Beckett Message Boards
Fire Safe - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Fire Safe (/thread-1460728.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Fire Safe - steman79 - 10-05-2011

Do you guys place your High End Cards in a fire safe? I currently have some of my favorite cards on a book shelf in my office, but if my house caught fire, I would obviously lose the cards. What I'm looking for is a transparent/glass fire safe, so I can still see my cards but they are still protected. Any suggestions on a see through fire safe?

RE: Fire Safe - chads-cards - 10-05-2011

Since I have so much high end stuff I just decided to insure it. Cause one I like seeing the stuff everyday and two I would need multiple guns safes for my good collection. If you happen to find a safe like that lmk ha

RE: Fire Safe - msimonds - 10-05-2011

One thing to keep in mind.... fire safe DOES NOT MEAN WATER SAFE!!! Get something that will survive a fire, but also something that could survive the water that comes while putting out the fire.

RE: Fire Safe - giantsfan - 10-05-2011

I put anything auto, jersey, over 20 dollars, good rookies into fireproof safes. I would advise you to try getting one to be safe.

RE: Fire Safe - monsterx - 10-05-2011

(10-05-2011, 03:33 PM)steman79 Wrote: Do you guys place your High End Cards in a fire safe? I currently have some of my favorite cards on a book shelf in my office, but if my house caught fire, I would obviously lose the cards. What I'm looking for is a transparent/glass fire safe, so I can still see my cards but they are still protected. Any suggestions on a see through fire safe?

Would they be covered under home owners? Or would you have take out an additional policy????

RE: Fire Safe - eazy e - 10-05-2011

(10-05-2011, 03:38 PM)msimonds Wrote: One thing to keep in mind.... fire safe DOES NOT MEAN WATER SAFE!!! Get something that will survive a fire, but also something that could survive the water that comes while putting out the fire.

Bingo...I dont know why everyone is talking about gun safes lately. 1-very expensive.2-Very heavy.3-Water and smoke are the real enemy and a gun safe will protect you from neither.
(10-05-2011, 05:02 PM)monsterx Wrote: Would they be covered under home owners? Or would you have take out an additional policy????

This is the question that needs to be discussed. I have been told yes and no on the homeowners ins.(reminder to self, must get around to calling mine) I would think you would probably need a separate policy especially for large or really high dollar collections. If it is covered you are going to need to prove what you had somehow. I would think that your Organize on Beckett would help but probably need pictures as well.
We really need to get to the bottom of this or at least I do. My collection is getting to the point to where if something happened I would be devastated. I always thought home invasion robbery would be more likely than a fire though....SO , I really doubt that most of our home owners/renters ins is going to cover our collections. Its like saying you had a Da Vinci in the closet....I doubt your getting covered with out the proof and the proper policy. If any members REALLY know the answers to this question It would be much appreciated. I did see a link on this site somewhere to a company offering "collectors" ins. Ill see if i can find it.

Found it. Its always on the first page under the news tab: http://www.collectinsure.com/

You can get a quickie estimate quote in like 2 min. I just did it and they gave me a quote of $87 annually( per year) THAT IS NOT BAD AT ALL. Probably gonna do this....

RE: Fire Safe - monsterx - 10-05-2011

(10-05-2011, 05:19 PM)eazy e Wrote: Bingo...I dont know why everyone is talking about gun safes lately. 1-very expensive.2-Very heavy.3-Water and smoke are the real enemy and a gun safe will protect you from neither.

This is the question that needs to be discussed. I have been told yes and no on the homeowners ins.(reminder to self, must get around to calling mine) I would think you would probably need a separate policy especially for large or really high dollar collections. If it is covered you are going to need to prove what you had somehow. I would think that your Organize on Beckett would help but probably need pictures as well.
We really need to get to the bottom of this or at least I do. My collection is getting to the point to where if something happened I would be devastated. I always thought home invasion robbery would be more likely than a fire though....SO , I really doubt that most of our home owners/renters ins is going to cover our collections. Its like saying you had a Da Vinci in the closet....I doubt your getting covered with out the proof and the proper policy. If any members REALLY know the answers to this question It would be much appreciated. I did see a link on this site somewhere to a company offering "collectors" ins. Ill see if i can find it.

Found it. Its always on the first page under the news tab: http://www.collectinsure.com/

You can get a quickie estimate quote in like 2 min. I just did it and they gave me a quote of $87 annually( per year) THAT IS NOT BAD AT ALL. Probably gonna do this....

One perspective... I have tools. over $10,000 Mac and snap on in a $7,000 mac box. Those are NOT covered under homeowners and need a separate policy. Tools aren't cards, but you see what I'm getting at. Something that it's your house/garage, but not covered under homeowners.

Does this change state to state???

(10-05-2011, 05:29 PM)monsterx Wrote: One perspective... I have tools. over $10,000 Mac and snap on in a $7,000 mac box. Those are NOT covered under homeowners and need a separate policy. Tools aren't cards, but you see what I'm getting at. Something that it's your house/garage, but not covered under homeowners.

Does this change state to state???
I wonder what they DO cover? Cause it sounds like not much.LOL

RE: Fire Safe - bigtrip18 - 10-05-2011

When I lived in Iowa, my renters insurance covered my cards, and now I live back in michigan and they're still protected, I just have to have the org list, value, and proof (pics) that keep them insured.

I don't have any safety concerns, no locked boxes, just a rubbermaid container. I don't live in a flood zone, or in immediate fire danger, the house is brick and stone. I have an 8 yr old brother with sticky fingers and half dirty nails but that's the most danger my cards are in.

(10-05-2011, 05:38 PM)bigtrip18 Wrote: When I lived in Iowa, my renters insurance covered my cards, and now I live back in michigan and they're still protected, I just have to have the org list, value, and proof (pics) that keep them insured.

I don't have any safety concerns, no locked boxes, just a rubbermaid container. I don't live in a flood zone, or in immediate fire danger, the house is brick and stone. I have an 8 yr old brother with sticky fingers and half dirty nails but that's the most danger my cards are in.

Hmm, I guess the best bet is to call your Ins company first to verify what is covered, as it must vary policy to policy, but Im gonna need that in writing to feel safe. LOL at the 8yr old with sticky fingers. Dude when my daughter gets a hold of a card its hilarious, crushed and creased into a tiny ball in seconds. Every time Im ripping packs she wants in on it (3y old) the only trick I have is to give her a couple base. I help her put them in a sleeve and top loader and tell her those are hers and to "protect them" and that usually does the trick. Then she goes onto something else in 5 min and im safe. LOL