Beckett Message Boards
Which grading service is better for vintage football??? PSA or BGS??? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Beckett Grading Services (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Beckett Vintage Grading (BVG) (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: Which grading service is better for vintage football??? PSA or BGS??? (/thread-1425866.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Which grading service is better for vintage football??? PSA or BGS??? - stevemarknyc - 08-03-2014

(02-26-2012, 06:50 PM)Surfnun Wrote: Experience is the best teacher. I have been a member of the PSA Collector's club for many years and have over a thousand cards graded by them. Over the past year, I have sent in several seemingly perfect vintage cards to have them returned as having a problem from PSA. I had read an article in the Chicago papers in 2008 that PSA was caught inflating card grades for big customers including the famous T-209 Wagner which PSA graders knew to be trimmed. To make up for the high grades, they would suppress grades from small customers so the pop report didn't look out of balance. So, several months ago I bought a 1975 unopened cello pack graded 9 by GAI with Brett rookie on top. I opened it and sent the card to PSA. It came back with the reference "evidence of trimming". Not "miscut" (which it wasn't - perfect borders), but trimmed. The card was then graded a 98 (gem mint) by SGC. That's what PSA is going and has lost my business, meager as it is.

Unbelievable that it took so long for me to find a response as accuarate and truthful as yours. I remember the first time I had my cards graded by PSA, I was expecting 9s and 10s but they came back 5s 6s and an 8. I had a 1976 Morgan card that was at least a 7 but graded a 5. I was so upset I called PSA on the phone to complain, they did not answer so I left a message. I have bought cards from the largest clients of PSA on EBAY, and time and time again I have noticed that their cards have gotten a grade or two higher while mine were knocked down because of a lack of volume. VERDICT: PSA caters to their big clients and manipulates grades and population reports, therefore, they are untrustworthy and unreliable, but the average collector does not have the IQ to understand this and continues to pay more for less with PSA.

RE: Which grading service is better for vintage football??? PSA or BGS??? - nolan5000 - 08-03-2014

(08-03-2014, 05:06 PM)stevemarknyc Wrote: Unbelievable that it took so long for me to find a response as accuarate and truthful as yours. I remember the first time I had my cards graded by PSA, I was expecting 9s and 10s but they came back 5s 6s and an 8. I had a 1976 Morgan card that was at least a 7 but graded a 5. I was so upset I called PSA on the phone to complain, they did not answer so I left a message. I have bought cards from the largest clients of PSA on EBAY, and time and time again I have noticed that their cards have gotten a grade or two higher while mine were knocked down because of a lack of volume. VERDICT: PSA caters to their big clients and manipulates grades and population reports, therefore, they are untrustworthy and unreliable, but the average collector does not have the IQ to understand this and continues to pay more for less with PSA.

+1 I like this comment. You're smart.

RE: Which grading service is better for vintage football??? PSA or BGS??? - ricelynnevans75 - 08-05-2014

(08-03-2014, 05:06 PM)stevemarknyc Wrote: Unbelievable that it took so long for me to find a response as accuarate and truthful as yours. I remember the first time I had my cards graded by PSA, I was expecting 9s and 10s but they came back 5s 6s and an 8. I had a 1976 Morgan card that was at least a 7 but graded a 5. I was so upset I called PSA on the phone to complain, they did not answer so I left a message. I have bought cards from the largest clients of PSA on EBAY, and time and time again I have noticed that their cards have gotten a grade or two higher while mine were knocked down because of a lack of volume. VERDICT: PSA caters to their big clients and manipulates grades and population reports, therefore, they are untrustworthy and unreliable, but the average collector does not have the IQ to understand this and continues to pay more for less with PSA.

Soooo, you didn't get the grades you wanted on your cards so it must then be a conspiracy favoring the big dealers? I've only submitted to PSA a few times, most recent was in 2004. Never had an issue and the max I ever submitted at once was 10 cards. Most were popped out of other companies slabs as well and received either the same grade or half a grade off.

Not that I disagree with the catering, I believe they all do it. I mean really, they are a business there to make money. I picked up a BGS 9.5 '88 Topps Traded Roberto Alomar a couple of years ago. The seller had approximately 10 available (had similar listings with different cards as well) so I was only seeing one photo but I figured it would be in sharp condition. Needless to say the card was off centered and had a rough top/left edge. I could assume that it was a similar situation in regards to large volume dealers but just chalk it up to a lesson learned, buy the card not the flip.

RE: Which grading service is better for vintage football??? PSA or BGS??? - cowboyfaninar - 08-07-2014

I dont agree with the SGC holder being crap. I venture to guess they are way more vintage and T-cards in SGC holders than BVG......All 3 grading companies have their pros and cons and I use both BGS/BVG and SGC...I dont use PSA as I can't see paying a$100 a yr for the ability to send them my cards and then wait about 50 business days for return...Seems as much business PSA has Joe Orlando might consider hiring more graders in order to provide better service???