Beckett Message Boards
How are the Harper hoarders feeling.... - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How are the Harper hoarders feeling.... (/thread-1496479.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

How are the Harper hoarders feeling.... - ryancholden - 04-17-2012

I am in a fantasy baseball league (a very very laid back league), and drafted Bryce Harper in a late round. It's not even a keeper league, but thought it would be fun to have both Rizzo and Harper on my team when they got called up this year. While Rizzo is hitting close to .400 with 5 dingers, here is what the news was on Mr. Harper today....have any of you hit the panic button yet?

Harper went 1-for-4 with a strikeout on Tuesday and is now batting just .245 this season.

Recommendation: This isn't the way the Nationals envisioned his season to begin, but better he works the kinks out in Triple-A than up in the majors. Harper has struggled with left-handed pitching this season, batting just .158 with six strikeouts in 20 plate appearances. He'll certainly need to turn things around if he wants to be called-up, but right now, the team is in no hurry to do so.
(Rotowire.com)

RE: How are the Harper hoarders feeling.... - rjcj2017 - 04-17-2012

(04-17-2012, 09:38 PM)ryancholden Wrote: I am in a fantasy baseball league (a very very laid back league), and drafted Bryce Harper in a late round. It's not even a keeper league, but thought it would be fun to have both Rizzo and Harper on my team when they got called up this year. While Rizzo is hitting close to .400 with 5 dingers, here is what the news was on Mr. Harper today....have any of you hit the panic button yet?

Harper went 1-for-4 with a strikeout on Tuesday and is now batting just .245 this season.

Recommendation: This isn't the way the Nationals envisioned his season to begin, but better he works the kinks out in Triple-A than up in the majors. Harper has struggled with left-handed pitching this season, batting just .158 with six strikeouts in 20 plate appearances. He'll certainly need to turn things around if he wants to be called-up, but right now, the team is in no hurry to do so.
(Rotowire.com)

He's started slowly at every level he's ever played at.

By the end of the season, he's usually the best player in the league.

That's what's great about baseball compared to other sports — it's a marathon, not a sprint.

He's 19. He'll be fine.

RE: How are the Harper hoarders feeling.... - ryancholden - 04-17-2012

(04-17-2012, 09:41 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: That's what's great about baseball compared to other sports — it's a marathon, not a sprint.

+1!

(04-17-2012, 09:44 PM)ryancholden Wrote: +1!

The other thing is, too, the Nats are off to a really good start.

So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and let Bryce work things out down on the farm.

They probably wouldn't have called him up until June anyway because of the Super 2 free agent thing.

By then, he'll be hitting .330 in Triple-A and this will all be behind him.

By the way, I pulled this out of a blaster at Target in November, it's a very famous thread on these boards:

[Image: Harper1.jpg]

Take care, RJ

RE: How are the Harper hoarders feeling.... - shaunbaus - 04-17-2012

Your a fool if you were thinking Rizzo or Harper were going to help you in your fantasy league this year. Hope you didn't waste high picks on them, if you got em in later rounds than its not so bad I guess. To soon to say anything either way at this point. Still early and like the other person said, there is still a ways to go. Probably wont really get a shot til next year anyways. I imagine there are a lot of players currently in the bigs at this point batting worse than .245 so I dont see it as that big of a deal.

(04-17-2012, 09:51 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: The other thing is, too, the Nats are off to a really good start.

So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and let Bryce work things out down on the farm.

They probably wouldn't have called him up until June anyway because of the Super 2 free agent thing.

By then, he'll be hitting .330 in Triple-A and this will all be behind him.

By the way, I pulled this out of a blaster at Target in November, it's a very famous thread on these boards:

[Image: Harper1.jpg]

Take care, RJ

Sweet card!!! I love hearing about big pulls from retail, especially since Target is the closest thing I have to a card shop in my neck of the woods.

(04-17-2012, 09:54 PM)shaunbaus Wrote: Your a fool if you were thinking Rizzo or Harper were going to help you in your fantasy league this year. Hope you didn't waste high picks on them, if you got em in later rounds than its not so bad I guess. To soon to say anything either way at this point. Still early and like the other person said, there is still a ways to go. Probably wont really get a shot til next year anyways. I imagine there are a lot of players currently in the bigs at this point batting worse than .245 so I dont see it as that big of a deal.

This was in the first line of the post:

I am in a fantasy baseball league (a very very laid back league), and drafted Bryce Harper in a late round.

(04-17-2012, 09:55 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: This was in the first line of the post:

I am in a fantasy baseball league (a very very laid back league), and drafted Bryce Harper in a late round.

Thanks for noticing that! Yeah, it's a free league and really just a reason to catch up with buddies throughout the week. My version of fantasy baseball is giving up after week 1. In years past some of the Cubs fans in the league have drafter basically the 25 man roster.... VERY laid back.

Surprisingly my 7 year old son helping me draft the bulk of my starters is a much better strategy than mine in year's past.
(04-17-2012, 09:54 PM)shaunbaus Wrote: I imagine there are a lot of players currently in the bigs at this point batting worse than .245 so I dont see it as that big of a deal.

And to your point shaunbaus, I have several of those players on my fantasy team. Blah.

(04-17-2012, 10:09 PM)ryancholden Wrote: Thanks for noticing that! Yeah, it's a free league and really just a reason to catch up with buddies throughout the week. My version of fantasy baseball is giving up after week 1. In years past some of the Cubs fans in the league have drafter basically the 25 man roster.... VERY laid back.

Surprisingly my 7 year old son helping me draft the bulk of my starters is a much better strategy than mine in year's past.

I just can't do fantasy sports because I would be indirectly rooting against my own teams on occasion. But, good luck in your league ...

RE: How are the Harper hoarders feeling.... - iconms - 04-17-2012

He will 100% get called up at some point this year - regardless of his AAA numbers - to sell tickets. They waited for as long as possible to send him down in spring training for this very reason. They knew the whole time he wouldn't break camp with the big club.

I wouldn't want him for fantasy in a re-draft league this year...but I do think he will eventually be the real deal