`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
grading?

grading?
I've never submitted any cards for grading but I have some that I would like to in the near future. I'm looking for opinions on PSA, SGC, or Beckett?
Pro's and con's?
Seems like PSA graded cards bring a better price? Why?

RE: grading?
I yanked this from user coimbre21 as I thought this was a solid post based on his thoughts of each of the three. My questions to you are: 1)What type of cards are you thinking of sending in? (pre/post war vintage/modern/prospects/etc) 2) Are you planning to sell them afterwards or are they PC?

*The below is from a post coimbre21 made.
BVG/BGS
LIKE: Holder offers the best protection, largely because of the soft sleeve contained within the casing/holder. It's an added layer of protecting that keeps the card from banging around inside.

CONCERNS: No functioning registry to drive further interest or demand for Beckett graded cards. Those who started registries have been neglected and in limbo for over 1.5 years.

SGC
LIKE: Holder offers the best display. The black frame really highlights the card colors and players. Customer service is exceptional.

CONCERNS: Ironically the black frame is my largest concern. I have a number of SGC graded cards that were wedged into the frame, which in effect altered the condition (usually on the bottom edge for some reason) that is stated on the label. Use of a 10x loupe provides a clearer view to any potential damage unseen to the naked eye.

PSA
LIKE: PSA really understands registry management as a serious & fun collection tool and as leverage in driving value to PSA graded cards, for both the company and collector. I also really like the card holder design for modern, thicker cards, although a bit larger than needed.

CONCERNS: Cards need to be secured better inside the holder. I winced the first time I heard my 1969 Topps PSA 8 Nolan Ryan accidentally bang around inside the holder. As much as I like the holder for thicker, modern cards, it really suffers from this affliction.

(01-12-2013, 12:07 PM)cardinalcorey Wrote: Seems like PSA graded cards bring a better price? Why?
Two words: Set Registry.

Personally, I collect BGS/BVG Graded Nolan Ryan cards. I buy PSA 10's of Ryans that Beckett hasn't Graded yet OR that have no 9.5's and cross them over to Beckett.

I am a Beckett lifer!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(01-12-2013, 12:15 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I yanked this from user coimbre21 as I thought this was a solid post based on his thoughts of each of the three. My questions to you are: 1)What type of cards are you thinking of sending in? (pre/post war vintage/modern/prospects/etc) 2) Are you planning to sell them afterwards or are they PC?

BVG/BGS
LIKE: Holder offers the best protection, largely because of the soft sleeve contained within the casing/holder. It's an added layer of protecting that keeps the card from banging around inside.

CONCERNS: No functioning registry to drive further interest or demand for Beckett graded cards. Those who started registries have been neglected and in limbo for over 1.5 years.

SGC
LIKE: Holder offers the best display. The black frame really highlights the card colors and players. Customer service is exceptional.

CONCERNS: Ironically the black frame is my largest concern. I have a number of SGC graded cards that were wedged into the frame, which in effect altered the condition (usually on the bottom edge for some reason) that is stated on the label. Use of a 10x loupe provides a clearer view to any potential damage unseen to the naked eye.

PSA
LIKE: PSA really understands registry management as a serious & fun collection tool and as leverage in driving value to PSA graded cards, for both the company and collector. I also really like the card holder design for modern, thicker cards, although a bit larger than needed.

CONCERNS: Cards need to be secured better inside the holder. I winced the first time I heard my 1969 Topps PSA 8 Nolan Ryan accidentally bang around inside the holder. As much as I like the holder for thicker, modern cards, it really suffers from this affliction.
Thanks for this post Rice.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

(01-12-2013, 12:23 PM)cweiland Wrote: Thanks for this post Rice.
Thank coimbre!
[Image: smiley.gif]

(01-12-2013, 12:15 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I yanked this from user coimbre21 as I thought this was a solid post based on his thoughts of each of the three. My questions to you are: 1)What type of cards are you thinking of sending in? (pre/post war vintage/modern/prospects/etc) 2) Are you planning to sell them afterwards or are they PC?

BVG/BGS

SGC

PSA

Awesome, thanks for the info.
I have some vintage, modern, prospects, game used and auto's from by Cardinal PC. I'm not going to be selling them, I want to be able to give them to my kids when they are older and hope that they can pass them on to their kids and so on.

(01-12-2013, 12:40 PM)cardinalcorey Wrote: Awesome, thanks for the info.
I have some vintage, modern, prospects, game used and auto's from by Cardinal PC. I'm not going to be selling them, I want to be able to give them to my kids when they are older and hope that they can pass them on to their kids and so on.
In that regard then, I would say to try and inspect a couple of each graded companies cards in person and inspect it for yourself to determine which slab you like better in terms of appearance and durability. After that, check out the costs you are looking at for each, and make your determination that way. Ultimately, in regards to the final grade, I don't think you're going to see much difference in the final result if any at all.

I like Beckett, they grade more conservatively and the holders are great protection-wise.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(01-12-2013, 12:40 PM)cardinalcorey Wrote: Awesome, thanks for the info.
Post scans here. -Some guys have a pretty good grading eye and can point out cards that might not be worth grading. Plus, I like seeing posts updated once the grades come back in (after every one has made their guesses).
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(01-12-2013, 02:03 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: I like Beckett, they grade more conservatively and the holders are great protection-wise.
I'm with you Tom.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!