`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
bgs rejection letter regarding skybox autographics

bgs rejection letter regarding skybox autographics
So I got my 6 cards back from bgs today, all of them from the 1996-97 Skybox Autographics, and apparently they are now requiring all of the cards from that set be sent to jsa first. Thanks alot beckett.

[Image: bgsletter.jpg]

[Image: Image.jpg]

[Image: Image3-1.jpg]

[Image: Image5-1.jpg]

[Image: Image4-1.jpg]

[Image: Image66.jpg]

[Image: Image6-1.jpg]

Skybox Autographics Set Collector

RE: bgs rejection letter regarding skybox autographics
Did they grade them without this process first in the past? I'm just assuming you've got a bunch of others based on the percentages you have in your signature block.

Yeah I had a common from the '96 set with bgs only on it, I think it was Nate McMillan. sold it awhile back. But if you go on ebay you will see quite a few graded bgs only without the jsa tag on it. For some reason I feel like I got the "B" squad that looked at my cards, as one of the operators I talked to said a large portion of the graders were out at card shows when my cards were in Dallas getting graded. So yeah this must be a new thing, I just wish beckett was more organized and provided a list of cards that need to be submitted to jsa first.

None of these cards look counterfeit either, Ive been building this set for quite a while now and I know what's real and what isnt.

Yea, I just had this same thing happen to me just recently.
I collected all the 90's autographs and Fleer Highlights autographs with the stamping. I would send 1 - 3 with each grading order.
Here are all the ones they HAVE GRADED for me in the past (as recent as April):

6069336 Basketball 1992-93 Hoops J.Stockton Game AU 9.0 View
6069337 Football 1992 Pro Line Portraits Autographs Emmitt Smith 9.0 View
6243240 Baseball 1992 Fleer Clemens Roger Clemens AU/2000 8.0 View
6961104 Basketball 1993-94 Ultra Karl Malone Karl Malone AU 9.0 View
7153973 Basketball 1993-94 Hoops David Robinson 9.0 View
7153981 Hockey 1994-95 Ultra Sergei Fedorov Sergei Fedorov/AU 9.0 View
7153974 Basketball 1993-94 Fleer Clyde Drexler Clyde Drexler AU 9.0 View
7153980 Football 1992 Ultra Reggie White Autographs Reggie White 9.0 View

I just send 2 more and they rejected them both and sent me the same letter.

7407004 Baseball 1992 Ultra Gwynn Tony Gwynn AU 0.0 View

7407005 Hockey 1992-93 Ultra Jeremy Roenick Jeremy Roenick AU 0.0 View

What angers me even more is I sent a 1998 Elway/Davis Penpals Elway autograph and THAT WAS ALSO RECECTED. THEY GRADED THE WHOLE SET FOR ME BEFORE!!!! (The Manning/Leaf autograph I bought already graded)

6243257 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals J.Elway AU/T.Davis 9.5 View
6510573 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals B.Sanders/E.Smith 9.5 View
6510562 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals S.Mitchell AU/B.Sanders 9.0 View
6510563 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals R.Leaf/P.Manning No Auto 9.5 View
6510564 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals D.Bledsoe AU/K.Stewart AU 9.5 View
6510565 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals T.Aikman AU/K.Collins AU 9.5 View
6510566 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals Favre AU/B.Sanders No AU 9.5 View
6510568 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals Aikman AU/Irvin/Smith 7.5 View
6069329 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals J.Elway AU/B.Favre AU 9.5 View
6069330 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals J.Elway AU/D.Marino AU 9.5 View
6069331 Football 1998 Pinnacle Inscriptions Pen Pals J.Rice AU/S.Young AU 9.5 View

I emailed Charles (NY rep) about this and he gave me the "they never told me anything about rejecting those cards".
So needless to say I am also VERY UPSET about this.
If its a pack inserted autograph I cant understand the need the send to a third party authenticator to get graded. THE GRADERS ARE SUPPOSED TO KNOW THESE CARDS! THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO TELL THE FAKES! THATS WHAT WE ARE PAYING THEM FOR@!!!!!
To get cards graded at $30 a shot to ridiculous and they just may lose a customer in me if this is the new standard.
Im yet to contact Mark Anderson because Charles wants me to scan the remaining cards I have so he can forward and ask on my behalf if there will be any more issues. But I cant find my scanner plug. Sad

Im getting fed up with Beckett's graders getting lazy and refusing to grade a card because they are uneducated on how to tell a fake one.

This is just very confusing, I saw a Kevin Garnett '96-97 Skybox Autographics BGS 9 (with the new auto label on the back) just the other day on ebay. So Im not sure who screwed up here. One of the operators I talked to at beckett did mention that a lot of the graders were out on assignment at card shows and they were short staffed, so maybe their "B" squad was grading (or rejecting) my cards.

If anyone has a point of contact at the grading department Id appreciate some info. I already tried emailing grading@beckett.com, seems like they dont want to reply or just lazy.

(12-03-2012, 08:35 AM)jchavestx Wrote: This is just very confusing, I saw a Kevin Garnett '96-97 Skybox Autographics BGS 9 (with the new auto label on the back) just the other day on ebay. So Im not sure who screwed up here. One of the operators I talked to at beckett did mention that a lot of the graders were out on assignment at card shows and they were short staffed, so maybe their "B" squad was grading (or rejecting) my cards.

If anyone has a point of contact at the grading department Id appreciate some info. I already tried emailing grading@beckett.com, seems like they dont want to reply or just lazy.
PM sent.
If you get any info, please pass it along to me or mention my example as well.

I don't understand how they can produce a price guide saying these cards exist, the in turn have another department say the card has to authenticated by JSA. Makes no sense...
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(12-06-2012, 09:36 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I don't understand how they can produce a price guide saying these cards exist, the in turn have another department say the card has to authenticated by JSA. Makes no sense...
+1
Their excuse mainly is the few and far between of unsigned cards that slipped out the back door.
But those MOSTLY are from brands like Score Board and the 2004-2005 era of Fleer (bankruptcy time). Other than that, they have no excuse.
If they graded these cards before (see my example) then why cant they now?

There hasnt been an influx of fakes on these AT ALL. Im on ebay EVERYDAY looking at autograph cards from this time period. The only fakes I really come across are the 1998 Score Board Graded set and the 1993-1994 Hopps Larry Bird and Magic Johnson autograph.

Still gotta ask the same question again: If they graded these cards before then why cant they now?
I would assume the guys that graded the previous ones still work there. Did they leave? Hit their head and forget how to tell a fake from real one?
I kinda gotta wonder if its just designed to get more $ out of us real collectors.
Most autograph submissions are probably newer stuff (2001 to 2012), so the ppl that submit cards like this (me and the OP) are a small demographic to them and probably see us more as a nuance than a real customer. This way they dont really have to give the card a thorough inspection and just slab the newer stuff since they have the "congrats" message on the back and not worry about it.

Just my opinion.
I was BGS all the way, starting to lose faith in them now.....ALOT.

This should help. Beckett posted what cards they required to be sent to JSA and why.

Please note that all in-person signed autographs must be sent through the JSA/BGS Authentication process. This includes any items signed that were not guaranteed by the manufacturer and issued in packs/sets, etc.

In addition, the following "certified" autographed cards/sets MUST also go through the JSA/BGS authentication process:
◾ALL YEARS Topps Rookie Premiere/Topps Photo Shoot/Topps AFLAC Autographs unless machine serial numbered by Topps
◾ ALL YEARS Star Pics Autographs (key players)
◾ ALL YEARS Pro Line Autographs (key players)
◾ ALL YEARS Scoreboard/Classic/Front Row/Little Sun Autographs of Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Shaquille O'Neal & Kobe Bryant
◾ ALL YEARS Upper Deck Buyback Autographs that do not have a copy of the original UDA Certificate
◾ 1994 Upper Deck Alex Rodriquez, Mickey Mantle & Ken Griffey Jr. Autographs
◾ 2001 Fleer Legacy Albert Pujols Autographs
◾ Signature Rookies Autographs with ONLY a sticker for Authenticity
◾ 1993 -94 Hoops Magic/Bird Auto
◾ Fleer Autographs with questionable embossments (1992-93 Scottie Pippin, Tony Gwynn, Steve Young, etc.)
◾ Fleer Autographs missing factory serial numbering (because of the influx of unsigned blank auto cards due to the Fleer bankruptcy sale)
◾ Any key player Fleer/Skybox Autographs that were issued without factory-stamped serial numbers, regardless of embossments (including Skybox Autographics)
◾ Key Non Sport Autos. Some known fakes include:
Jessica Alba - Dark Angel
Angelina Jolie - Tomb Raider 1 & 2
Several - Harry Potter
Chris Farley - Star Pics SNL
Katie Holmes - Batman Begins
Many others at the discretion of BGS

*Besides specific cards on this list, BGS reserves the right to refer ANY autographed card to JSA/BGS service if there are questionable aspects to that particular card.

(12-02-2012, 10:23 PM)creativemunky Wrote: I emailed Charles (NY rep) about this and he gave me the "they never told me anything about rejecting those cards".
So needless to say I am also VERY UPSET about this.
Wow you are doing better than some if you have a rep at BGS who actually cares to help you.
As long as my former rep works for BGS they will receive no business from me. I say former rep as I'm done as a BGS customer because of my reps laziness and smart @$$ attitude.....
[Image: DEAN%20SMITH%20MICHAEL%20JORDAN%20BANNER...qrwcus.jpg]