Beckett Message Boards
Opinions on becketts supercollector - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Opinions on becketts supercollector (/thread-1461524.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Opinions on becketts supercollector - chads-cards - 10-11-2011

I was just going through some older becketts and of course looked back at the "super collector" section...I was just wondering what you think the qualifications should be to get in there...I raise this question because the one collection was not that impressive. IM not going to name which one it was but it didnt involve this sport and there main attribute was just having a bunch of the same card...thats cool and all but they didnt have a big variety. Which thats what I think it should be about...I feel it should be about who has the highest percentage of either one section of a player...like say you have every dan marino base card...which is probably in the thousands...that to me would be an accomplishment. Or maybe you go after all the true rookies of a player...or in my case go after every card that isnt a 1/1. Becuase thats just impossible in my opinion. I think there are too many collections that get praised that shouldnt...Like ive seen some incredible collections of people who post here and ive never seen them in the mag and they should be!

RE: Opinions on becketts supercollector - bakerman8419 - 10-11-2011

Which super collector section were you referring to?

RE: Opinions on becketts supercollector - shezdoni - 10-11-2011

(10-11-2011, 01:46 AM)chads-cards Wrote: I was just going through some older becketts and of course looked back at the "super collector" section...I was just wondering what you think the qualifications should be to get in there...I raise this question because the one collection was not that impressive. IM not going to name which one it was but it didnt involve this sport and there main attribute was just having a bunch of the same card...thats cool and all but they didnt have a big variety. Which thats what I think it should be about...I feel it should be about who has the highest percentage of either one section of a player...like say you have every dan marino base card...which is probably in the thousands...that to me would be an accomplishment. Or maybe you go after all the true rookies of a player...or in my case go after every card that isnt a 1/1. Becuase thats just impossible in my opinion. I think there are too many collections that get praised that shouldnt...Like ive seen some incredible collections of people who post here and ive never seen them in the mag and they should be!

Well, I can say this, there is one supposed "super collector" featured in the Oct Baseball Mag, that has been Banned on this site many,many,many times under multiple id's for scamming, and has been Banned on almost every other site multiple times for the same thing.

my question is, How is scamming super collecting? But of course I will never get an answer to that from Beckett Media.

RE: Opinions on becketts supercollector - joe callahan13 - 10-11-2011

Personally, I think collecting is about the fun and enjoyment of not only your own collection, but everyone's. If you are doing it for competition, or recognition, you are in it for the wrong reasons. No offense, but " I think there are too many collections that get praised that shouldnt" is actually a REALLY sad statement.

RE: Opinions on becketts supercollector - nthnoak - 10-11-2011

I really don't think there should be any set qualifications. But most people should know to have a super collection you either have to have a lot of stuff, or some really nice stuff. But putting a percentage on how many cards you should own of a certain player is ridiculous because now if someone wants to be recognized as a super collector they might have to start collecting stuff they don't even care about.

RE: Opinions on becketts supercollector - biglump007 - 10-11-2011

(10-11-2011, 06:21 AM)nthnoak Wrote: I really don't think there should be any set qualifications. But most people should know to have a super collection you either have to have a lot of stuff, or some really nice stuff. But putting a percentage on how many cards you should own of a certain player is ridiculous because now if someone wants to be recognized as a super collector they might have to start collecting stuff they don't even care about.

I would agree with that. Not sure you could put qualifications on it. I mean who is to say what the qualifications should be anyway. But then again I guess you could say I'm attempting to super collect Tyson Jackson and who knows maybe one day I'll make the mag lol

RE: Opinions on becketts supercollector - msimonds - 10-11-2011

I agree that collecting should be for fun. I have 99% of all of the particular cards I collect and I consider that a "super collection." Just because you don't agree with what that person has, doesn't mean its not a super collection.

Why bash or question someone else's pride?

RE: Opinions on becketts supercollector - rinzler - 10-11-2011

Self-annointed supercollectors are annoying. What is wrong with enjoying what you have without needing to have it validated by someone else's opinion?

RE: Opinions on becketts supercollector - jaykayzee - 10-11-2011

Think of it this way, am I a SuperCollector because:

I have almost every single card of a player who only has 8 distinctly different cards

or am I a SuperCollector because

I have enough cards to fill a 6 foot wide closet floor to ceiling with 5000 ct. boxes??

(10-11-2011, 05:05 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Personally, I think collecting is about the fun and enjoyment of not only your own collection, but everyone's. If you are doing it for competition, or recognition, you are in it for the wrong reasons. No offense, but " I think there are too many collections that get praised that shouldnt" is actually a REALLY sad statement.

I don't agree with this 100%.

I agree doing something for little other reason than to "get in the magazine" is a really bad way to go. But on the other side of that arguement, if someone DOES put together a collection that is truly one-of-a-kind, and they did it out of love for the player, or the love of the chase, then they deserve a nod from the rest of the community.

As for competition, that is.... a necessary evil.... I guess I would call it. I have a very specific player I try to "SuperCollect". He only has a very small amount of cards.

I do have to fight and scheme to collect them all, because I'm sparring against :

- Set Collectors
- Jersey Collectors
- Patch Collectors
- Autograph Collectors
- Other Player Collectors.

Make no mistake, my fun IS the hunt. My enjoyment IS having something in MY collection that is different and unique from anything else anybody else has.

Another angle on this. I know a collector who had one of the absolutely most complete collections of Thomas Vanek you would EVER see. There were only maybe 1-2 other Vanek collectors anywhere near his collection. They all knew each other by name, and often emailed each other about cards they found. That infused SO MUCH passion in them, they DROVE each other to be the best. Competition brought out the best in them!

Unfortunatly for my friend here, he ended up in a pretty bad car crash, and ended up selling the collection to finance a new car. Because of the connections he made as a "SuperCollector", he was able to sell the best pieces for good prices, and to people who would keep them in thier own collections, not sell for the highest bidder.

I'm proud of my collection, and someday when I have it complete, i'll admit it into "the magazine" for consideration. But, that will be because of the pride I have, not in searching for acknowledgement.....

RE: Opinions on becketts supercollector - chads-cards - 10-11-2011

See I agree with everyone who said it should be about the fun. Thats what im saying...there are some people out there who just go buy as much as they can just to get into the mag. Ive been collection my player for 7+ years now and im wayyyyy far away to making it into that mag...I could care less if I was. But also someone who works at my families shop has IMO a super collection. One thing they have 0 autos of that player and maybe 20 game used...but they do have every single base card theyve ever had and every true rc besides autos...they collect fitz and there collection is over 600 cards. I think too many people get caught up in the real high end stuff...his collection is his passion and ive seen how much effort it has taken him to get all those cards. I personally love the hunt of finding that one card yuo need.