Beckett Message Boards
2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed) - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed) (/thread-1450190.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: 2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed) - pyweed - 07-31-2011

Case #4, Box #12

Emerald prospect refractor /599: Jarred Cosart
Gold prospect refractor /50: Kyle Parker
Autos: Bryce Harper, Shaeffer Hall
Auto relic /1166: Emilio Bonafacio

Grade: A+
Comments: Another live Harper. Sales prices are centering around $250 but there have been some below that. A nice end to the case.

RE: 2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed) - clarkzac - 07-31-2011

Nice hit with the Harper!

RE: 2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed) - phoenixrising34 - 07-31-2011

Harper Smarper, I'm diggin the Parker Gold Ref, LOL.
Go Tigers!!

RE: 2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed) - pyweed - 07-31-2011

Case #4 Summary

Autos:
Jimmy Paredes
Domingo Santana
Brad Holt (2)
Deck McGuire
Kyle Seager
Hector Noesi
Miguel De Los Santos
Jiwan James
Mike Foltynewicz
Tyler Skaggs
Kyle Parker
Brandon Guyer
Delino DeShields
Garrett Richards
Michael Choice
Bryce Harper
Shaeffer Hall
Manny Machado

Emerald autos /399:
Leon Landry (2)
Michael Choice
Dickie Joe Thon
Brett Cecil

Blue auto /99:
Delino DeShields

Auto yellow printing plate /1:
Tyler Skaggs

USA auto redemptions (2)

Auto relics /1166:
Emilio Bonafacio (2)
Leo Nunez (2)
Juan Francisco
Jhan Marinez
Edwin Encarnacion
Ozzie Martinez
John McDonald
Max Ramirez
Brett Cecil

Grade: C-
Comments: I nearly got back to breakeven with the late Harper auto, along with the Skaggs printing plate auto, but there were lots of duds here, creating a JND between outlay and results. Sadly, it shows that even a Harper auto isn’t necessarily going to rescue a bad case, at least at the price I paid. If you look at the list of auto relics above you’ll get a pretty good idea of what’s wrong with this product. WRT the contest, there were two contestants who selected Case #4, Box #8: cspen and andrewinnc. Cspen had the Padres losing the run totals 10-13, and andrewinnc had the Padres winning 17-14. Right now it’s 8-15, so andrewinnc will need the Pads to score six runs today to pull out a win. Oh, and hope I don’t pull another plate or super. It’s okay if you root against that, guys, as long as you root for me to pull a red auto Harper.

RE: 2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed) - clarkzac - 07-31-2011

I'm rooting for you to pull the Harper super Smile

Case #5, Box #1

Blue prospect refractor /199: Alex Wimmers
Autos: Deck McGuire, Hector Noesi
Blue auto /99: Anderson Feliz
Auto relic /1166: Max Ramirez

Grade: D
Comments: Three autos is nice, and I haven’t seen a blue Feliz sold yet, so I may be undervaluing it a little. I think this might be my first box (of 49) without a green refractor auto.
(07-31-2011, 04:46 PM)clarkzac Wrote: I'm rooting for you to pull the Harper super Smile

Thanks, that would be the hit of a lifetime.

(07-31-2011, 04:56 PM)pyweed Wrote: Case #5, Box #1

Blue prospect refractor /199: Alex Wimmers
Autos: Deck McGuire, Hector Noesi
Blue auto /99: Anderson Feliz
Auto relic /1166: Max Ramirez

Comments: Three autos is nice, and I haven’t seen a blue Feliz sold yet, so I may be undervaluing it a little. I think this might be my first box (of 49) without a green refractor auto.

Thanks, that would be the hit of a lifetime.

You deserve it after all of those rough boxes lol

Case #5, Box #2

Emerald prospect refractors /599: Carlos Perez, Zack Cox
Auto: Jen Segura
Auto Redemption: Matt Harvey
Gold auto relic /25: J. P. Arencibia

Comments: Red Arencibia relic auto sold for $70, but I’ve not seen any golds sold; I’ll be conservative here in my appraisal. Incidentally, just like the other /25 I pulled, the stock is mega-thick, presumably because some of them have real patches. Arencibia’s is a bat, however. Incidentally, the Padres staged a huge comeback and tied the series score at 16-16. This means if Case #4, Box #8 holds as the contest box, andrewinnc is our winner.

RE: 2011 Bowman Platinum 5 case break and contest thread (Contests closed) - phoenixrising34 - 07-31-2011

I just got done going back through your 2010 Platinum break, and holy crap are they Night and Day!!
It's almost like Topps is resting this product on having the Harper autos in it and didn't really even try above that to make anything out of Platinum this year at all. The Relic Auto checklist of 2010 WAXES this year's it seems.
Is that kind of the same feeling you have about it?
Add to that 2010 still seems to be bringing some nice prices, and is $20 cheaper per box, seems like a no doubter, lol.
I had been thinking of buying a inner case of 2011, but I think I may go with an inner of 2010 plus 2 more boxes for nearly the same money.

(07-31-2011, 06:58 PM)phoenixrising34 Wrote: I just got done going back through your 2010 Platinum break, and holy crap are they Night and Day!!
It's almost like Topps is resting this product on having the Harper autos in it and didn't really even try above that to make anything out of Platinum this year at all. The Relic Auto checklist of 2010 WAXES this year's it seems.
Is that kind of the same feeling you have about it?
Add to that 2010 still seems to be bringing some nice prices, and is $20 cheaper per box, seems like a no doubter, lol.
I had been thinking of buying a inner case of 2011, but I think I may go with an inner of 2010 plus 2 more boxes for nearly the same money.

Absolutely. The relic checklist is an embarrassment this year, particularly when compared with the preliminary checklist. There's no way this product stays so expensive, so it may eventually be cheap enough to buy. You might recall that 2010 fell quite a bit out of the gate too.

My 2010 Platinum relic auto collection is genuinely one of the nicest sets I own, especially the parallels. I'll try to scan them in the next several days to compare to the 2011s.
Case #5, Box #3

Emerald prospect refractors /599: Manny Banuelos, Wilmer Flores
Autos: Leon Landry, Anderson Feliz
USA auto redemption
Auto relic redemption: Brett Cecil

Comments: Although occasionally there are missing cards or excess cards in a pack, the most common packing oddity I’ve observed in this set is a missing prospect card, i.e., only four veterans and a spacer. I’ve seen this maybe 20 times in 900 packs. The weirdest packing issue concerns spacer abnormalities. For example, sometimes there is a spacer *plus* a relic, making a gigantic pack that I hope fools pack searchers into thinking they have a booklet. Also, once I found a spacer of a thinner stock with writing on it. It was like they ran out of blanks and somebody said, “Hey, go cut up the sign over the coffee machine in the break room!”
Case #5, Box #4

Emerald prospect refractor /599: Cito Culver
Blue prospect refractor /199: Anderson Feliz
Auto redemption: mystery
Emerald auto /399: Kyle Seager
Auto relic /1166: Leo Nunez

Comments: Four consecutive D grades. Still, good enough to get you into Michigan State.