Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1968 Topps Pete Rose / Grade or not?

1968 Topps Pete Rose / Grade or not?
Hi Folks!

First, please forgive me as I am new here and to card collecting. I apologize in advance if I have put this in the wrong area of the forums. I also thank you in advance for any advice you can lend, as well as for your knowledge.

I recently picked up a 1968 Topps Pete Rose #230. I obtained it from a gentlemen who says he has owned it for at least 20 years. Upon inspection (before purchasing it) I gave it a cursory look over for the usual stuff (centering, edges, corners etc..). However being an amateur I honestly made a colossal mistake by not noticing a small "4" written on the back of the card in black ink. Had I noticed it, I certainly would have passed on buying it.

I wanted to post the card here for you folks to advise me on whether or not I should sending it out for grading. Its not my desire to spend more money on the card grading it, then the card value itself. I only have a general idea of the value really. So if you could lend your opinion as to whether its worth grading, I certainly appreciate it A LOT! =)

Upon my inspection, I note the following flaws: 2 corners have very minor creases/wear but its not terrible (to my amateur eyes). The centering is a bit off and of course the "4" marked in ink on the rear. Other than that, the card looks pretty nice to me. I do understand that graders are very critical and expect my card to be pinged for more flaws than I actually see.

Anyhow, thanks again, here are the images!

[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]
[Image: 5.jpg]
[Image: 6.jpg]
[Image: 7.jpg]
[Image: 8.jpg]

RE: 1968 Topps Pete Rose / Grade or not?
I would say nay, espescially with the pen markings on the other side. It will get a very low grade.

(11-04-2012, 10:11 PM)joshyr Wrote: I would say nay, espescially with the pen markings on the other side. It will get a very low grade.
Thanks for your opinion Joshyr! Any other takers?

I would agree with Joshyr. I have a 58 Topps All-Star Ernie Banks that I sent in to be graded. Card is nice except for an ink stamp that is on the back......came back a "2". Any writing, etc on the card is considered a major flaw.

[Image: 100_2361.jpg]
[Image: 100_2362.jpg]
Always trading for Barry Larkin. Also looking for Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins. 

Will consider trading for other current/past Cincinnati Reds and Bengals.

[Image: Uw7lfAR.jpg]

Gotcha! So no truth to some random dialog I've been reading where some folks say that ink marks will only decrease value by 2 points? Crap! I did pay $30 for the card unfortunately. I think I've taken a hit on it. Probably make that first amateur mistake, my last. Wink
Thank btw 7Whodey for the image. Its interesting to see examples!

(11-05-2012, 07:22 PM)bfair32 Wrote: Gotcha! So no truth to some random dialog I've been reading where some folks say that ink marks will only decrease value by 2 points? Crap! I did pay $30 for the card unfortunately. I think I've taken a hit on it. Probably make that first amateur mistake, my last. Wink
Thank btw 7Whodey for the image. Its interesting to see examples!
Ÿøû do not want to get a card like this graded. Usually it only makes sense for extremely valuable and/or high-grade cards that will grade a 7 or 8. This card is worth as much or more ungraded.

If this is a PC card that you would like to display and protect, even with the ink stamp, a suggestion could be to use on of the "low end" cheap mass grading companies (ie GMA or the like for $2) just to have it in a slab. Some companies have slab only options also. If you were looking to flip or don't want the display option then I wouldn't.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!