Beckett Message Boards
Hypothetic collecting - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Hypothetic collecting (/thread-1496929.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Hypothetic collecting - portfan - 04-21-2012

If you could go back to when you were 10 years old, who would you have collected knowing what you know now? For me that would have been 1993, so really that's a no brainer; it would have to be Derek Jeter. I'd have stockpiled the SP cards for future sale (I'd keep one for myself).

RE: Hypothetic collecting - clarkzac - 04-21-2012

Well for me, I would have been 10 in 2003, so I would have been after more Mauer cards-- just like I am right now lol

RE: Hypothetic collecting - totally sports - 04-21-2012

For it would have been 1981, my personal one would have been Fernando Valenzuela but as far as collecting for value nobody really good in that year but a year later would have been Cal Ripken Jr.
Collecting as a young boy and a grown man are totally different, as a boy I would like a card just for the looks and it didn't matter how good he was.

RE: Hypothetic collecting - aktlingit - 04-21-2012

(04-21-2012, 05:33 PM)clarkzac Wrote: Well for me, I would have been 10 in 2003, so I would have been after more Mauer cards-- just like I am right now lol

Let's see, 10 years old, 1986, so it'd would of been Strawberry...which it was...and outside of sentimental value to a lot of us they are basically worthless lol. I don't regret collecting Strawberry, Juan Gonzalez, and a few others but I did find that when I focus on a player something derails their career.

I've got some voodoo magik or something Smile Anyone want a player collection to plummet? I'm sure we could work out a deal.

Now days while I do list several players I like and I'd be interested in picking up cards of theirs, I do not focus solely on them and I really don't go out to buy cards of theirs. I'm a pack junkie and love the thrill of opening so when I get cards of my favorite players I'm happy enough. Throw in a few decents hits and I'm happy with the box.

Not sure if either approach has been kinder to my wallet though.

RE: Hypothetic collecting - Haze28 - 04-21-2012

1987, I would have spent more money on Maddux cards and Griffey. I have a few Griffeys and I sold a few for good money too but I wish I could have stockpiled the 1989 Upper Deck rookie.

RE: Hypothetic collecting - ryancholden - 04-21-2012

That would have been 1982 for me. I gave all of my Griffey Jr. cards to a friend in 6th grade for all of his Frank Thomas cards.... I'd probably collect Junior Griffey!

RE: Hypothetic collecting - frozenace3356 - 04-21-2012

mine would have been 1993 also and most likely Jeter which I am trying to do now taking a lot to catch up to many cards now

RE: Hypothetic collecting - kata78 - 04-21-2012

1978 here....I guess Eddie Murray and Paul Molitor would be it for me.

RE: Hypothetic collecting - jhyde77 - 04-21-2012

If I could go back to 1987, I would stockpile near perfect McGwires (mainly the USA Tiffany) to load up on trade bait. I'm guessing the Tiffany probably sold for around $20 - $30.

RE: Hypothetic collecting - baseballmason - 04-22-2012

God, guess I'm the old fart on here! I would have been ten in 1968 so the no-brainer would be to load up on Nolan Ryan.