`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reasons NOT to grade Relic Cards?

Reasons NOT to grade Relic Cards?
Preferences aside, raw collecting vs the benefits of graded cards and condition preservation, I'm looking for any valid reasons NOT to grade relic cards.

As an example, I've seen a number of 2003 Topps Tributes tarnish, for lack of a better word. I've run across a few where the surface finish was cloudy. In some cases, the cloudy film wiped off and the original surface finish was restored. In other cases, the cloudiness and damage was deep into the card layer and couldn't be wiped away. I don't know if this is condition inherent to the card or if it was an external cause but the 2003's seem to be the only Tribute issue where I've noticed this. I'd hate to grade a 2003 Tribute Jimmie Foxx bat relic and then have it tarnish after grading.

My personal ritual with relics is to touch the uniform swatch, just once, before storing them. I like the idea of touching a pinstripe that was worn Lou Gehrig or other players. Encasing a relic eliminates this from anyone who might purchase or inherit it.

I plan to send in a good number of Yastrzemski relics ranging from 1/1 to xx/36 in for grading. There's no shortage of Yaz relics but I'm more indecisive about players like Gehrig, Wagner, Ott, Hornsby, Sisler, DiMaggio, Greenberg, Williams, and a few others, mostly low numbered relics, including bats, largely because of the touch factor and because the aesthetics of these cards are better when raw. Preserving those aesthetics through grading is a bit of a dilemma.

Most of these are Tribute (not 2003), Triple Threads, and Sterling.

Any other potential ideas on why not to grade are welcomed. Thanks.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

RE: Reasons NOT to grade Relic Cards?
Reasons I may not slab may be the reasons you want to slab.

If you collect and don't ever for see yourself selling, then slab all of it. Who cares about those people down the line.
[Image: Redskins_banner_1.gif]
[Image: Steelers_banner_1.gif]

because i dont like authenticating something i know there is a good chance is fake

(02-25-2013, 05:14 PM)alifaxwa2 Wrote: Reasons I may not slab may be the reasons you want to slab.

If you collect and don't ever for see yourself selling, then slab all of it. Who cares about those people down the line.
You're right, collecting is all personal. You're sig reminds me, I need a Bettis swatch for my Rams collection.
(02-25-2013, 06:55 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: because i dont like authenticating something i know there is a good chance is fake
I seriously doubt someone of your wisdom falls for fakes so I will take that as wry humor.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

(02-25-2013, 09:45 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: I seriously doubt someone of your wisdom falls for fakes so I will take that as wry humor.
im not talking about aftermarket fakes. im speaking of topps, ud, panani, buying jerseys that are fakes, and not doing thir research. it's already happened more than a few times, and any jerseys/bats of "vintage" players is absolutely suspect

(02-26-2013, 08:35 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: im not talking about aftermarket fakes. im speaking of topps, ud, panani, buying jerseys that are fakes, and not doing thir research. it's already happened more than a few times, and any jerseys/bats of "vintage" players is absolutely suspect
Yes, that is a huge concern. The FBI report link found in this Cardboard Connection article, I feel is the best source of information regarding fake GU, even though there are many unanswered questions: http://www.cardboardconnection.com/card-...-interview

I'm most concerned about Upper Deck because of what's in the report, their fake Yu gi oh cards, and the millions owed to MLB. Not trustworthy at all. Donruss is pretty suspicious based on the report as well but maybe more unwittingly. Topps is named but not nearly as incriminating as the others in the report but I'm sure they have issues as well.

One issue I can point to is that Topps has used polyester pinstripe swatches for several Mantle cards but the only GU it could ever be is an Old Timers Game or similar or worse since he never wore poly during his playing career. I did see a YouTube video filmed in Topps' relic room a few years back and a key phrase the Topps spokesperson used was "league approved" when referring to vendors from whom memorabilia is purchased. A little more comforting maybe, but still, I'd like to see Topps doing the buying and cutting, which apparently they don't do either, based on the video.

I've been inclined to write to the companies to ask for provenance to see what kind of response I would get. I would be surprised if I got anything specific but I think it's what the card companies need to do.