Beckett Message Boards
Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies (/thread-1481943.html)

Pages: 1 2

Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - mrr82 - 01-20-2012

Hi Anyone,

I was interested in opening my own card shop, which is neccesary to first have for card companies to even tell you what their prices would be, let alone tell you if they will sell to you (Which I find frustrating). Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this, or know what the prices would be? I'm trying to do a cost analysis to see if it's even possible which is hard to do without numbers, or experience.

RE: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - iujapander - 01-20-2012

My LCS doesn't even buy direct. So I'm assuming you have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in wax to get direct access.

I think there is a website called dealer net, that you can go to once you have a card shop and you can get pretty competitive prices.

Of coarse I could be completely off on this.

RE: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - Krangry - 01-20-2012

All of the LCS's i go to go through Distributers.

RE: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - petesahuttt - 01-20-2012

I used to chat with the owner of a card store and he told me that in order for him to be able to order higher-end products he had to purchase a certain amount of base product. I recall him saying that in order to order 2 cases of Topps Sterling he had to order 20 cases of base Topps. It almost seemed like extortion to me. If you are having hopes of saving a few dollars by ordering direct....don't. Just order from one of the few big online dealers, you'll save alot more that way.

RE: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - mikmouse24 - 01-20-2012

And the online distributors have deals for guys like you that are going to be buying multi-cases anyway

RE: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - michaelpoyma - 01-20-2012

The card shop guys I've talked with have told me that having their own shop almost kills their personal collecting. One guy said, when he first started, he got real excited and kept opening up his product. He had to learn to discipline himself to keep from losing what little profit he makes. Both have told me not to expect getting rich being a shop owner, that's for sure.

RE: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - chiefsncards275 - 01-20-2012

(01-20-2012, 03:38 PM)michaelpoyma Wrote: The card shop guys I've talked with have told me that having their own shop almost kills their personal collecting. One guy said, when he first started, he got real excited and kept opening up his product. He had to learn to discipline himself to keep from losing what little profit he makes. Both have told me not to expect getting rich being a shop owner, that's for sure.

i would rather be barely making it through and be a card shop owner than to be rich and have a job i dont like

RE: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - Jakelovescards - 01-20-2012

Yeah my lcs guy is a great friend to me. The only company he does buy direct from is upper deck. The rest is from distributors and card shows. I guess some of the dealers at shows help each other out. Because as stated above most of the time you have to buy som much of each product I think they split the products and the cost. If I had the money I would love to have a card shop. I think it would be slim living as far as income, but I also would rather be happy and poor than rich and resentful of my job. Good luck man, if you need a good contact feel free to pm me and I will give my. Lcs guys info, he is an honest fair guy and really nice, sure he would be glad to share his knowledge and advise.

RE: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - murrylove - 01-20-2012

You could also talt to chadcards, he is usually on the football boards. He or his father own a card shop.

RE: Buying Boxes Directly from Card Companies - cptnemo66 - 01-20-2012

MY LCS buys from a vendor.