`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pack searcher encounter #9

RE: Pack searcher encounter #9
I think that happens to all collectors. I agree with dallas_collecter84 completely.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

theres a guy that shops at the walmart here. he brings a set of scales in, and weighs every pack of cards. i didnt believe the guy who was stocking the cards when he told me. i grab some packs and walked away to finish my shopping. i walked back up to where the sports cards section was, and there he was. scales on the counter and a box of cards in hand. i couldnt believe it.

There are people who do that I even saw it at an LCS. I was on vacation, saw a card shop, went in, and there was a guy weighing packs and the owner didn't care. I left without buying anything, obviously.

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.

(11-04-2012, 07:43 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: There are people who do that I even saw it at an LCS. I was on vacation, saw a card shop, went in, and there was a guy weighing packs and the owner didn't care. I left without buying anything, obviously.
I knew a LCS owner who was doing that. His shop went belly up years ago. Deservedly so.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(11-04-2012, 08:43 PM)zeprock Wrote: I knew a LCS owner who was doing that. His shop went belly up years ago. Deservedly so.
Yeah. That's why I stick to boxes.

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.

Regular buyers should not feel embarrassed. For every person that you feel is judging you for buying 'kids toys' as an adult, there are just as many, or let's say half, who think you're buying them for a kid, or just plain don't notice at all what you have and only want to pay for their stuff and go home.

There probably are people that look at every item and snicker to others or themselves, but I'm the type that doesn't care what they think or say. There are plenty of people who buy cards for their kids, or use them as a reward to students or take them to hospitals. If you happen to hear someone and if it makes you feel any better, turn to them and say "yeah... it's for a kid in the hospital. I thought about buying beer like you, but he's only 6 so..." I bet that will shut them up. Even though my purchases are mainly for myself I do send out extras and cards I don't want to other people (some with kids). I'm lucky that my g/f likes the randomness and surprise of opening packs. Sometimes she nudges me to get some but I have more important stuff to buy and decline. I work at a school and give them to a teacher to pass on to students. Even if you don't. If you just collect for you, so what. It's about as absurd as someone saying "look at this guy and his apples, who eats apples anymore, grow up and buy steak."
[Image: badtime.jpg]

(11-05-2012, 09:21 AM)acevanquish Wrote: Regular buyers should not feel embarrassed. For every person that you feel is judging you for buying 'kids toys' as an adult, there are just as many, or let's say half, who think you're buying them for a kid, or just plain don't notice at all what you have and only want to pay for their stuff and go home.

There probably are people that look at every item and snicker to others or themselves, but I'm the type that doesn't care what they think or say. There are plenty of people who buy cards for their kids, or use them as a reward to students or take them to hospitals. If you happen to hear someone and if it makes you feel any better, turn to them and say "yeah... it's for a kid in the hospital. I thought about buying beer like you, but he's only 6 so..." I bet that will shut them up. Even though my purchases are mainly for myself I do send out extras and cards I don't want to other people (some with kids). I'm lucky that my g/f likes the randomness and surprise of opening packs. Sometimes she nudges me to get some but I have more important stuff to buy and decline. I work at a school and give them to a teacher to pass on to students. Even if you don't. If you just collect for you, so what. It's about as absurd as someone saying "look at this guy and his apples, who eats apples anymore, grow up and buy steak."
Great perspective and good advice.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(11-04-2012, 06:03 PM)dallas_collecter84 Wrote: I feel ya on that one. I am 28 and I will always buy cardboard. My wife's friends try to give her a hard time about my hobby, but she defends my honor. She says, "He doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs so if that is his worst vice, I am doing ok."
That's awesome. I'm lucky that my SO is supportive too, which is another indication that I picked right. Big Grin

I've never encountered a pack searcher, but I don't know what I'd do if it ever happened. It seems like a sad existence, to spend who knows how long weighing packs. I'd probably have an urge to pat them on the head and say, "there, there".

I'm sure people have given me the stink-eye while in line at target with a blaster or two, but I couldn't possibly care less what they think. I have a lot of fun with my cards, and the longer I have some of them, the more I enjoy them. Buying beer and/or ice cream has its place, but I can't get the same feeling from those that I do from cards.

(11-04-2012, 05:43 PM)zeprock Wrote: Yeah, I always feel a little weird standing in line at the checkout with my baseball cards knowing I'm getting the "hairy eyeball" from the guy with the beer standing behind me and the woman with the carton of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in front of me. I'm in my 50s and it must seem weird to them that I'm buying baseball cards. Aren't they supposed to be a kid's toy? Oh well. I'm addicted to cardboard and I guarantee I'll have my baseball cards long after their beer and ice cream is gone.
Exactly. That beer is going to his gut, that ice cream is going to her thighs and your cards are going to your grandkids.

Tell them to mind their own damn business. You won't have to say it twice.

I stopped at a Wally World today in Charlotte,NC and on the bottom shelves all the Pete Rose Boxes were opened