that said, Baseball, Football even Hockey gets more movement, lol. The only time people get involved is when someone posts a rant or someone asks a question. I guess we are the last ones of a dying breed. I guess no one collects Basketball cards any longer. The only way that I can see us turning around this nightmare is to start our own card company, lol.

Everyone has made some very good comments. I think Ping hit it on the head, but I don't know if Beckett needs to find ways to generate money to stay afloat or what. This is my guess as to why some things that use to be free is either being charged now or there's a cap put on it.

As far as the comments about trading go. I remember a little over a year ago a person was trading a Durant RC auto (it wasn't even a high end one). I was offering a Jordan auto (which is hard to get people to do, lol) but wanted a little more to make the trade work. He was trying to find little things about my card to drop down the value, lol. He wanted more than what the card was selling for (at the time the value was dropping). Apparently he was trying to do a straight up trade. These are the turn offs to trading. If I'm going to do a high end trade, I'm not going to send you a $350-$450 dollar (SV) card for a $120-$160 (SV) card. I think this is the thought process as to why I think people would rather sell there high end stuff and buy what they really want for their PC.

I remember trading a Kevin Love SP Authentic auto patch RC for a Jordan card that was selling for around $40-$50 at the time. I guess you can tell that I'm kicking myself right now, lol. These are the breaks in trading. My point being is that everyone wants to hit the jackpot, but it really should be about the love of the hobby.