`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Personal Behind the Scenes Journal Leading Up to Super Bowl 47

Personal Behind the Scenes Journal Leading Up to Super Bowl 47
As some of you may know, I am currently working in the Superdome here in New Orleans as an outside contractor. I kinda wanted to give a personal perspective as to the goings on in preparation to the Big Party on February 3rd. Mind you, I am tight lipped about the major goings on at this point and time, but I wanted to share some of the things that the NFL is doing in our fair city.

Because of obvious reasons, we are not allowed to take photos of what is being done inside the dome. We are also forbidden to take photos of the decorating around the Dome, Champions Square, and the immediate vicinity of the Dome. I will try to take some pictures the day of the game and share them with you all. Let's just say that the NFL is doing an awesome job of transforming several areas inside, while maintaining that charm that the Superdome has. In the meantime, I have found some public photos that I will share and give a little info on.

I want to start off by saying there are a lot of hard working people that not only are a part of this Super Bowl, but the Saints games and other functions as well. They do a fantastic job each and every day, and I've come to know so many of them. With the security even stricter than it normally is, each of us does our part to be vigilant and helpful. The motto of this Super Bowl is FANS FIRST, and everyone here is signed off on it, including the entire city. We are already going to be in the throws (pardon the pun) of Mardi Gras, and we want to make a great impression and for the visitors to have fun!

Rest assured, those who come to the game will be pleasantly surprised. The NFL is pulling out all the stops to make this area a party city. I can't wait to see it the day of the game!

Now, here's a few photos that I've pulled off the web:

[Image: 0ap1000000130497.jpg]

This is a decoration on the facade of the Hibernia Bank on Girod Street. This picture doesn't do it justice, especially the gold lettering on the window. The streetcar passing by is the result of a massive improvement of the rails on the streets , which took a few months and caused many a headache for many trying to drive to the Quarter

Here are some photos of the decorating on the outside of the Dome itself:

[Image: dome.jpg]
[Image: bilde.jpg]
[Image: 2013-01-20-super-bowl-new-orleans-4_3_r536_c534.jpg]

Each day they are adding a new decoration on adjacent buildings. the building on the right was decorated a few days ago
[Image: sns-photos-super-bowl-xlvii-pg-009.jpg]

The coolest decoration so far is the Lombardi Trophy on the face of the Hyatt. This things looks cool during the day, but at night....
[Image: 484783_10151363983954349_821234996_n.jpg]
[Image: b7bb4c1e74ced6556cfa154a4e1d16c8a9b81660.jpg]

And a picture of the Dome at night
[Image: sns-photos-super-bowl-xlvii-pg-008.jpg]

And Mrs. Halftime appears on the Jumbotron outside the Arena
[Image: beyonce.jpg]

Incidentally, caught a glimpse of the new logo for our basketball team. They will be called the Pelicans starting next year. I like their new logo!

BTW, I gotta find this shirt. Words can't describe how awesome it is:
[Image: ravens_superbound2013_outinstyle_purp.jpg]

More to come!!!

[Image: 2a1aA.jpg]

RE: Personal Behind the Scenes Journal Leading Up to Super Bowl 47
Awesome stuff!
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Let's see that "feared" Pelicans logo. lol Cool SB pics.
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

(01-24-2013, 08:38 PM)englandhousehold Wrote: Let's see that "feared" Pelicans logo. lol Cool SB pics.
[Image: ewqfv.jpg]

Actually I like the logo, could have been worse

This is another version under consideration
[Image: New-Orleans-Pelicans.png]

Logo is nice...don't think anyone will fear the Pelicans for the name though. You know?

(01-24-2013, 09:45 PM)englandhousehold Wrote: Logo is nice...don't think anyone will fear the Pelicans for the name though. You know?
Tom Benson, the owner, picked the name for two reasons: 1) it's the state bird and people of Louisiana would identify with it, and 2) it would bring attention to our dwindling coastline. There's more to that second part, and I think that's coming out in the near future. BTW we used to have a minor league baseball team called the Pelican years ago as well

Yeah I knew it was the state bird, to each their own I guess. Didn't know the baseball name, don't follow it much.

(01-24-2013, 09:56 PM)Duchovny2 Wrote: Tom Benson, the owner, picked the name for two reasons: 1) it's the state bird and people of Louisiana would identify with it, and 2) it would bring attention to our dwindling coastline. There's more to that second part, and I think that's coming out in the near future. BTW we used to have a minor league baseball team called the Pelican years ago as well

(01-24-2013, 10:24 PM)englandhousehold Wrote: Yeah I knew it was the state bird, to each their own I guess. Didn't know the baseball name, don't follow it much.
are you kidding me? do you know what lethal killing machines pelicans are?

http://deadspin.com/5966336/*****-you-pe...-team-name

Lol thanks for the read Jacoby.

(01-24-2013, 11:21 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: are you kidding me? do you know what lethal killing machines pelicans are?

http://deadspin.com/5966336/*****-you-pe...-team-name

You know, as I have thought about it all day, NBA teams don't really have fierce names, ya know? In fact, there are a lot of similarities as to why the name Pelicans was chosen.

The Orlando Magic: Obvious nod to Disney
Miami Heat: You ever been there? It gets pretty hot sometimes
Los Angeles Lakers: After one year of being in Minnesota (which makes more sense), they moved to Los Angeles and kept the Lakers name
Utah Jazz: same thing, moved from New Orleans and kept the name Jazz ( where is jazz in Utah?)
Chicago Bulls: known for being a rough team in the 70s, got their name around the other Chicago teams
Boston Celtics: the original owner wanted to sell tickets to the Irish market
Cleveland Cavaliers: The father of MLB pitcher Brett Tomko won a write in contest of over 11,000 entries
Atlanta Hawks:The franchise was formed in 1946 and known as the Buffalo Bisons. After only 13 games in its inaugural season, owner Ben Kerner moved the team to Moline, Illinois. (At that time, the area was known as the "Tri-Cities" (Moline, Rock Island, Illinois, and Davenport, Iowa.), though today it is called the Quad Cities). Kerner renamed the team the Tri-Cities Blackhawks; the Blackhawks were named after the Black Hawk War that was mostly fought in Illinois.

In 1951, the franchise relocated to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and shortened their nickname to simply "Hawks"

Detroit Pistons: .....DUH

Sorry bout the history lesson, but that's a few of them. The funniest thought to me happens to be a football team, the Cardinals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but would you think of ever seeing this:

Oh GOD honey! Get the kids in the house ! There's a cardinal in that tree in the back yard! He's gonna haul little Jeffrey off!