Beckett Message Boards
The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! (/thread-1486105.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - tupark82 - 03-20-2012

lin's playing a different style of basketball now. he brought great tempo to close out the pacers in the last game. the knicks have become fun again since woodson took over. it annoys me to no end that melo tries or not tries depending on who's coaching him, but i'm at least glad to see that he's capable of putting in better effort on the defensive end.

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - dutch81 - 03-21-2012

(03-19-2012, 07:36 PM)jchavestx Wrote: Dutch81 you sir are my hero.

Didn't pay $21K for a card but I paid $3K for his 2010-11 Absolute Memorabilia Spectrum Platinum #136 Jeremy Lin, #'d 1/25 and a bunch of other autos (4) and rookie cards (22). Just a small investment i made as a Knick fan and an Asian-American (my parents are from S. Korea but NY is my home and always will be. I've never even been to Asia or left the States.)

I'm heavily invested in Yankee cards and most NBA rookies worth keeping from Shaq RCs to Lin RCs and I've never seen anything like this. I was born in Queens, NY and never left the States once so I can't help but to root for the guy who revitalized MSG. Very similar to the Ewing/Mason/Oakley days. I just moved to Chicago for work and since I can no longer visit MSG, i have some $ freed up. I started bidding on Lin cards after his 4th game as a starter and now have cards waiting to be shipped out to PSA. Since I'd only be able to watch my team at the United Center a few times a year, I bid on some of the rarest I could find. I've been collecting cards since I was 16 and I've never seen anything like this, fluctuating prices in such a short amount of time. I can't predict the future, but I'm pretty sure I can turn a profit on these cards. As long as I keep my eye on the market, trends and the Beckett price guide. According to Beckett, my card 1/25 card is worth anywhere from 2-3K depending on condition. When the Knicks make the playoffs, thats when the real Linsanity will begin.

Although I know he can't sustain his #'s when Melo and Stat were out, I DO think his rookie/auto cards are a different story and they aren't directly correlated to each other. Basically, if the Knicks win and he averages less PPG, APG, etc, that's better than the Knicks losing and him having better stats, especially if they go deep in the playoffs. With Woodson leading the way and the superstars buying into defense, a lot of teams will not want to face the Knicks. Add to that team chemistry and I think Linsanity is still far from over.

There's always a few guys that pop off with the mouth before getting their facts straight and forums are no different. If you wanna say you don't like him, or you think he's overrated, fine. Just don't say "he's not from here like the other guys" and expect to be taken seriously, even from a guy with a total of 5 posts.

I'm having the time of my life watching my Knicks and at the same time, will turn a profit when its time for me to sell. 5 in a row tonight baby! THE KNICKS ARE BACK BABY! PLAYING D AND MELO'S SHARING THE ROCK! GG SIXERS!
Wow, just noticed all the "jokes". $21K not really the same as $3K but close enough, right?

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - robd5811 - 03-21-2012

This explains it all..asian american knick fan who spent a few thousand on lin cards...why didnt you say so lol..nah man but everything is cool i hope lin does get better..i was just against him being hyped up as much as he was and his card prices going crazy high because of it, just didnt make sense to me..on another note i still hate the knicks and i hope they lose tonite Smile lol

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - pingbling23 - 03-21-2012

if you bought all of those cards after he was already starting, i hightly doubt you will be able to turn a profit on them, his stuff is going down and i doubt it will ever get as high as it was. those first few games were lincredible, but the rest is just linevitable. i dont hate on lin, im glad he has brought more life into the league, the garden, and our hobby!!!!!

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - filamuraireborn - 03-21-2012

(03-21-2012, 07:25 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: if you bought all of those cards after he was already starting, i hightly doubt you will be able to turn a profit on them, his stuff is going down and i doubt it will ever get as high as it was. those first few games were lincredible, but the rest is just linevitable. i dont hate on lin, im glad he has brought more life into the league, the garden, and our hobby!!!!!

i hope that our hobby goes stronger as lin will prove his ability to superstardom. regular season mvp, is... jeremy lin. that is just a dream but nothing is wrong with that, right?

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - chemainus - 03-21-2012

(03-21-2012, 07:25 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: if you bought all of those cards after he was already starting, i hightly doubt you will be able to turn a profit on them, his stuff is going down and i doubt it will ever get as high as it was. those first few games were lincredible, but the rest is just linevitable. i dont hate on lin, im glad he has brought more life into the league, the garden, and our hobby!!!!!

+1 Unlikely to turn a profit!

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - jchavestx - 03-21-2012

This thread just won't die.

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - filamuraireborn - 03-21-2012

(03-21-2012, 08:44 PM)jchavestx Wrote: This thread just won't die.

because pingbling used the word crazy in the title and it is, that's my goofy opinion. Big Grin

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - xstreaminsanity - 03-22-2012

Why not BGS? PSA = Bleh. Smile

RE: The Lin Hype is Crazy!!!!!! - dutch81 - 03-22-2012

(03-21-2012, 05:49 PM)robd5811 Wrote: This explains it all..asian american knick fan who spent a few thousand on lin cards...why didnt you say so lol..nah man but everything is cool i hope lin does get better..i was just against him being hyped up as much as he was and his card prices going crazy high because of it, just didnt make sense to me..on another note i still hate the knicks and i hope they lose tonite Smile lol

Sorry to disappoint you but they're 5-0 under Woodson. Let's go for 6 on Friday vs. the lowly Raptors. He shot 1-10 to begin but ended with 18/3, had a huge block in the closing seconds and went 10-10 from the line in the 4th quarter. Not his best game, but he's been averaging 2.5 T.O's in the last 5 games and Knicks are on a roll. He's definitely making the adjustments. Say what you want about him, he's a clutch player. His PPG go up every quarter. He averages like 8-9 PPG in the 4th quarter.

Did ya'll see Amare posterizing the Sixers last night? Gross.

I can respect that. The whole hobby took a hit after the stock market crashed and has never fully recovered. I read an article that said Linsanity has helped increase the value of sports collecting as a whole and not just for NBA which I think is more than anyone one of us could hope for.
(03-21-2012, 08:18 PM)chemainus Wrote: +1 Unlikely to turn a profit!

We'll see once the Knicks make the playoffs if Linsanity is over or just beginning. Especially if they avoid MIA/CHI in the 1st round.