Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cards to buy grade and then sell

Cards to buy grade and then sell
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to flip some cards around to make a little spending money for my Ryne Sandberg PC.

What are some cards that I can acquire for a reasonable amount and that sell high for a BGS 9 or BGS 9.5?

Thanks!
 photo banner_zpsbab74229.jpg

RE: Cards to buy grade and then sell
If it were easy, we'd all be doing it Wink I'm no expert of graded cards, but from what I gather the graded cards that book abnormally high are due to rarity/scarcity. Take the 1971 Topps Bert Blyleven RC. Ungraded, in NRMT shape, it books for X. The same card graded at an 8 books 10x higher than the ungraded one. http://www.beckett.com/baseball/1971/top...rc-3730653

Another thing is that even if you had a good shot at, say, 50 Xander Bogart or Manny Machado Bowman Chromes, only 3-4 would probably be gradable. Of those 4, maybe 1 or 2 would come in at a 9.5. In the end, it's all a gamble. 4 or 5 months ago I picked up a lot of 75 Avisail Garcia chrome cards for 10 cents on the dollar, which was a good deal. Granted, it's not a hugely valuable card (either then or now), but if I have a 9.5 or 10 in the bunch I'd probably do pretty well.

If you want to make a little money is baseball cards you're probably better off scouring the bay for misspelled listings and other chance opportunities. -For example, I recently was bidding on a Verlander (base) card I needed for my PC. The listing said it was a lot of 2 and described the second card as having a "greenish" tint. I didn't pay it much attention (and the scan did not make it apparent that the card was actually a green refractor), but I bid about $5-6 and ended up with a $20 base card and an $80 parallel. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable straight-up taking advantage of someone's mistake, but there are often opportunities to nab a card at a great price. I follow the listings and will see a card that regularly sells for, say $25, selling for $12 for no apparent reason.

In any event, rest assured that there are plenty of pros out there trying to do the same thing. I'd suggest just have fun with whatever you're doing, make a gamble every now and again, and stay within your means.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(12-23-2012, 07:05 PM)uvaspina Wrote: If it were easy, we'd all be doing it Wink I
Not to mention...why would anyone who is doing this want to tell you or anyone else just to create more competition for themselves on acquiring cheap cards.

Like uvaspina basically said, there's no easy way to make a "quick buck" in the hobby short of dumb luck on a great pull. Other than that, you need to do your own research or homework, and not expect other people to feed you their secrets.

/ rant

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

What they said ^^

What you are talking about is prospecting. Find a young guy and buy cheap, PRAY he explodes and then unload for big money. It is an art that requires you to do your research and have alot of dumb luck. Good luck
[Image: yankees2copy.jpg]

If it looks good condition and it's cheap, then buy it. But that's obvious.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!