`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Why are new sets N/A for pricing for so long?

Why are new sets N/A for pricing for so long?
Can anyone let me know how long it usually takes for pricing to be available on the beckett website for new card sets released?
The reason I ask is because I just started getting back into card collecting and now everyone uses the internet for their price guides. Before, all we had was the magazines to use as price guides and if i remember correctly the prices were usually out when the cards came out too. So it is frustrating to me when a new card set is released but the pricing isn't available on this site. The checklists are released months ahead of the release date. Why isnt the pricing available on the release date? It makes it hard to trade without something to help put a value on your cards.
Am I the only one bothered with this? Is there a time frame that is usually followed before Beckett releases prices? If so, what is the normal release date of pricing after a new set is released?

RE: Why are new sets N/A for pricing for so long?
Welcome back to collecting.

I think you are remembering incorrectly - pricing was usually 1-2 issues (i.e. months) behind a product being released. Also, full checklists aren't always made available until the product releases.

Pricing is based on real sales as reported by a select group of stores, successful eBay auctions, etc, etc. Since you can't have any of that data before the product is actually available you can't have pricing. You still can't have "accurate" pricing from day 1 because the data set is not large enough to reflect the real trend. The prices in stores/eBay tend to settle out over a few weeks so we typically see Beckett begin providing pricing 2-3 weeks after a product releases. Mind you I don't work for them and they don't guarantee any timeline - sometimes we see pricing faster, sometimes slower.

If you have online pricing you will have pricing available to you sooner than someone who relies only on the printed issues, sometimes by a week or so, sometimes by 5-6 weeks. So all in all, pricing is available much faster these days but there still has to be some delay for it to be of value and not skewed dramatically by anomalies.

And of course the obligatory, pricing provided by Beckett is a guide, not an actual set in stone value. If you can or want to get more for the card by all means try to do so.

Also for the most part you can get an idea of the base cards in a set just from looking at other similar sets. I mean many around here had an idea what a base Harper, base Jeter, or base Trout in 2013 Topps was gonna get priced at. Inserts can be tough to judge though so I feel your pain. I've been waiting for 2012-13 Panini basketball pricing to show up as I actually managed a couple of decent pulls and want to use them as trade bait to get more of my PC guys stuff.

(03-19-2013, 02:08 AM)aktlingit Wrote: Welcome back to collecting.

I think you are remembering incorrectly - pricing was usually 1-2 issues (i.e. months) behind a product being released. Also, full checklists aren't always made available until the product releases.

Pricing is based on real sales as reported by a select group of stores, successful eBay auctions, etc, etc. Since you can't have any of that data before the product is actually available you can't have pricing. You still can't have "accurate" pricing from day 1 because the data set is not large enough to reflect the real trend. The prices in stores/eBay tend to settle out over a few weeks so we typically see Beckett begin providing pricing 2-3 weeks after a product releases. Mind you I don't work for them and they don't guarantee any timeline - sometimes we see pricing faster, sometimes slower.

If you have online pricing you will have pricing available to you sooner than someone who relies only on the printed issues, sometimes by a week or so, sometimes by 5-6 weeks. So all in all, pricing is available much faster these days but there still has to be some delay for it to be of value and not skewed dramatically by anomalies.

And of course the obligatory, pricing provided by Beckett is a guide, not an actual set in stone value. If you can or want to get more for the card by all means try to do so.

Also for the most part you can get an idea of the base cards in a set just from looking at other similar sets. I mean many around here had an idea what a base Harper, base Jeter, or base Trout in 2013 Topps was gonna get priced at. Inserts can be tough to judge though so I feel your pain. I've been waiting for 2012-13 Panini basketball pricing to show up as I actually managed a couple of decent pulls and want to use them as trade bait to get more of my PC guys stuff.
Great explanation, couldnt have said it any better!!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(03-19-2013, 08:25 AM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Great explanation, couldnt have said it any better!!
it was a lot better than my "because they dont pull it from their butt" explanation. mine had brevity in its favor, however

(03-19-2013, 08:49 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: it was a lot better than my "because they dont pull it from their butt" explanation. mine had brevity in its favor, however
LOL true
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(03-19-2013, 08:49 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: it was a lot better than my "because they dont pull it from their butt" explanation. mine had brevity in its favor, however
Still a guessing game to me because normally the first month or two the cards are on fire and normally inflates the price but ends up settling down after that besides the super rare cards.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

Uhhh. Yeaaah. At first I was thinking that a retard could explain it better than the good ol fashioned "cause they don't pull it from their butt".
But, you proved to be a little more intelligent than someone with a mental disability on the second sentence by displaying that huge vocabulary improvement with the word brevity in it. Good job! No more window licking for you anymore, your a big kid now!
(03-19-2013, 02:08 AM)aktlingit Wrote: Welcome back to collecting.

Thanks for the awesome response. I guess it's been too long since I collected to remember. I always thought that the Becketts had the pricing available right away when I was a kid.

I'm glad you understand that it should be fairly easy to price one set to the next because thats what i do to get an idea. But like you said, the inserts are hard to predict sometimes! Like the out of bounds sp in Topps series one this year for example. I let a harper sp out of bounds go for way less than i want to admit. then when the book value came out it was $50!!! I couldnt believe it. I just figured that they could value the rarity of inserts and sp by doing the math based on the ratios for the odds provided by the manufacturers.

Oh well, I guess it makes sense though. Can't put much of a book value on anything till you some sales records to obtain data from. I guess I was just hoping that I was the only guy who thought of this and Beckett would read this and say "why didn't we think of that?" Then procede to release the prices right away. Just being impatient is what i am doing. Just like a big kid, these cards bring it out of you. I've seen grown men act like 5 year olds lately because of the cards they pulled. It's funny, I do it too.

I have to admit, it's pretty exciting anticipating those prices to come out so I can brag to my buddies I trade with about the badass cards I pulled recently. Got a bazooka mini insert with odds of 1:377 packs! I got a hand numbered mini, and a couple relics and one of them serial numbered by the way... It's fun collecting and trading these new age cards.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, it makes perfect sense now.

(03-24-2013, 03:00 AM)Jdub31981 Wrote: Uhhh. Yeaaah. At first I was thinking that a retard could explain it better than the good ol fashioned "cause they don't pull it from their butt".
But, you proved to be a little more intelligent than someone with a mental disability on the second sentence by displaying that huge vocabulary improvement with the word brevity in it. Good job! No more window licking for you anymore, your a big kid now!
well, arent you my new favorite member. we're gonna be friends forever, i can just tell

*grabs tire iron*

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the true point of Beckett's values? If they value something at $50, you can usually find it easily for less than $25 whether it be online or at an LCS. What does the value stand for?
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

Beckett could give a Suggested price based on history, but then they would be accused of setting prices.