Beckett Message Boards
UPDATE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: UPDATE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups (/thread-1488621.html)

Pages: 1 2

UPDATE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - crazy4cardz - 02-25-2012

I was recently perusing the online classifieds for one of the daily newspapers in my state. I usually don't have much success; most people would like to sell their 80-90 cards for a premium - they believe they are sitting on gold mines! I came across a guy who was running ads to get rid of some memorabilia - he had retired and the ads had been sitting for a long time. So I called him and it was obvious that he was an avid collector. What caught my eye were a few simple items that he had matted and framed. We negotiated and extremely fair price and he and his wife drove four hours the next day and met me at a local Maverick and we exchanged $ for a portion of his collection. He brought with him the rest of his non card collection, and I was amazed! I picked up a few pieces; he asked if I were interested in the rest of his collection. I told him of course I was, but couldn't afford it now. He told me that he wanted someone who appreciated it to have it, so he would keep it all and sell it to me at a much reduced rate a piece at a time as I could afford to do so. He mentioned that because his children showed little or no interest in his collection, he recently had sold his 1954 - 1957 Topps Complete sets and traveled the world with his wife!

The first few purchases were simple, but are neat additions for when I get my mancave one day. Thanks for letting me share!

[Image: HonusWagnerArtwork.jpg]

[Image: 1952MickeyMantleArtwork.jpg]

He mentioned that he purchased these two framed pieces from a card store that was going out of business about forty years ago. While I may never have the real things, these two pieces are beautifully replicated and will have to do!

[Image: SportsIllustratedBBcards.jpg]

He had the original 2nd edition SI that came with the Yankee cards folded insert. He kept the issue, originally published in 1954, and had the cards matted and framed. They look amazing!

That was the extent of my purchase to this point. He threw in a few extras that I thought were great, being a Mantle fan!

[Image: MickeyMantleTalkingBBcard.jpg]

Mickey Mantle Talking Baseball Card

[Image: MickeyMantleRecord.jpg]

Mickey Mantle Record

[Image: MickeyMantleMagnumComic.jpg]

1991 Magnum Comic - Mickey Mantle

[Image: BaseballLegendsMickeyMantle.jpg]

Baseball Legends Comic - Mickey Mantle

[Image: MickeyMantleUnderwearAd.jpg]

An original ad for Mickey Mantle selling underwear - I guess even the best of us do silly things for the almighty dollar!

He had a ton of other stuff - too much to mention here. Maybe not so impressive to some, but I've always dreamed of running across a garage sale, an estate sale, or something as such. Maybe this will turn into a great find!

Thanks for readingSmile

RE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - jimfalbo21 - 02-25-2012

cool pickups!

RE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - wolverine74 - 02-25-2012

I really like the framed SI insert. And the ad for the tighty-whities is a really unusual find. Congrats on the current - and possible future - pickups

RE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - beginesj - 02-25-2012

Those are some great finds and pickups. I really like the comic!!

RE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - mgruber2 - 02-25-2012

Very nice additions!

RE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - ryancholden - 02-25-2012

Those are awesome! Congrats!

RE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - Jakelovescards - 02-25-2012

Wow, I love this kind of stuff and I have a closet full myself for my someday man cave (1.5 years until my oldest leaves for college ! Mancave count down). These are done so well. The matting and framing alone is costly. These are great !

RE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - frostycollects - 02-25-2012

Pretty nifty....esp the framed pieces.

RE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - crazy4cardz - 02-25-2012

(02-25-2012, 02:58 AM)jimfalbo21 Wrote: cool pickups!

Thanks! The guy is a Mantle nut and has a ton of his stuff!

(02-25-2012, 07:48 AM)wolverine74 Wrote: I really like the framed SI insert. And the ad for the tighty-whities is a really unusual find. Congrats on the current - and possible future - pickups

I loved the framed SI insert - it was one of the things that caught my eye. I love the fact that he bought that issue, took care of it for so many years, and then had it professionally matted and framed. They are not way out of range on eBay, but the presentation for this adds to it.

As far as the ad goes, he just gave that to me with the record and the talking baseball card along with the comics. Nice bonus!

(02-25-2012, 11:52 AM)beginesj Wrote: Those are some great finds and pickups. I really like the comic!!

Thanks Jeremy! The comics were a cool bonus for me. It has set me off into another area of Mantle collectibles!

(02-25-2012, 12:00 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: Very nice additions!

Thanks Mike! Did you get that Verlander card yet?

(02-25-2012, 02:02 PM)ryancholden Wrote: Those are awesome! Congrats!

Thanks! I wish there were more people like him to find!

(02-25-2012, 03:08 PM)Jakelovescards Wrote: Wow, I love this kind of stuff and I have a closet full myself for my someday man cave (1.5 years until my oldest leaves for college ! Mancave count down). These are done so well. The matting and framing alone is costly. These are great !

I am in the same boat! I used to collect autographed pics of HOF and old timers, but stopped because they get looked at once and put in storage! I was so close to my mancave - my son had moved out and I wanted to redo the room - carpet, paint, etc. I waited too long and he decided to get married in April ... His lease was up and guess where he moved back to until April? Yah...my mancaveSad But come August, there will be two empty rooms as my daughter leaves for college. Only two more (13 and 14) and there is the potential for multiple rooms...well, wishful thinking!

The gentleman that I purchased them from recently retired from the insurance business and all of these hung in his business offices, including many Cooperstown limited edition prints that he is holding for me. His wife spent a lot getting them framed and matted professionally. Even though the Mantle and Wagner are reprints, in person they look amazing - he referred to them as artwork lol.

Thanks for the compliments. They are leaning against a wall in the family room. The chances of them going up on the wall there? Ummm, not likely!

(02-25-2012, 03:23 PM)frostycollects Wrote: Pretty nifty....esp the framed pieces.

Thanks! He is sending me a list of some other pieces that he has set aside for me. I will post them as I pay for them! Next is the 1996 - 2000 Danbury Mint Chess Set Plus cards. He showed me this set he collected over four years and it is incredible. I looked it up at a recent Robert Edwards Auction and it sold for $1160.

UPDATE: A Memorable Experience and some non card pickups - crazy4cardz - 04-08-2012

Update on the memorable experience: About a week ago the guy I bought the previous items from called me and told me that he and his wife were moving to Palm Springs and wanted to know if I wanted the remaining items in his collection that I had expressed an interest in. I told him that I couldn't pay for them right now, as I had other obligations. He said that he trusted me, and that he didn't want to take them with him, and he would leave me the items and I could pay a little each month.

Here were some of the items that he left. I'll post some pictures and a link to my photobucket page with greater details for those who are interested. All I can say is that with my son getting moving out and getting married in two weeks, I can see my mancave shaping up nicely!

[Image: RuthandGehrigCollection-Framed.jpg]

Cooperstown Collection: The Iron Horse and the Sultan Of Swat

[Image: MickeyMantleCooperstownCollectionFramed.jpg]

Cooperstown Collection: The Mick

[Image: JackieRobinsonCooperstownCollection-Framed.jpg]

Cooperstown Collection: Breaking the Barrier - Jackie Robinson

[Image: StanMusialPuzzle.jpg]

Framed Donruss Puzzle - Stan Musial

[Image: TyCobbPuzzle.jpg]

Framed Donruss Puzzle - Ty Cobb

[Image: HankAaronPuzzle.jpg]

Framed Donruss Puzzle - Hank Aaron

[Image: LouGehrigPuzzle.jpg]

Framed Donruss Puzzle - Lou Gehrig

[Image: BabeRuthPuzzle.jpg]

Framed Donruss Puzzle - Babe Ruth

[Image: DukeSniderPuzzle.jpg]

Framed Donruss Puzzle - Duke Snider

more to follow...

[Image: WillieMickeyandtheDukePciture.jpg]

Willie, Mickey, and the Duke - Autographed By Duke Snider

[Image: WillieMickeyandtheDuke-Framed.jpg]

Willie, Mickey, and the Duke Album - Framed

[Image: MickeyMantlePencilEtchingUpClose.jpg]

Mickey Mantle Pencil Etching in Names of Yankees

[Image: MickeyMantlePostcards.jpg]

Mickey Mantle Postcards - Framed

[Image: LouGehrig-Framed.jpg]

Lou Gehrig - Final Farewell - Framed

[Image: DonLarsen-Framed.jpg]

Don Larsen - Perfect Game - Framed

[Image: BaseballCardPuzzle-Framed.jpg]

Baseball Card Puzzle Collage - Framed

[Image: Barnstorming-Framed.jpg]

Ruth and Gehrig Barnstorming - Framed

[Image: BabeRuth-Framed.jpg]

The Sultan of Swat - Framed

[Image: ChessSet.jpg]

The Danbury Chess Set

[Image: ALBoardSide.jpg]

The American League Side of the Chess Set
(Jeremy I still owe you a chess game...after my son's wedding!)

[Image: CeramicBBCardDisplay.jpg]

Danbury Ceramic Baseball Card Set

And my absolute favorite piece...

[Image: CaseyAtTheBatBronze.jpg]

Casey at the Bat - Bronze Statue

[Image: CaseyUpClose.jpg]

Up Close with Casey

Here is the link to my photobucket with more detailed pictures of the chess pieces and the individual cards. Thanks for the look!

http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q514/crazy4cardz/Memorabilia/