Beckett Message Boards
Getting started - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Getting started (/thread-1455784.html)

Pages: 1 2

Getting started - imnotded - 08-30-2011

So I decided last week that I wanted to start collecting cards again. I havent collected anything for about 15 or so years when I was in jr. high school.

I know there is the obvious cards to look for such as rookie cards, inserts sets, and autos, but what brand/type are your guys favorites to buy (talking unopened packs, not specific players/teams)? I have always loved sitting down at the table and opening a box or two at a time. I picked up a 2011 Allen and Ginter box last night and went through. Was a lot of fun, got some decent stuff, but there were way too many non sports cards.

RE: Getting started - JASCards - 08-30-2011

Yep Allen and Ginter is "Other Celeb" heavy. If your after a card I have found that it is cheaper to just buy it than bust boxes...That being said I love bustin boxes! If your looking for young players then go with Bowman products as they focus on Minor Leaguers and Up and Coming players. If you like retro go with the new Lineage(all baseball) though it doesn't have any "huge hits". If you wanna go big there is Marquee, Thriple Threads, and others by Topps......Welcome and have fun!

RE: Getting started - baseballcollector18 - 08-30-2011

(08-30-2011, 11:46 AM)imnotded Wrote: So I decided last week that I wanted to start collecting cards again. I havent collected anything for about 15 or so years when I was in jr. high school.

I know there is the obvious cards to look for such as rookie cards, inserts sets, and autos, but what brand/type are your guys favorites to buy (talking unopened packs, not specific players/teams)? I have always loved sitting down at the table and opening a box or two at a time. I picked up a 2011 Allen and Ginter box last night and went through. Was a lot of fun, got some decent stuff, but there were way too many non sports cards.

Allen & Ginter's niche is a mix of baseball and non-sport cards. Many of their subsets and mini parallels (which run one-per-pack) have been of weird things. In the past, they've had Greek Gods, Country Animals, Leaders of the World, World's Wordsmiths, and a bunch of others. They've got some decent autographs and relic cards from outside the sport world that are actually quite valuables.
For rookies, your brand would be Bowman. Specifically, Bowman Chrome cards. You can find them in three products: regular Bowman, Bowman Chrome (due out later this year) and Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects (also due out later this year).
As far as other brands, Topps currently has a monopoly on baseball products, so they're going to be your only brand. Look for products like Topps Chrome, Topps Lineage, Topps Triple Threads and Topps Finest. There's others coming out eventually.

Each collector is going to have different products that they like and don't like. If you like football, hockey, or basketball, I recommend checking out the beckett calendar for future releases. Check out ebay for the look of certain cards, or press releases for the look of future products.
And again, collectors have different tastes. Some don't open products at all and collect just specific players or teams or sets. Many collectors will try to get a "rainbow" of a player which usually applies to the chrome refractors in collecting one of every parallel (there's many tiers and some are more scarce than others, most of them including a 1/1 superfractor ensuring that they're the only person that has one of every type). It depends on what you like best. If you love the thrill of opening packs and boxes, be prepared to NOT make money, but enjoy collecting sets and trading for players/sets you want. If you love a certain player or certain teams or like the look of a certain set, you can just buy those cards.
Collecting is what you make of it. Find out what you like, then go for it.

RE: Getting started - joe callahan13 - 08-30-2011

Agreed, I hate A&G for that reason. (Well, also because the one color bland relics to autos ratio is horrific)

It depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I don't like Bowman stuff because I don't like prospecting. Getting cards of people that may or may not ever make the majors, and won't be for a few years if they do, is not my idea of a fun break.

I am pretty excited for the Topps Marquee that comes out in September. I am also looking forward to this year's Topps Finest. The very popular Triple Threads is also coming out shortly after Marquee, but take a look and check it out for yourself, I have always thought it was kind of cheesy looking and ugly. If you are looking for something cheaper, Topps Chrome should be coming soon as well.

The best thing to do is to identify a couple sets you are interested in and then go watch some breaks on youtube. There is a user: chri5784 that owns a store and has a ton of breaks on his youtube channel. It's a great way to familiarize yourself with some of the products.

RE: Getting started - michaelstepper - 08-30-2011

well right now if you haven't been in the hobby for a while, Topps is the only licensed card maker meaning only they can show team colors, names and logo's. if you like Rc's and prospects or celebs you have it made with the 4 different types of bowman and ginter. otherwise you have triple threads, topps, topps chrome, and lineage. don't they have another set coming out soon? sterling and something else.. not a huge fan of any of them myself just depends on what you like.

RE: Getting started - yankees_pride - 08-30-2011

What did you get in your ginter breAK? Relic/auto? Are you looking to trade? Do you collect anyone?

RE: Getting started - imnotded - 08-30-2011

(08-30-2011, 12:04 PM)yankees_pride Wrote: What did you get in your ginter breAK? Relic/auto? Are you looking to trade? Do you collect anyone?

There were 3 relics, but cant remember off the top of my head who they are. I can look when I get home and post them. And there was a Mexican Hat mini card!
Thanks for the replys. I was wondering why I only saw Topps around.

RE: Getting started - bman12 - 08-30-2011

i love allen and ginter its a fun product to break.but the vaules of the autos have dropped quite abit since the release.but guess thats not so bad seeing im trying to get all 76 of them.

RE: Getting started - john1580 - 08-30-2011

if you wanna hit some good cards you gotta spend alittle more cash on things like topps tribute or triple threads . Bowman has some hits in the boxes but i just buy the bowman platinum to trade them, im not really into prospects all that much. As someone mentioned above, im excited about the new topps marquee product, seems like its gonna have some decent hits. Welcome to beckett, i hope you take advantage of the boards and trading its alot of fun and we could use some more good traders

RE: Getting started - imnotded - 08-30-2011

What is the difference in the Bowman Platinum blaster packs and the regular other than you get 3+1 in the blaster and 4+1 in the regular?