Beckett Message Boards
OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? (/thread-1469389.html)

Pages: 1 2

OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - xstreaminsanity - 12-12-2011

I've never really been a big resolutions guy. I've made some here and there (the usual, health, money, etc.) but never really followed through on them. After some recent life trials and tribulations, I've made a few life resolutions that I highly intend on following through on (again, health, money, etc.). However, I decided to make myself some hobby resolutions to. Here are my hobby resolutions for the new year (in no particular order).

<ul>
<li>Scan as many cards as I can and get them uploaded into the system.</li>
<li>Get more of my Pistons PC graded.</li>
<li>Buy new storage supplies; 10,000 ct of sleeves, new boxes, card separators, etc.</li>
<li>Rid myself of all non-PC cards.</li>
<li>Concentrate on building only one set at a time.</li>
<li>Try to buy only boxes, no loose packs, no "mix" "value" boxes, no boxes of random cards (preferably hobby boxes only, but dang Wal-Mart and Target)</li>
</ul>

So tell me, what are your new years hobby resolutions? Going after a white whale? Try to get to a certain number of trades? Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season.

RE: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - philly eagle in az - 12-12-2011

Like I said I'm not going to focus on myself but try to get some of my buddies collecting. It sucks that I have no one to trade with here in person, and being at my age I am trying to get my sport fan freinds going.

RE: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - Patrick_cpg - 12-12-2011

(12-12-2011, 11:05 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: I've never really been a big resolutions guy. I've made some here and there (the usual, health, money, etc.) but never really followed through on them. After some recent life trials and tribulations, I've made a few life resolutions that I highly intend on following through on (again, health, money, etc.). However, I decided to make myself some hobby resolutions to. Here are my hobby resolutions for the new year (in no particular order).

<ul>
<li>Scan as many cards as I can and get them uploaded into the system.</li>
<li>Get more of my Pistons PC graded.</li>
<li>Buy new storage supplies; 10,000 ct of sleeves, new boxes, card separators, etc.</li>
<li>Rid myself of all non-PC cards.</li>
<li>Concentrate on building only one set at a time.</li>
<li>Try to buy only boxes, no loose packs, no "mix" "value" boxes, no boxes of random cards (preferably hobby boxes only, but dang Wal-Mart and Target)</li>
</ul>

So tell me, what are your new years hobby resolutions? Going after a white whale? Try to get to a certain number of trades? Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season.

Building one set at a time sounds like a very logical and smart thought process. I only wish I could follow that knowledge.

RE: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - xstreaminsanity - 12-12-2011

(12-12-2011, 11:31 AM)Patrick_cpg Wrote: Building one set at a time sounds like a very logical and smart thought process. I only wish I could follow that knowledge.

It is difficult, especially when you buy multiple boxes, hobby or blaster, and you like their designs and you're like "I want to finish this set." This year I kept the number of sets down, but still, trying to collect 4 sets at once isn't easy, especially when almost every set has AU or GU for the rookies. Smile

RE: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - filamuraireborn - 12-12-2011

Organize my collection completely.

Have adequate storage supplies for all my cards.

Lastly, only collecting sets from now on.

RE: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - buckunteer - 12-12-2011

Great thread idea, xstream!

I'm gonna try to get some cards graded for the first time ever. Obviously my collection is much lower end than a lot of ppl on here, but it'd be nice to get a few of my nicer MJs graded and a handful of scarce 90's inserts as well. (Group submissions, anyone? Smile

Also shooting for 1,000 total different MJs, but only from when he played. I briefly started collecting the newer ones but decided I wasn't as big a fan so I've used them to swap out for older MJs. Currently I'm around 515 different older MJs so I have a ways to go!

I also am going for supercollector status on Mitch Richmond. I have about 165 different Mitches and counting. I always felt he was way underrated as a player and he's a nice player to go for supercollector status because there aren't a ton of his cards in excess of $20 so it's feasible on a budget.

And of course, I am tentatively planning another contest for the beginning of the new year since my first one actually went relatively well (although two winners from that contest like 3 months ago still have not contacted me...I still have your cards guys!!!) So everybody prepare yourself Smile

RE: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - taffster74 - 12-12-2011

I'd probably say to hit 1000 kevin garnett cards - I'm only 140-something away from that figure, so it's feasable.

RE: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - pingbling23 - 12-12-2011

continue building my pc, mainly through trades, not going to be spending as much money in this hobby (just bought a house and getting married in July), and just hope to keep enjoying this hobby, building my pc, and meeting great traders and people through this site like normal. seems like weve been having more new people on lately, hopefully, all our new years resolutions will be to continue building this site up and making it the go to site for trading.

RE: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - libs021 - 12-12-2011

(12-12-2011, 04:17 PM)buckunteer Wrote: Great thread idea, xstream!

(although two winners from that contest like 3 months ago still have not contacted me...I still have your cards guys!!!) So everybody prepare yourself Smile

you can always mail me there cards.

Anyways my resolution is to actually stop buying so much, without a job I shouldn't be buying anything lol, as for personal resolutions would be to make sure I find a job before graduating, (plan on graduating with degree on computer science).

I do want to send some of my PC cards in for grading, if I can find the funds

RE: OT: What is your Hobby New Year's Resolution(s)? - jpleazme805 - 12-12-2011

New Year's Resolution(s)

1) Find a new job.. shooting for something over $60K annual, but probably will have to go less. Put in over 70+ applications & only got calls back on 3 of them. I missed two in-person interviews for big companies, because the Navy said I had to muster & could not leave the greater San Diego area.

2) Hopefully, save 75% of the money the Navy owes me for Separation Pay.

3) Enlist in the Navy or National Guard reserves. Got to receive money Navy owes me first.

4) Spend as much time with my 2 yr old son.

5) save as much money as possible & try to keep my cardboard addiction to a minimum.

** now, to my cardboard Resolutions

6) Get as many cards added to my organization. I most about 80% of the stuff I bought since April 2007, the month I jumped overboard & the collecting addiction got to me.

7) Make checklists of all card needs to complete sets. I have a lot of older sets I started, but never completed.

8) Minimize amount of sets or new PC collections..

9) Scan more of my collection & upload to photobucket. I would upload to Beckett, but I think it takes to long to upload multiple cards in a fast manner. Took me a long time to upload my SPA 08-09 Jordan Farmar & Bynum "Varsity Letters" collection (estimate about 70 cards).

10) Make more trades. I'm not a big trader.. mainly because my wants & the trader wants are different. Hard to trade A-List Stars for non-PC cards that I do not need.

11) Sell cards that I can not trade or do not want. Always scared of selling high dollar cards for too low. Recently got rid of a MJ UD BLACK AUTO /15 $300 less than what I got it for. (I got it in a cash/trade deal, so not too big a loss). Also, got rid of my Lebron Exquisite Executive Box collection (auto box, + 2 auto cards, + GU & base card). Didn't want to sale these cards, but had to due to financial hardship the navy caused on me by messing up on my paperwork in order to receive my separation pay, which is a very large amount. Don't want to touch my saving just yet... trying to save that for my future, but might have to tip into some of it.. which sucks.

12) Find other collectors in the San Diego area.. I miss the days when my friends & I would take trips to the LCS(s).. just to window shop & hopefully, talk the owners to give us free cards or packs... Maybe make a trip to an Los Angles card show, since San Diego never have any good shows.. always the same dealers, same cards, & no wax...