Beckett Message Boards
What would you do? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: What would you do? (/thread-1446603.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What would you do? - 9ersncrabtree - 07-05-2011

Alright so I'm looking on the bay for good deals right? I know I shouldn't be looking at this guys cards. That guy is Glen Coffee, I know what most will say and yes to a degree I'm right there with you. But I can't help to see how cheap his cards are going for at the moment. I mean some of his nicest cards are going for dirt. I have a good collection of his cards already from the spree I had going before he suddenly retired. I don't have any thoughts of selling or trading his cards, cause hey he at least retired as a Niner. So all of his cards will always be in a Niner uniform and I know I won't get anything in return based on the fact of his early retirement. My question to you is, "What would you do if someone you had a mass collection of suddenly retired"? Barry Sanders did this to collectors that collected him, but his case was WAY different then Coffee's. Sanders at least had a respected career before hanging it up.

I'm left scratching my head on this one. Do I continue on collecting him knowing the value with be forever frozen. Or do I just stop where I am and be satisfied with what I have and move on. REMEMBER this was the first person I ever collected hard core like this. Of course he would retire on me...lol

Lmk what ya'll think please! Thank you!!!

RE: What would you do? - soccerscrub - 07-05-2011

From a collector's standpoint, I think it would be a lost cause... Kind of takes all the fun out of collecting a guy if you can't follow him through his "career." From a personal level though, if you like the guy, grab his cards...

RE: What would you do? - clemsoncowboy - 07-05-2011

I hold my collection based on what I want to collect, not based on the cards value. The only cards I worry about value on, are the ones I'm trying to sell.

If you enjoy collecting a certain player, then collect him cause you want to, not because of book value.

RE: What would you do? - 9ersncrabtree - 07-05-2011

(07-05-2011, 11:37 AM)soccerscrub Wrote: From a collector's standpoint, I think it would be a lost cause... Kind of takes all the fun out of collecting a guy if you can't follow him through his "career." From a personal level though, if you like the guy, grab his cards...

Trust me that's the reason why I stopped, what fun is it to collect someone if you cant watch them on Sundays! Now liking him I don't know about I mean I didn't get the chance to know him. I mean he was gone so fast. I didn't even learn or know his middle name...lol But I'm kind of done with him just saw how cheap his cards are going and couldn't believe it. Thank you for your input!!!

RE: What would you do? - jdetter23 - 07-05-2011

I def. wouldnt get anymore lol quit on him like he did on the 49ers. But seriously it would take most of the fun out of it knowing hes not gonna play anymore. I would pick up somebody new!

RE: What would you do? - lgb cards - 07-05-2011

I agree with the above and that is what i was going to say

A PC should be a player that YOU like. If you like him then keep collecting, like you said, his stuff is dirt cheap.

If you are looking for value then stop and stop now.

I personally collect some players that I will never get a return on but I collect them cause they are my favorite players from my favorite team. Mixing value, cost, and PC players can mix but in your case it doesn't.

RE: What would you do? - mattfastiggi - 07-05-2011

I'd start a Kaepernick collection or Kendall Hunter (who I think will be really good) I'd give up on the Coffee as well.

(07-05-2011, 11:40 AM)clemsoncowboy Wrote: I hold my collection based on what I want to collect, not based on the cards value. The only cards I worry about value on, are the ones I'm trying to sell.

If you enjoy collecting a certain player, then collect him cause you want to, not because of book value.

Good point to me its not about the BV either. I just said that in my post to get different opinions. I did enjoy collecting his cards, its just a bummer that I cant see him play. I also began to think about how rare his cards will be and that kind of juiced me up to wanting more, cause in the future they wont be made anymore. Its a catch 22 and I'm stuck in the middle trying to find my way with his cards. Thank you too for your opinion!!!

(07-05-2011, 11:41 AM)jdetter23 Wrote: I def. wouldnt get anymore lol quit on him like he did on the 49ers. But seriously it would take most of the fun out of it knowing hes not gonna play anymore. I would pick up somebody new!

lol I thought the same way when I heard the news about him. Man forget Coffee is what I thought. Not in those words though...lol I know finding someone else is the better option to go but damn I wanted someone fresh! I think my next person will Aldon Smith the Niners drafted 7th overall in this years draft! Thank you for your input as well!!!
(07-05-2011, 11:45 AM)lgb cards Wrote: I agree with the above and that is what i was going to say

A PC should be a player that YOU like. If you like him then keep collecting, like you said, his stuff is dirt cheap.

If you are looking for value then stop and stop now.

I personally collect some players that I will never get a return on but I collect them cause they are my favorite players from my favorite team. Mixing value, cost, and PC players can mix but in your case it doesn't.

I hear ya on that as well I need to find someone I know who I see long term with my Niners. How much it cost to get those cards do play a factor in there a little. I wish I could be happy with someone with no value then it would be SUPER easy to collect...lol This past year has been bad on my Niners. Jason Hill is gone, Coach Singletary is history, I think Nate Davis and Troy Smith is gone. I mean damn...lol Anyways thank you too for your input!!!

(07-05-2011, 11:46 AM)mattfastiggi Wrote: I'd start a Kaepernick collection or Kendall Hunter (who I think will be really good) I'd give up on the Coffee as well.

Ive been eye balling him hard as well. The thing that scares me with him is the fact they still believe in Alex Smith. I have maybe 1% left of belief in him. Maybe I should start a collection of Kaepernick. I do like Mr. Hunter I like the way he runs!!! Thank you I will look on the bay for Hunter right now...lol Thank you very much!!!

RE: What would you do? - itsdagooch - 07-05-2011

Collect what you like.

But Hunter will pay off I believe, especially since Gore is injury-prone. The Huskers had to deal with him in the Big 12, he was no easy opponent, very durable guy as well.

Kaepernick is not cheap at all.

Check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVPuzPacWDY

(07-05-2011, 12:31 PM)itsdagooch Wrote: Collect what you like.

But Hunter will pay off I believe, especially since Gore is injury-prone. The Huskers had to deal with him in the Big 12, he was no easy opponent, very durable guy as well.

Kaepernick is not cheap at all.

Check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVPuzPacWDY

I got the Gooch to post!!! Thank you Gooch, I'm liking Hunter as well. I'm already know Kaepernick isnt cheap. Thank you for the video, by watching that highlight reel makes me want his stuff even more. Hes got good speed, great vision and good cut backs as well! Thank you Gooch!!!