Beckett Message Boards
Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (http://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Vintage (/forum-59.html)
+--- Thread: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? (/thread-1487816.html)

Pages: 1 2

Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - Haze28 - 02-19-2012 07:46 PM

When it comes to Vintage, I am hesitant to buy online without being able to actually see the cards. Is there a list of sellers that are legit with their pics and descriptions that most of you guys have had dealings with?

RE: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - coimbre 21 - 02-20-2012 04:40 PM

It depends on what your vintage interests are.

If I'm not as familiar with a pre-1950s issue, I will generally buy graded cards and from a much broader list of dealers.

For 1950s-1970s raw cards though I've had great success with large dealers like just_collect & justcollectcards (both the same but two stores) and dslsports.

Battersbox has been around longer than ebay and has a large number of listings but you can get better savings through their monthly catalog.

jhustle1 has been a great experience and often has some of the rarer issues I'm seeking.

One ebay dealer I would stay away from is TriplePlayVintage. Although I got a refund, I discovered this dealer sold me over 70 trimmed and touched up cards over a five year period. I've never had this issue with any of the other dealers I mentioned above.

I'm interested in what dealers others would recommend.

RE: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - coimbre 21 - 02-25-2012 03:19 PM

I'm a little surprised that no other recommendations have been made so far.

RE: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - filamuraireborn - 02-27-2012 10:30 AM

Maybe nobody wants to have competition. Buyers tend to protect their territory. Smile

RE: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - Haze28 - 02-29-2012 10:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far, I wish I could afford to buy graded vintage but that just isn't in the cards right now. Pun intended...

RE: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - walth4 - 02-29-2012 08:22 PM

I've had pretty good luck with most eBay sellers. klinger83 and gregmorriscards are a couple I have bought from that I have been happy with. I tend to buy mostly graded now so my "raw" experience is kinda limited.

One seller that I've heard about through the grapevine that can be a little sketchy is waverly82. Can't remember where I heard it (I "think" in the PSA message boards) but he's apparently been known to doctor up some cards. Can't say from experience, just something I've heard.

This isn't a bad seller, but if you're looking for high grade cards (PSA 8 or above especially from older cards) don't expect to find a 10 from newenglandsportscards. I've heard this from a guy I know that has some very good ties with PSA. You know who 4_sharp_corners is? Pretty much all they sell is graded stuff. They submit TONS of cards to PSA. When the cards don't come back with a 10 (or 8 to 9 depending on age), guess where they go to? Newenglandsportscards. Apparently they are the sister company that sells off all the stuff that 4_sharp rejects or comes back low grade from PSA. I've bought several 1957 Topps cards from them that I was sure would have been 8's, but they all came back 7's.

RE: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - Haze28 - 03-01-2012 04:21 AM

I'm actually bidding on a few cards from that Waverly guy right now. He has a 1961 Topps set break going on. I hope those cards aren't doctored. They look fantastic in the scans. I guess I will find out if I win any of them. I will do a search for the others and check them out as well, thanks!

RE: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - coimbre 21 - 03-01-2012 10:31 PM

(02-29-2012 08:22 PM)walth4 Wrote:  I've had pretty good luck with most eBay sellers. klinger83 and gregmorriscards are a couple I have bought from that I have been happy with. I tend to buy mostly graded now so my "raw" experience is kinda limited.

One seller that I've heard about through the grapevine that can be a little sketchy is waverly82. Can't remember where I heard it (I "think" in the PSA message boards) but he's apparently been known to doctor up some cards. Can't say from experience, just something I've heard.

This isn't a bad seller, but if you're looking for high grade cards (PSA 8 or above especially from older cards) don't expect to find a 10 from newenglandsportscards. I've heard this from a guy I know that has some very good ties with PSA. You know who 4_sharp_corners is? Pretty much all they sell is graded stuff. They submit TONS of cards to PSA. When the cards don't come back with a 10 (or 8 to 9 depending on age), guess where they go to? Newenglandsportscards. Apparently they are the sister company that sells off all the stuff that 4_sharp rejects or comes back low grade from PSA. I've bought several 1957 Topps cards from them that I was sure would have been 8's, but they all came back 7's.

I made the connection between 4 Sharp Corners and Newenglandsportscards a few years back when I noticed shipments from the same address for both. I've had a very good experience with NESC with the exception of one 1967 Topps card that was trimmed and promptly refunded. I did grade a 1966 Mantle Rub Off which received a BVG 8, purchased as a NM raw insert. I also purchased a very sharp lot of 400 1975 Topps minis from NESC, none trimmed, that I am very happy with. You are correct, though, their large lots tend to have a larger share of OC cards but still a decent value in the purchases I've made. I have seen a few posts, one on an ebay forum, claiming that 4 Sharp Corners deals trimmed cards, which apparently PSA doesn't catch. With as much volume as 4SC does, I can't imagine that PSA is looking at every single card for trimming. After reading these posts, I did inspect about 30 1973 Topps PSA 8's that I purchased from $SC, each for under $4, and found no evidence of trimming with the use of a 10x loupe.

RE: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - walth4 - 03-01-2012 10:41 PM

(03-01-2012 10:31 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote:  I made the connection between 4 Sharp Corners and Newenglandsportscards a few years back when I noticed shipments from the same address for both. I've had a very good experience with NESC with the exception of one 1967 Topps card that was trimmed and promptly refunded. I did grade a 1966 Mantle Rub Offs which received a BVG 8, purchased as a NM raw insert. I also purchased a very sharp lot of 400 1975 Topps minis from NESC, none trimmed, that I am very happy with. You are correct, though, their large lots tend to have a larger share of OC cards but still a decent value in the purchases I've made. I have seen a few posts, one on an ebay forum, claiming that 4 Sharp Corners deals trimmed cards, which apparently PSA doesn't catch. With as much volume as 4SC does, I can't imagine that PSA is looking at every single card for trimming. After reading these posts, I did inspect about 30 1973 Topps PSA 8 that I purchased from $SC, each for under $4, and found no evidence of trimming with the use of a 10x loupe.

I've heard a few rumblings about 4SC trimming cards, but I think those cases are pretty rare. I personally have no problem with NESC and their raw cards; I just think in the back of my mind that most of the time I'm not gonna get the grade I expect if I sub the cards. If I want some nice raw cards, I'd definitely go that direction.

I've heard that since 4SC is a pretty big PSA customer, they work some deals that if cards don't come back as 9's or 10's (give or take on age), PSA doesn't get paid for the low grade cards. It may be just my imagination, but there are some 9's that I've bought as upgrades from 4SC, and the 8 that I replaced it with looked MUCH better. I'm pretty sure that the graders wouldn't know who the sub was from and make decisions based on that. I would be severely disappointed if someone told me otherwise. But on the other hand, PSA probably wants to make their money instead of returning cards that don't meet 4SC's deal.

I'm in no way ripping on NESC and 4SC in these posts. I've spent large chunks of money with both and been very satisfied. It's interesting to hear of other peoples dealings with these people.

Honestly I think 4SC has a great business model. The amount of inventory and variety they offer is impressive. I gotta imagine they get a smoking deal on grading fees.

RE: Trustworthy Ebay sellers? - Haze28 - 03-02-2012 08:21 AM

I was looking at 4SC's stuff and they do have a very wide variety. I think I will give them a shot and see what I get.