`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Is it even worth it anymore?

RE: Is it even worth it anymore?
I've grabbed 2 or 3 hobby boxes in the last month or so. Been pretty disappointed until I grabbed a Topps Update blaster form Target and got a PC GU.

I've started buying from people on here as well...probably spending to much but it all goes to PC which makes it worth it AND I'm not dealing w/ EBAY. I'll probably be sticking to buying the rest of the year and next instead of hobby boxes. Maybe the occasional blaster.

The last box I bought was in 1987. I will pick up an occasional blaster but for me it is one or two packs of each brand I see (so I can save a wrapper for my collection) and the complete Topps factory set each year. The rest I get are singles of players that I want. I watch box breaks at the local LCS and the guys get disappointed and walk away leaving their cards behind and I buy all the stars for 25 to 50 cents each.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I buy boxes every Saturday. It's the easiest form of gambling I have since I am so far away from Las Vegas. :-)

Although.... it's much more difficult to "win" than when I am in Vegas since I never sell any cards I pull anyway... That's not exactly gambling, that's just spending, haha

(12-04-2012, 11:09 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i havent bought a box in a decade
+1 But the last time I bought a box was when I bought a box of 1990 Bowman and a box of 1991 Fleer from Sam's.
(12-05-2012, 01:30 PM)zeprock Wrote: The last box I bought was in 1987.
Hey Mark, I posted before I read yours. Wow, 1987. And I thought I had the record. Of course, I wasn't collecting cards in '87. I started collecting Nolan Ryans in the Summer of 1990. And all these years later, I still only collect Nolan Ryan.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I've bought two boxes (Topps Mini) in the last six months. I've found my money is much better spent on singles for my PC. Plus, it cuts down on clutter in my card room. Unless you stay on top of it, things become a mess real quick.

This works for me because I'm not a set builder and I wasn't doing myself any favors by amassing 2/3 of a set, over and over.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I buy a case if I buy any boxes I rather get the full case and normally I do that once a year but this year I didn't buy any as I just worked on buying the singles I wanted.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

I buy lots of boxes, I guess like someone else posted it's the gambler in me. You win some, you lose some. But I don't know, it's just not as satisfying to me to buy one as opposed to pulling one from a pack. When you do get the big pull, it feels pretty awesome. I wouldn't have the Bryce Harper auto from 2012 Archives if I didn't buy the box.

(12-04-2012, 11:14 PM)jlandry287 Wrote: if nobody is buying boxes anymore, where do all the hits go? lol
In the bottom of the Hudson River with the 52' Mantle's ;0)
[Image: 4493bcb91_zpsb323e81b.jpg]

Looking for 2012 & 2013 Topps inserts and sp's

My bucket

(12-06-2012, 08:43 AM)niener82 Wrote: In the bottom of the Hudson River with the 52' Mantle's ;0)
My dad has sworn he had one when he was little but just like every other little kid...

Used the card in his bike spokes
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

Can't see why you would put any card in bike spokes. Anyway, I buy about ten boxes a year and usually about 7 are good, so I continue to open boxes. I cut down by one product a year and only bust one box per product. The rest of my card budget I use on singles.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!