Beckett Message Boards
OT: Evidence or favoritism - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: OT: Evidence or favoritism (/thread-1496744.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

OT: Evidence or favoritism - phinzphan1372 - 04-20-2012

How Does A Team Make The Superbowl Then Have The Easiest Schedule In The NFL the Following Year?

RE: OT: Evidence or favoritism - BigBadBootyDaddy - 04-20-2012

the schedule is predetermined by rotation. Also, S.O.S. is very misleading especially when it comes to teams that have a very good year...simply because they can't play themselves so the odds of getting scheduled against a tough team are longer.

For example, lets look at the Patriots. Last year they won their division, and were the only team to make the playoffs from the AFC East. So they are already guaranteed to have 6 games against teams that didn't make the playoffs; that's more than a third of their schedule. The AFC East is also matched up against the NFC west this year, arguably the weakest division in the NFC and once again a division with just one playoff team. Which means 9 out of 10 games that we have already covered are against non playoff teams. It's all luck of the draw and how well your division did last year and who they are matched up against. Pre-season S.O.S. is really unimportant, the last few teams to have the "Easiest schedule" haven't even made the playoffs.

RE: OT: Evidence or favoritism - supbullcoc - 04-20-2012

(04-20-2012, 05:34 AM)BigBadBootyDaddy Wrote: the schedule is predetermined by rotation. Also, S.O.S. is very misleading especially when it comes to teams that have a very good year...simply because they can't play themselves so the odds of getting scheduled against a tough team are longer.

For example, lets look at the Patriots. Last year they won their division, and were the only team to make the playoffs from the AFC East. So they are already guaranteed to have 6 games against teams that didn't make the playoffs; that's more than a third of their schedule. The AFC East is also matched up against the NFC west this year, arguably the weakest division in the NFC and once again a division with just one playoff team. Which means 9 out of 10 games that we have already covered are against non playoff teams. It's all luck of the draw and how well your division did last year and who they are matched up against. Pre-season S.O.S. is really unimportant, the last few teams to have the "Easiest schedule" haven't even made the playoffs.

well put sir, well put

RE: OT: Evidence or favoritism - phinzphan1372 - 04-20-2012

still it reaks of favoritism..... just eels the anytime something is a "little off" in the nil the pats are involved somehow

RE: OT: Evidence or favoritism - giantfan270 - 04-20-2012

I think the Giants have a very tough schedule this year. December is gong to be a trial to say the least.

Sept. 5 (Wed) Dallas Cowboys 8:30 PM NBC
Sept. 16 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1:00 PM FOX
Sept. 20 (Thurs) @ Carolina Panthers 8:20 PM NFLN
Sept. 30 @ Philadelphia Eagles 8:20 PM NBC
Oct. 7 Cleveland Browns 1:00 PM CBS
Oct. 14 @ San Francisco 49ers 4:15 PM FOX
Oct. 21 Washington Redskins 1:00 PM FOX
Oct. 28 @ Dallas Cowboys 4:15 PM FOX
Nov. 4 Pittsburgh Steelers 4:15 PM CBS
Nov. 11 @ Cincinnati Bengals 1:00 PM FOX
Nov. 18 BYE
Nov. 25 Green Bay Packers 8:20 PM* NBC
Dec. 3 (Mon) @ Washington Redskins 8:30 PM ESPN
Dec. 9 New Orleans 4:15 PM* FOX
Dec. 16 @ Atlanta Falcons 1:00 PM* FOX
Dec. 23 @ Baltimore Ravens 1:00 PM* FOX
Dec. 30 Philadelphia Eagles 1:00 PM* FOX

RE: OT: Evidence or favoritism - mcleodfive - 04-20-2012

Has anyone seen the bucs schedule?? Talk about hard lol

Week 1: Sunday, September 9, Carolina Panthers, 4:15pm EDT
Week 2: Sunday, September 16, at New York Giants, 1:00pm EDT
Week 3: Sunday, September 23, at Dallas, 1:00pm EDT
Week 4: Sunday, September 30, Washington Redskins, 4:15pm EDT
Week 5: BYE
Week 6: Sunday, October 14, Kansas City Chiefs, 1:00pm EDT
Week 7: Sunday, October 21, New Orleans Saints, 1:00pm EDT
Week 8: Thursday, October 25, at Minnesota Vikings, 8:20pm EDT
Week 9: Sunday, November 4, at Oakland Raiders, 4:05pm EST
Week 10: Sunday, November 11, San Diego Chargers, 1:00pm EST
Week 11: Sunday, November 18, at Carolina Panthers, 1:00pm EST
Week 12: Sunday, November 25, Atlanta Falcons, 1:00pm EST
Week 13: Sunday, December 2, at Denver Broncos, 4:05pm EST
Week 14: Sunday, December 9, Philadelphia Eagles, 1:00pm EST
Week 15: Sunday, December 16, at New Orleans Saints, 1:00pm EST
Week 16: Sunday, December 23, St. Louis Rams, 1:00pm EST
Week 17: Sunday, December 30, at Atlanta Falcons, 1:00pm EST

I agree with phinz seems like favoritism to me lol. The pats shedule is A LOT easier than the bucs who didnt even make it to the playoffs!!

RE: OT: Evidence or favoritism - bselje - 04-20-2012

Based on strength of schedule, the Giants have THE hardest schedule for this coming season. The Pats have the easiest. Strange? yes. Conspiracy? doubt it.

RE: OT: Evidence or favoritism - jeremy0998 - 04-20-2012

I don't think there's any favoritisim involved in making the schedules. They are what they are. Every year the intradivisional play is predestined and so are the NFC-AFC games. That's 10 games on the schedule that you know they will be playing. Just because a team was good the previous year doesn't guarentee they will be good the following. Take for example Cincy swept the entire AFC North division (2009) and then the next couldn't make the playoffs (they only won 4 games in 2010). In 2005, the Steelers had what ESPN reporters called "the toughest schedule since 1975" as far as opponent win % in the previous year. According to the same reporters, they should have finished 9-7 and not make the playoffs. They made the playoffs and won the Super Bowl that season. I don't really think SOS really comes into play that much in the NFL because any given Sunday, any team can be beat and with free agency and/or the draft, bad teams can get better. I do like it, though, when the Steelers play a bunch of tough teams because in my mind, that's just preparation for the post season. It's just like old Rick Flair says, "To be the best you have to beat the best."

RE: OT: Evidence or favoritism - bakerman8419 - 04-20-2012

Anyone check out the Phins schedule? I know I havent because this season is a wash and Im already looking forwards to 2013!!!

RE: OT: Evidence or favoritism - bostonsports1 - 04-20-2012

(04-20-2012, 09:06 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Anyone check out the Phins schedule? I know I havent because this season is a wash and Im already looking forwards to 2013!!!

You think they will draft Tannehill?