Beckett Message Boards
Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team *The decision has been made* - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team *The decision has been made* (/thread-1489478.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team *The decision has been made* - ryancholden - 03-01-2012

So here's the deal: I love football. Love it. But my life is getting very busy with work, family, kids in sports on the weekends, etc. So I have decided to really concentrate on enjoying Sunday football, rather than College Football Saturdays. Saturdays for me, especially in the fall, usually mean coaching kids soccer games, honey-do list, going to the in-laws, and less and less watching the Hawkeyes be a marginal Big 10 team.

I live in Iowa, and have no real connection to any NFL team. I thought it would be fun to have the Beckett Community help me narrow down to a team to root for this upcoming season, as well as collect said team's cards. If you're a hard-core fan of a specific team and just can't bare this concept, take it easy, and know that I want what you have!

Here's what I've got so far. Share your thoughts!

So the contenders are:

Packers- My brother in law grew up 30 miles down the road from there. I love Wisconsin. Lots of Packers fans around. Green Bay feels more like "home" than a huge city. BUT, they are one fo the top bandwagon teams out there, so that hurts...

Bears- Grew up 3 hours from there in the Quad Cities. Love Ditka. Probably considered myself a Bears fan in high school, but question that since I also loved Favre. I do like Chicago.

Vikings- I live 3 hours from the Twin Cities now, so they are the closest franchise by about 2 hours. That's about all I've got. THough they just announced a press conference for their new stadium, and that is definitely exciting. If I were to go see a game live, this is the best choice due to proximity.

Jets- Well, green is a great color. Adam Sandler is a fan. I happen to be an aviation enthusiast. Shonne Green was a Hawkeye...Too dysfunctional?

Miami- Well, great jerseys, something about South Beach is kind of cool, but they really seem to be in continual flux.

Pittsburgh- I have friends that live there. Love their uniforms, stadium, history...A lot of recent success, and a HUGE bandwagon team.

Bengals- Well, a sour history the last two decades, but hopefully with Dalton and AJ Green. I happen to think Cinci is a pretty cool city. Colors are that of my almamater.

Titans- There just isn't anything to deter or really attract me from this franchise.

Colts- I am a big Peyton fan. My wife grew up an hour away from Indy. Just not sure (much like when I was a Favre fan), if I still would enjoy the Colts without Peyton?

Chiefs- Well, they are a 5 hour drive, so in Iowa they are considered one of the 5 "local" teams. That's about it.

So, have some fun and let me know what you think!

RE: Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team - branesergen - 03-01-2012

Vikings - They are closest and probably the only team you'll get to watch regularly lol

RE: Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team - estuaryman - 03-01-2012

Yeah I would say the Vikings too. A 3 hour drive away. Maybe go to a pre season game and see if you feel that connection to the team?

And maybe take the family for a day out to Vikings training camp? A chance to get autographs of Ponder, Peterson and co.

RE: Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team - ryancholden - 03-01-2012

(03-01-2012, 10:55 AM)branesergen Wrote: Vikings - They are closest and probably the only team you'll get to watch regularly lol

They are the closest. But Packers, Vikings, Bears and Chiefs are all televised very regularly with the regional feed. Maybe that is reason alone to narrow down to those 4 teams?

RE: Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team - estuaryman - 03-01-2012

In that case you may well be torn between the Bears and Packers. Being a Bears fan at High School, and your Brother in Law just 30 miles from Lambeau, you've got "connections" there.

RE: Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team - christiancrane - 03-01-2012

(03-01-2012, 10:52 AM)ryancholden Wrote: So here's the deal: I love football. Love it. But my life is getting very busy with work, family, kids in sports on the weekends, etc. So I have decided to really concentrate on enjoying Sunday football, rather than College Football Saturdays. Saturdays for me, especially in the fall, usually mean coaching kids soccer games, honey-do list, going to the in-laws, and less and less watching the Hawkeyes be a marginal Big 10 team.

I live in Iowa, and have no real connection to any NFL team. I thought it would be fun to have the Beckett Community help me narrow down to a team to root for this upcoming season, as well as collect said team's cards. If you're a hard-core fan of a specific team and just can't bare this concept, take it easy, and know that I want what you have!

Here's what I've got so far. Share your thoughts!

Teams that are out of the running for various reasons:

NFC East- Just can't picture it. Cowboys are "America's Team", Giants just won a Superbowl, and really don't "feel" the Skins or the Eagles.

Detroit Lions- Love their colors, loved Barry highlights, but I don't feel right about jumping on their bandwagon having had no real interest in years past.

Saints- Too bandwagony

Falcons- Would rather root for a team that is NFL-centric...Atlanta doesn't seem to be that.

Panthers- Too bandwagony with Cam's recent success, and I'm not sure how much I like Cam.

Bucs- See Falcons

Cardinals- See Bucs

49ers- Loved the 1990's version of the 49ers, but due to their success last year, I'd consider this a bandwagony team

Rams- See Cardinals

Patriots- They are the team I love to hate. Just too good, too often

Buffalo- Eh

Ravens- Just never felt them. Awesome franchise, but doesn't feel right

Browns- Too much sour history!

Jags- Would rather not root for a team that might be in LA in a couple years

Broncos- Two words: Tebow Mania

Chargers- Too blasted far away. Couldn't have a conversation with anybody around here about them.

Raiders- Too Crazy.

Arizona, Houston and Seattle- See Chargers

So the contenders are:

Packers- My brother in law grew up 30 miles down the road from there. I love Wisconsin. Lots of Packers fans around. Green Bay feels more like "home" than a huge city. BUT, they are one fo the top bandwagon teams out there, so that hurts...

Bears- Grew up 3 hours from there in the Quad Cities. Love Ditka. Probably considered myself a Bears fan in high school, but question that since I also loved Favre. I do like Chicago.

Vikings- I live 3 hours from the Twin Cities now, so they are the closest franchise by about 2 hours. That's about all I've got. THough they just announced a press conference for their new stadium, and that is definitely exciting. If I were to go see a game live, this is the best choice due to proximity.

Jets- Well, green is a great color. Adam Sandler is a fan. I happen to be an aviation enthusiast. Shonne Green was a Hawkeye...Too dysfunctional?

Miami- Well, great jerseys, something about South Beach is kind of cool, but they really seem to be in continual flux.

Pittsburgh- I have friends that live there. Love their uniforms, stadium, history...A lot of recent success, and a HUGE bandwagon team.

Bengals- Well, a sour history the last two decades, but hopefully with Dalton and AJ Green. I happen to think Cinci is a pretty cool city. Colors are that of my almamater.

Titans- There just isn't anything to deter or really attract me from this franchise.

Colts- I am a big Peyton fan. My wife grew up an hour away from Indy. Just not sure (much like when I was a Favre fan), if I still would enjoy the Colts without Peyton?

Chiefs- Well, they are a 5 hour drive, so in Iowa they are considered one of the 5 "local" teams. That's about it.

So, have some fun and let me know what you think!

I know you said the Jags aren't in the running, but I'd be remiss not to comment on your reason:

Jaguars aren't moving to LA in a couple years. It's a small-ish, underdog of a city, which makes it an easy target. It's the least popular team in the NFL, which makes it an even easier target. And it's not the only city that has been rumored to move there - certainly the Vikings have been mentioned as much as the Jags (let it be stated that I would HATE to see any city lose a team. I'm not throwing the Vikings name out there because I think they have a greater chance of moving, simply because they've been mentioned along with the Jags).

Since Khan has taken over ownership, there has been a lot of local excitement and interest in the team. There's a vibe here locally that hasn't been felt since the team started playing in 95.

Former Iowa Hawkeyes on Jags:
Aaron Kampman
Matt Roth

Long-time Jag Brad Meester went to Northern Iowa (but is that even a selling point?!)

And Jags fans have a sense of humor:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cts=1330618942643&ved=0CEgQtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DglCRe7cSqhw&ei=6qFPT7LPHcjKiQLmyvS0Bg&usg=AFQjCNEn9bSTGFujM1YXBen9vvpIiN_CCA&sig2=KbVUB2jFUILqoI6h_v3YZg

And finally, Jags cards are some of the most affordable out there!

Regardless, have fun with whichever team you decide on!

Hey, great points Christiancrane! Love it! I used to work with Brad Meester's cousin...completely forgot about him! I'd hate to see that Jags leave town too. It looks like their attendance picked up the last two weeks, so that's great.

RE: Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team - gangstippie - 03-01-2012

I say Chicago. They are fairly consistent team with a rich history in the NFL. They have very good players that are somewhat affordable. Good luck choosing a team!

RE: Off Season Counseling: Help me choose a team - peytonvols18 - 03-01-2012

Well all I can say is that KC Cheifs are not a bandwagony team, They have great rookie potiental and young player potiential. Also Peyton could end up there. Packers, Vikings, Pittsburgh are about the most bandwagony teams that I know of.

I understand the Packers and Steelers being bandwagon teams, but the Vikings? Interesting. Wouldn't that be something if Peyton went to the Chiefs. I will probably root for whoever Peyton goes to on the side.

Seems like I'm usually torn between the Bears and Packers, which just seems wrong. lol.