Beckett Message Boards
Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Sports Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! (/thread-1443822.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! - TheEvilEmpire - 06-17-2011

I'd like to have a little discussion on this..I think it would be good...

-What recently retired players do you believe will get into Cooperstown?
-What players do you think should be in even though they aren't?
-Any current players that you believe will make the hall of fame?

To get it started, I'll bring up Bernie Williams..I think eventually he will get in, but will not be close to a first ballot hof'er...Anyone else have an opinion?

And does anyone believe Roger Maris will eventually get put in?

RE: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! - beginesj - 06-17-2011

(06-17-2011, 01:28 AM)TheEvilEmpire Wrote: I'd like to have a little discussion on this..I think it would be good...

-What recently retired players do you believe will get into Cooperstown?
-What players do you think should be in even though they aren't?
-Any current players that you believe will make the hall of fame?

To get it started, I'll bring up Bernie Williams..I think eventually he will get in, but will not be close to a first ballot hof'er...Anyone else have an opinion?

And does anyone believe Roger Maris will eventually get put in?

I would like to see both Bernie Williams and Roger Maris getting into the Hall. However I dont think Maris will (even though he held the HR record for 30+ years) due to I would think he would have been let in by now. I grew up in the 80's and the two I'm suprised that have not been let in is my first favorite player Ron Guidry and the fan favorite Don Mattingly. I think Jeter and Mo will be a first time inductees. I also think Pettitte will be eventually be allowed in.

RE: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! - 011873 - 06-17-2011

Let em all in. if u played 10 games, youre in.
doesn't matter any longer, its now the hall of good.

RE: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! - TheEvilEmpire - 06-17-2011

(06-17-2011, 01:41 AM)beginesj Wrote: I would like to see both Bernie Williams and Roger Maris getting into the Hall. However I dont think Maris will (even though he held the HR record for 30+ years) due to I would think he would have been let in by now. I grew up in the 80's and the two I'm suprised that have not been let in is my first favorite player Ron Guidry and the fan favorite Don Mattingly. I think Jeter and Mo will be a first time inductees. I also think Pettitte will be eventually be allowed in.

I'm very, very suprised that Mattingly hasn't got in yet..He was way before my time, but from what I've seen from old vids and stats, hopefully he will eventually get in like Dawson and Rice did...

RE: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! - evolb909 - 06-17-2011

Retired Future HoFers:

Barry Larkin
Ken Griffey Jr.
Frank Thomas
Mike Mussina
Jeff Kent
Greg Maddux
Randy Johnson
Tom Glavine
Craig Biggio
Mike Piazza

Current Future HoFers:
Albert Pujols
Ichiro
Omar Vizquel
Edgar Renteria
Roy Halladay
CC Sabathia
Jim Thome
Derek Jeter
Mariano Rivera
Vlad Guerrero

Should be:

Jack Morris
Alan Trammell
Steve Garvey
Fred McGriff

RE: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! - yankeeempire - 06-17-2011

After a lengthy discussion with a Hall of Fame representative he advised me that Maris will likely be put in the HOF. The veterans committee has the ultimate say and he has been discussed numerous times. Yogi Berra made a statement a few years ago to the people who signed the petition and the senators that Maris will be in the HOF before he (Yogi) dies. As far as who should not be in the HOF i'll just say one person PHIL RIZZUTO. I ove the scooter but he just does not have the numbers to put him where he is at. There are many who should not be in the HOF but at the risk of hurting ones feelings i'll stay mute on that subject but as far as who should be in the HOF Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson.

(06-17-2011, 01:44 AM)TheEvilEmpire Wrote: I'm very, very suprised that Mattingly hasn't got in yet..He was way before my time, but from what I've seen from old vids and stats, hopefully he will eventually get in like Dawson and Rice did...

Non-Yankees players would be Chipper Jones and Randy Johnson (even if he couldnt pitch for the Yankees). One my favorite (even though he doesnt have shot in he!!) is Mike Sweeney.

(06-17-2011, 01:52 AM)yankeeempire Wrote: As far as who should not be in the HOF i'll just say one person PHIL RIZZUTO. I love the scooter but he just does not have the numbers to put him where he is at. There are many who should not be in the HOF but at the risk of hurting ones feelings i'll stay mute on that subject but as far as who should be in the HOF Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I agree with all three. My grandmother (lives in Cincy) refuse to watch baseball until they allow Rose in the Hall.

RE: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! - yankeeempire - 06-17-2011

I agree with evolb909's list but i think Piazza will have a hard time or he wont be 1st ballot because of the stink of possible steroid use. I just read in a article a few months ago that it will be tough for him.
You CANNOT crucify a person for something he did while not doing the other. He was busted as a manager not a player. You cannot deny the numbers Rose has or what he did while he was a player, However you cannot deny what he did as a manager and thats a stain that won't wash out. I personally don't like Rose but i feel he deserves to be put in the HOF for what he did on the field and not the dugout

(06-17-2011, 01:48 AM)evolb909 Wrote: Retired Future HoFers:

Barry Larkin
Ken Griffey Jr.
Frank Thomas
Mike Mussina
Jeff Kent
Greg Maddux
Randy Johnson
Tom Glavine
Craig Biggio
Mike Piazza

Current Future HoFers:
Albert Pujols
Ichiro
Omar Vizquel
Edgar Renteria
Roy Halladay
CC Sabathia
Jim Thome
Derek Jeter
Mariano Rivera
Vlad Guerrero

Should be:

Jack Morris
Alan Trammell
Steve Garvey
Fred McGriff

I forgot about Larkin. The reason I keep forgetting about him is because I keep thinking he's already in when hes not.

RE: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome! - TheEvilEmpire - 06-17-2011

(06-17-2011, 01:48 AM)evolb909 Wrote: Retired Future HoFers:

Barry Larkin
Ken Griffey Jr.
Frank Thomas
Mike Mussina
Jeff Kent
Greg Maddux
Randy Johnson
Tom Glavine
Craig Biggio
Mike Piazza

Current Future HoFers:
Albert Pujols
Ichiro
Omar Vizquel
Edgar Renteria
Roy Halladay
CC Sabathia
Jim Thome
Derek Jeter
Mariano Rivera
Vlad Guerrero

Should be:

Jack Morris
Alan Trammell
Steve Garvey
Fred McGriff

Very good list for debate...For some reason, I don't see Omar and Renteria getting in...Hopefully Larkin gets in this year since it is a generally "weak" class, so to say..I'm still not sure on Vlad either.

Here is a good one to debate on...Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmeiro...Does anyone believe they will get in?