`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Super (?) Box updated

RE: Super (?) Box
(04-21-2013, 02:49 PM)saeholla Wrote: I was interested in buying couple super boxes too.. i'm not quite sure now.

How many boxes/cases do you think sbaycards made for this promo?
This is probably going to come off sounding rude, and I don't mean it to, but why would anyone consider buying from them after seeing this thread? I get small sample size and all that, but if they think that's acceptable to give someone for $100+, then I'm running away.

(04-21-2013, 02:49 PM)saeholla Wrote: I was interested in buying couple super boxes too.. i'm not quite sure now.

How many boxes/cases do you think sbaycards made for this promo?
Scott, from sbay, told me that they sold 450 so far (and had no complaints)
Then He mentioned that they were half way sold out and nobody reported getting the Mantle rookie. So using my superb powers of deductive reasoning Smile I'd say 900 +/- super boxes were made.
(04-21-2013, 03:29 PM)cubswinagain Wrote: This is probably going to come off sounding rude, and I don't mean it to, but why would anyone consider buying from them after seeing this thread? I get small sample size and all that, but if they think that's acceptable to give someone for $100+, then I'm running away.
One of the reasons I posted what I did. We're here to watch each others' backs, tell us when something is good, warn us when something is bad, celebrate when someone is lucky and commiserate when unlucky. I'm not gonna say don't order from this guy or that company, but here's what happened to me. It was a warning, but then again, your odds of scoring a Mantle Rookie now are only about 1:450 Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

and thats if the mantle doesnt end up in a "friend's" hand

So I went and read the listing that they have up for these "super boxes". They even come right out and say something to the tone of, " If you buy 5 of these boxes we promise to give you one of the good cards." To me that's them almost saying it straight to your face that you won't get anything good unless you give them $500.

(04-21-2013, 07:24 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: and thats if the mantle doesnt end up in a "friend's" hand
Too true!

(04-21-2013, 07:48 PM)cubswinagain Wrote: So I went and read the listing that they have up for these "super boxes". They even come right out and say something to the tone of, " If you buy 5 of these boxes we promise to give you one of the good cards." To me that's them almost saying it straight to your face that you won't get anything good unless you give them $500.
When I questioned them, I was told that the Mantle card had an equal chance of being in the single box or the case boxes. And they weren't lying .... Your chances are the same ..... (ZERO! Smile..just kidding)
They said the specific case "hits" were special cards, and redemptions for bats, balls, etc.
Maybe I'm a little naïve to think they'd be on the level. Now that It was brought to my attention, It's just too easy to arrange the Mantle card to end up in an employee's, a friend's, or a relative's hand!
Too freakin' easy ... And if they don't sell all the boxes, and the last 5-10 were still left in the store with a mantle redemption card? Oh well? There's nothing stating that the card has to be given away. At least I'm unaware of it.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I just sent the following to Scott at SBayCards.
I tried to give a fair account and figure if you want to chime in, I'll give you the opportunity.
Regards,
Mitch"

As far as business goes, I wouldn't want someone talking behind my back. It gives him the chance to defend any allegations, and defend himself and his business if I misrepresented anything at all (which I don't believe I did)
Anyway, hope that's permissible and I didn't step out of bounds with the Moderators in doing so.
Mitch

PS: I also want to be fair to Scott & Sbay. Up until now, I was usually pleased with their products and super boxes. Never getting anything major, but always had the feeling that I got my money's worth. Just didn't get that feeling this time.

Pretty surprising that they sent you a dud after you complained the first time. If anything, I would expect that they really would give you a good SB to make up for the first bad one. It's bizarre that they would talk this lot up though.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I am a big Piazza fan and would more than happy to trade for that one. Please PM me and we'll take it from there! Thanks! RJ

For $109, I would have been pretty upset. I stay away from self-packed garbage like this. People just do these things to unload large quantities of cards when they know they wouldn't sell individually for what they are charging. These people know that we like to take chances and they have it set up so that they come out ahead 99% of the time.

Honestly, I just can't believe they'd throw the Mantle redemption in one of their "super boxes" and forget which one it is. I'm sure they have a general idea of which boxes are worth more than others.

Flipping through the Beckett Baseball monthly I got in the mail over the weekend, I noticed a full page ad for Sbay. I checked it out and damn near bought a super box before this thread saved me.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]