`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Super (?) Box updated

RE: Super (?) Box
my LCS has grab bags of different price levels, all guaranteed to be beckett book value greater than the bag.
so like a $25 grab bag might be book valued at say 30...cant remember the exact numbers.

I bought a cheap one before to try out and got some decent stuff.

(04-20-2013, 09:49 AM)rentzington Wrote: my LCS has grab bags of different price levels, all guaranteed to be beckett book value greater than the bag.
so like a $25 grab bag might be book valued at say 30...cant remember the exact numbers.

I bought a cheap one before to try out and got some decent stuff.
if you spend 25 dollars and dont get at least - AT LEAST 100 dollars of bv in return...you got completely ripped off.

also, that 100 dollars of bv better not have more than 50 cards

if you buy a grab bag, get less than 4x's bv, get less than 2 dollars per card average: you have been ripped off
(04-20-2013, 09:46 AM)joba the clark Wrote: That is pretty bad for $109 bucks!!! The least they could do is throw in a card that sells for like $50 in those lots. I would be very mad if that was what I got from one of those. But again its a grab bag, grab bags usually consist of cards that won't sell by themselves on the secondary market so they are marketed with a chance to get something great to get people to buy their junk. I always stay away from grab bags like that because I just don't believe that anyone gives away good stuff in em.
**ahem**

not always true, thank you.

i mean, im not lottering my stuff off. i would never - NEVER - tell someone: buy 10 dollars of lots, and you MIGHT get a mantle rookie. thats bogus

but i have given out LOTS of cards worth 500-2500 dollars each

that box seems particularly bad but I can't really judge their "superbox" by it alone --- I'm sure plenty of us have paid for a $100 box of current products and barely gotten $20 return value out of them also

its a gamble like anything else. that is just a particularly bad low end if that is the low end ouch
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

(04-20-2013, 10:22 AM)johnxgodfree Wrote: that box seems particularly bad but I can't really judge their "superbox" by it alone --- I'm sure plenty of us have paid for a $100 box of current products and barely gotten $20 return value out of them also

its a gamble like anything else. that is just a particularly bad low end if that is the low end ouch
in my experience:

Any time there is a "chase" auction - you could win a jordan rookie (but you wont), you could get 4-500 times your bid (youre gonna get 4), you could win a mickey mantle rookie (not even if you bought every box):

this is a fairly middle ground box. it doesnt get much better, nor much worse from a seller like that

huge sellers rely on their rep to keep folks in line. "youre the first person to complain"? you arent. but many folks wont complain because they figure with a seller that big, this is what should be expected, that this IS a good box

I get that...You aren't the one in question here. I know your reputation is good with everyone here. I just don't get how a company like that can justify sending a paying customer cards like that in a lot. Like I said it wouldn't be as bad if there was like a $50 BV card in that lot. He got a bunch of cards that would sell for $3 each if he is lucky. I don't expect them to stay in business too long doing stuff like that. Someone should keep tabs on em to see if someone gets the Mantle.
(04-20-2013, 10:13 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: if you spend 25 dollars and dont get at least - AT LEAST 100 dollars of bv in return...you got completely ripped off.

if you buy a grab bag, get less than 4x's bv, get less than 2 dollars per card average: you have been ripped off

**ahem**

i mean, im not lottering my stuff off. i would never - NEVER - tell someone: buy 10 dollars of lots, and you MIGHT get a mantle rookie. thats bogus

yes,you got hosed
arguably the best card-piazza lat sold for $2.75,national treasures is (expensive) junk with no logo,insignias,licensing any resemblance to mlb (sparky is cool though),mathews is damaged,better hope the no namer prospect makes it big -lol
sorry ,but just my opinion

(04-20-2013, 10:13 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: if you spend 25 dollars and dont get at least - AT LEAST 100 dollars of bv in return...you got completely ripped off.

**ahem**

if you spend 25 dollars and dont get at least - AT LEAST 100 dollars of bv in return...you got completely ripped off.

"if you buy a grab bag, get less than 4x's bv, get less than 2 dollars per card average: you have been ripped off"

I agree with this comment and this math. It has been my experience that this ratio applies to not only grab bag situations but also to factory packs and boxes - on average.
Always looking for Al Kaline cards - Mr. Tiger!

(04-20-2013, 10:22 AM)johnxgodfree Wrote: that box seems particularly bad but I can't really judge their "superbox" by it alone --- I'm sure plenty of us have paid for a $100 box of current products and barely gotten $20 return value out of them also

Any time I've spent $100 on a box of new product, at worst, i feel as if the least I got back was $80. For example, Gypsy Queen is about $100. You get 2 auto, 2 relic and a whole bunch of mini, SP and base cards, and a box loader. Even if you get 2 low end relic and 2 low end autos, the rest of the product brings you up to at least 80%. You still have the "gamble" of getting a big hit, but you never get totally ripped off, IMO.

With the Super (?) Box the best card of the bunch was easily obtainable on eBay for $20, and I'm certain, I could have it for less if I waited. The second best card wasn't much better, easily had for $15. The other 2, if I really wanted them, 4 bucks a pop at the high end! These are lots that the card store put together. If you are making 400 lots at $100 a box, you could afford and make sure to put a $40-50 card in each box (Even if you're giving away a 2.5 graded Mantle Rookie) A $50 card doesn't cost a card shop $50.

(04-20-2013, 03:56 PM)camco2 Wrote: yes,you got hosed
arguably the best card-piazza lat sold for $2.75,national treasures is (expensive) junk with no logo,insignias,licensing any resemblance to mlb (sparky is cool though),mathews is damaged,better hope the no namer prospect makes it big -lol
sorry ,but just my opinion
Yeah pretty much!
After the last time I got ripped, I called and complained. They said they wanted to keep my faith in them, especially for this new box that they said " would not disappoint" SBay promised that these new super boxes would have less cards but all would be high end product .... National Treasures? High end? Not in my opinion.
(04-20-2013, 11:19 AM)joba the clark Wrote: Someone should keep tabs on em to see if someone gets the Mantle.
They are sending out a redemption card so they can be assured that they will know when the Mantle card is found. So far, they posted that its still MIA. If nobody claims it, or if it doesn't get sold, I guess they win and they keep it. That doesn't seem fair either! It should be awarded to a buyer after a certain time has elapsed without a winner! Right? In the past they had a ticket and pulled the 'prize' from the buyers with success. Wonder why it's different now.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(04-21-2013, 08:45 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Any time I've spent $100 on a box of new product, at worst, i feel as if the least I got back was $80. For example, Gypsy Queen is about $100. You get 2 auto, 2 relic and a whole bunch of mini, SP and base cards, and a box loader. Even if you get 2 low end relic and 2 low end autos, the rest of the product brings you up to at least 80%. You still have the "gamble" of getting a big hit, but you never get totally ripped off, IMO.
you have far better luck with opening product than some of us then if at worst you get is $80 return on each $100 worth of boxes you open.

or maybe its a small sample size and you've done really well. but for most current product I'd say most of us wouldn't expect to get 80% back out of what we were about to open ever. maybe opening cases worth and being one of the first to bust/open/sell counting on case hits/big product hits to pull the value up but --- this post isn't about ripping a few cases - it is about one box a person opened of a product. he did really bad, but I can't really say much as to what he opened since I haven't seen what anyone else is pulling from it and if they are all this bad
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

I was interested in buying couple super boxes too.. i'm not quite sure now.

How many boxes/cases do you think sbaycards made for this promo?