`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another eBay issue

Another eBay issue
I bought a card off eBay. ~$80 BV. It was from a seller that sells very few baseball cards, he sells lots of other stuff though. Perfect rating.

Anyway, the card shows up in between two pieces of irregularly shaped cardboard that were taped together. The card was placed in a penny sleeve inside a toploader in between the cardboard. All is great except the seller didn't put anything on top of the toploader to keep the card from coming out.

Of course, I open the package and find the card hanging out of the sleeve and toploader and stuck to the tape that was there to hold the cardboard together. In addition, the card's top-left corner was exposed with no protection on either side.

I thought maybe I could get the card out and all would be fine. I carefully pull the card away from the tape and a couple of tiny specks of the card stayed stuck to the tape. That is also when I noticed that the top-left corner had been bent a bit.

The seller originally offered to refund the cost of the card if I shipped it back. I followed up by asking that he cover the cost of the card plus original shipping, and he came back saying that I had messed the card up and that he was offering no refund. He didn't budge a bit after that.

I just opened a case. Any idea if I will win this one or not? Thanks.

RE: Another eBay issue
How did you mess the card up???? He shipped it badly! I've practically given up on eBay because of stuff like that. I want the card in the right size penny sleeve and the right size toploader. Tape isn't necessary if the toploader is the right size.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(10-17-2012, 02:14 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: How did you mess the card up???? He shipped it badly! I've practically given up on eBay because of stuff like that. I want the card in the right size penny sleeve and the right size toploader. Tape isn't necessary if the toploader is the right size.
Right, that is pretty much my thought. I was thinking maybe since I tried ever so carefully to pull the card off the tape maybe that could be held against me. That's what the seller is saying... that I was the one to actually mess the card up. That's kinda/sorta true... I pulled it off the tape, but I didn't put it on the tape. I also didn't bend the top-left corner. Here's hoping I win the case.

You will win. The seller will ask for the card back or proof of damage.but ebay will make them refund..they protect the buyer on these issues.
It is the seller's responsibility to get the card to you as described..
Good Luck

You will likely have to eat the cost of return shipping, but should have no trouble getting a refund aside from that. Just make sure you use DC when/if you are asked to return the card. If you do not, the buyer could claim it was not received, then you are going to be out everything.
Collecting Doug Waechter (118/149), Jared Sandberg (107/125), 1994-95 BB Michael Jordan (69/89), 1977-1997 Eddie Murray (877/943), and Bo Jackson BB/FB 1986-1995 (447/486), 2007 Fleer Mini Gold (126/370). Only completing trades with something on my lists.

(10-17-2012, 02:57 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: they protect the seller on these issues.
Don't you mean they protect the buyer on these issues?
(10-17-2012, 03:06 PM)kesscards Wrote: If you do not, the buyer could claim it was not received
Don't you mean the seller could claim it was not received.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

You should be able to get your money back. One thing I recommend is, in the future, if they don't lay out how they package/ship, send a polite message asking just to be safe.

Simply because of threads like these ones on here and elsewhere, when I do (rarely) sell on ebay, I have a line in my item description that says the card will be in a new penny sleeve/top loader/team bag/bubble mailer/USPS 1st class with DC.

(10-17-2012, 03:11 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Don't you mean they protect the buyer on these issues?

Don't you mean the seller could claim it was not received.
Sorry..buyer has a lot more protection..have corrected my post.

(10-17-2012, 01:29 PM)cdillon17 Wrote: I bought a card off eBay. ~$80 BV. It was from a seller that sells very few baseball cards, he sells lots of other stuff though. Perfect rating.

Anyway, the card shows up in between two pieces of irregularly shaped cardboard that were taped together. The card was placed in a penny sleeve inside a toploader in between the cardboard. All is great except the seller didn't put anything on top of the toploader to keep the card from coming out.

Of course, I open the package and find the card hanging out of the sleeve and toploader and stuck to the tape that was there to hold the cardboard together. In addition, the card's top-left corner was exposed with no protection on either side.

I thought maybe I could get the card out and all would be fine. I carefully pull the card away from the tape and a couple of tiny specks of the card stayed stuck to the tape. That is also when I noticed that the top-left corner had been bent a bit.

The seller originally offered to refund the cost of the card if I shipped it back. I followed up by asking that he cover the cost of the card plus original shipping, and he came back saying that I had messed the card up and that he was offering no refund. He didn't budge a bit after that.

I just opened a case. Any idea if I will win this one or not? Thanks.
If you use paypal shipping, the cost is $1.64 & includes d/c. Unless it was beyond damaged paypal requires buyers to return item.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

Wow... that was quick! eBay ruled in my favor and issued me a courtesy refund for the full amount (card cost + original shipping). Seemed only fair. Not sure if the seller loses what I paid him or not.

Now another question - do I leave the seller a negative, a neutral or nothing at all?