`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Ebay funny sad story

Ebay funny sad story
I don't think I'll EVER understand some people who sell on eBay, lol. It's amazing how a lot of people believe that they can get more than what their stuff is going for. I offered a seller $170 for and item that they were selling for $190 or best offer. They turned it down only to relist the item two more times. The eventually sold it for $160??? The card was listed at least 2-3 times before I even noticed it. The seller told me that they thought that they could get more for it, LOL (it never occured to them to try and contact me again). Unfortunately this has happen to me a few times.

I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

RE: Ebay funny sad story
I hear ya, some sellers dont know when to call it a day and make a deal. Ive been through it many times as well. Very frustrating. I hate it most when they lie to you though. Tell you they got an offer for $X amount so I say ya at that price you better accept, and then the card sits out there for months. Those situations have usually been nickel and dime type crap. The worst are the people who list a card at 2-5X what the card is really worth and it sits for months and they still arent willing to budge. I understand some people make a living off this but holding excess inventory of cards instead of cash isn't the wisest move IMO.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

greed folks, plain and simple.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

Yeah I guess you can say it's the seller's loss. Karma.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

Ping, you say Greed - i say idiocy.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

(11-26-2012, 05:00 PM)crimedawg47 Wrote: I hear ya, some sellers dont know when to call it a day and make a deal. Ive been through it many times as well. Very frustrating. I hate it most when they lie to you though. Tell you they got an offer for $X amount so I say ya at that price you better accept, and then the card sits out there for months. Those situations have usually been nickel and dime type crap. The worst are the people who list a card at 2-5X what the card is really worth and it sits for months and they still arent willing to budge. I understand some people make a living off this but holding excess inventory of cards instead of cash isn't the wisest move IMO.
It really is sad. I guess we need these type of people out here because everyone can't be a genius, lol.
(11-26-2012, 05:32 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: greed folks, plain and simple.
This is so true. I run across these people all the time. Even my LCS owner thought he could jump on eBay and sell a lot of middle to low end cards close to BV, lol. He's a little older and doesn't use these sites a lot and got a wakeup call once his stuff didn't sell.
(11-26-2012, 05:42 PM)cweiland Wrote: Yeah I guess you can say it's the seller's loss. Karma.
So true so true. The seller tried to say- "I guess we both loose"- WTF. What person in business says foolish things like this? A business person thinks in capitalistic gains. Why would you sell something for less than what you actually can get for it if that is your goal?
(11-26-2012, 06:25 PM)taffster74 Wrote: Ping, you say Greed - i say idiocy.
+1

I really hate dealing with some sellers on ebay for that very reason. I have been trying to purchase the Alonzo Mourning Preferred auto I need and the same two have been on Ebay since I started collecting this set. Seller wants $80 which is FULL value, I got boyj the James Harden #ed/25 and the Hakeem #ed to 15 for less than that. I have talked to both sellers numerous times but for some reason they would rather just keep relisting them. It frustrates me so bad that I decided I will not complete the set unless I can find one for $60

(11-27-2012, 03:04 PM)TBarn291 Wrote: I really hate dealing with some sellers on ebay for that very reason. I have been trying to purchase the Alonzo Mourning Preferred auto I need and the same two have been on Ebay since I started collecting this set. Seller wants $80 which is FULL value, I got boyj the James Harden #ed/25 and the Hakeem #ed to 15 for less than that. I have talked to both sellers numerous times but for some reason they would rather just keep relisting them. It frustrates me so bad that I decided I will not complete the set unless I can find one for $60
Its very frustrating when you see the cards right there for the insane prices. Same thing has happened to me several times with my Gerald Henderson collection. Patience is key. Usually when I have waiting for a card I need to pop I get it for 50% or less than what the nearest BIN is listed at. Sucks waiting but I like saving the money and not overpaying for something just because I want it.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

For the guys that aren't collectors they sometimes have to hold steady on prices. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't as a seller. And yes, sometimes you gotta just cut your losses. So for all of you guys who are collectors and want to just throw numbers out there, that's up to you guys. And the bay now has free listings on certain items, so I wouldn't blame the seller for trying because it's not really costing them anything more to wait a bit.

..but let me ask you this...

(11-26-2012, 03:58 PM)kenarm79 Wrote: They turned it down only to relist the item two more times. The eventually sold it for $160???
...were you the winner of the card? Did you get the card you wanted? You may not have needed it, and that's all good, but you still took the time to put in an offer and then track it...so you obviously had some desire for the card...and you could have had it for just $20 more than what you asked for...now you gotta go and find another one.

I'm not saying that anyone here is wrong, but just as collector's think that the price they want to pay is enough, there may be, just may be, another collector out there that may want it bad enough.

(11-28-2012, 02:22 PM)kstjst Wrote: For the guys that aren't collectors they sometimes have to hold steady on prices. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't as a seller. And yes, sometimes you gotta just cut your losses. So for all of you guys who are collectors and want to just throw numbers out there, that's up to you guys. And the bay now has free listings on certain items, so I wouldn't blame the seller for trying because it's not really costing them anything more to wait a bit.

..but let me ask you this...

...were you the winner of the card? Did you get the card you wanted? You may not have needed it, and that's all good, but you still took the time to put in an offer and then track it...so you obviously had some desire for the card...and you could have had it for just $20 more than what you asked for...now you gotta go and find another one.

I'm not saying that anyone here is wrong, but just as collector's think that the price they want to pay is enough, there may be, just may be, another collector out there that may want it bad enough.
I get what you're saying, but I think that you missed the point. The seller listed the item at least 5 times that I'm aware of. I offer $170, but the seller felt that they could get more. I spoke to the seller via messages at that timeframe. The seller relisted the item but it didn't sell. The seller then relisted it again for $160.

I didn't see the auction until a couple days after it sold. The point being is that if you feel as though you can get more money, then why would you sell it for less than what someone is offering? This doesn't make sense on any planet. I asked the seller why didn't he accept my offer and he told me that he felt that he could get more, but needed to get rid of it quick?????????

At the end of the day, it was his item to do what he wanted with it. Logic just was not apart of the equation. We communicated a handful of times. If he realized that he couldn't sell it for more, he could've gotten in contact with me, instead of settling for even less money.

Yes I wanted the item, but a budget is still a budget. Wanting more for an item, but accepting a lower amount than what someone else offers does not add up, lol.