`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Master Set Question

Master Set Question
One of my collection goals for 2013 is to complete or nearly complete a Master Set of 2011 Topps. My question is what exactly does that entail? I know that it means every base from Series 1, 2, and Update obviously, and the insert cards, but does that also mean every auto, patch card, and silk card, plus black parallels of base cards? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and if you're curious, I'm doing 2011 because it was the year I got back into collecting after about a ten year hiatus, so it's always going to be special for me (aww).
[Image: indians_zps82881612.jpg]

- Jason Kipnis super collector
- Cleveland Indians Autos/Relics/Inserts/Parallels and Base Sets
- Superstar and HOF autos/relics

RE: Master Set Question
(12-19-2012, 12:17 PM)JamesMichael32 Wrote: One of my collection goals for 2013 is to complete or nearly complete a Master Set of 2011 Topps. My question is what exactly does that entail? I know that it means every base from Series 1, 2, and Update obviously, and the insert cards, but does that also mean every auto, patch card, and silk card, plus black parallels of base cards? Any help would be appreciated.
Yeah, and I would say all the Diamond Anniversary, Cognac and Hope of each card.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I would say just the base and insert sets. There are at least 9 parallel sets with 2011 Topps(Cognac, Diamond, Hope, Black, Gold, Factory Set Limited Edition, Factory Set Red Border, Walmart Black Border(Ser. 1 and 2), Blue Border(Update) and Target). It would be a tall order to put all of those together but it really comes down to your personal preference. We have a ton of 2011 Topps Update inserts for trade in our org. You are welcome to check us out for any of your needs.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Master set is whatever you deem it to be. Most just say all base, and subsets. Others try to do all of the parallels but for the average collector that would just cost too much. Same with autos and relics. I am trying to do the full auto and relic set on 2012 Archives and am about 75% done but there is some monster autos and one very rare relic that I am starting to doubt that I will ever get my hands on.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

(12-19-2012, 01:50 PM)Haze28 Wrote: Master set is whatever you deem it to be. Most just say all base, and subsets. Others try to do all of the parallels but for the average collector that would just cost too much. Same with autos and relics. I am trying to do the full auto and relic set on 2012 Archives and am about 75% done but there is some monster autos and one very rare relic that I am starting to doubt that I will ever get my hands on.
That's kind of how I feel. I would never have the money to get every parallel and auto, so good to know that collectors wouldn't deem it "incomplete" without those.
[Image: indians_zps82881612.jpg]

- Jason Kipnis super collector
- Cleveland Indians Autos/Relics/Inserts/Parallels and Base Sets
- Superstar and HOF autos/relics

(12-19-2012, 01:44 PM)aprirr Wrote: I would say just the base and insert sets. There are at least 9 parallel sets with 2011 Topps(Cognac, Diamond, Hope, Black, Gold, Factory Set Limited Edition, Factory Set Red Border, Walmart Black Border(Ser. 1 and 2), Blue Border(Update) and Target). It would be a tall order to put all of those together but it really comes down to your personal preference. We have a ton of 2011 Topps Update inserts for trade in our org. You are welcome to check us out for any of your needs.
I ONLY collect Nolan Ryan. So I only knew of Diamond, Cognac and Hope, as that's all he has.

(12-19-2012, 02:21 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: I ONLY collect Nolan Ryan. So I only knew of Diamond, Cognac and Hope, as that's all he has.
Very true. My kid pulled the Update Cognac #US50 Nolan Ryan AND the Ryan Update Commemorative Patch card out of the same blaster. And that's why she opens all of the packs I buy!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

(12-19-2012, 02:44 PM)aprirr Wrote: Very true. My kid pulled the Update Cognac #US50 Nolan Ryan AND the Ryan Update Commemorative Patch card out of the same blaster. And that's why she opens all of the packs I buy!
Great for her!!. You go girl!!

I'm working on the Rainbows for the #626B & #US50B ALL in BGS 9.5 Condition. I'm 1 away on both. I need the Hope for #626B & the Cognac for #US50B.

A master set is a master set, as in everything.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(12-19-2012, 08:35 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: A master set is a master set, as in everything.
See, that's what I thought too. And since I only collect Nolan Ryan I didn't know past Base, Diamond, Cognac and Hope.