Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
BGS VS. BCCG

BGS VS. BCCG
Hey everyone,
My question of the day is why is a card graded BGS 9.5 so much more expensive than a card graded BCCG 10?

Why are the two so different if they are graded by the same company?

And lastly, what would a card graded BCCG 10 typically grade when submitted to BGS?

I'm asking this because a card I want graded BGS 9.5 is about 3x more expensive than one graded BCCG 10, and I don't mind saving money but I want a top-notch card.

Thanks in advance!!
Currently collecting Ravel Santana Bowman Prospect Auto refractors!
Need: Red, Purple, Gold, Orange & Super.

If you see any items listed on eBay or for trade please let me know!!

RE: BGS VS. BCCG
Not sure what a BCCG 10 would grade for as a BGS, all I know is that BCCG is a joke. I have no idea who actually uses that service. Adds nothing to value. Would pay exactly the same amount for a raw card as I would a BCCG 10. The services have completely different grading standards.
Currently collect: NON-SERIAL NUMBERED autos, Topps, and Topps Chrome cards of players in Bengals uniforms.

BCCG is mostly used by secondary-market card companies. If you go to Target/Walmart/KMart/ToysRUs and see a package that guarantees a Graded card, plus X number of packs, you will get a BCCG graded card. BCCG is for MASS amounts of cards being graded at the same time.
I have never seen a BCCG that WASN'T graded a 10. As for what the difference is b/t BCCG and BGS...
BGS will be more strict and probably won't give a 10 to a BCCG 10. Usually, a BCCG 10 will come in about 8.5 to 9.0 BGS.
In general, anything with a BCCG rating was straight out of the pack and straight to Beckett from a secondary dealer to try to make it seem more valuable. They are usually base card rookies or rookie parallels or Draft Pick/Prospect cards of someone that becomes hot in the sport or hobby.
Most collectors don't really care to get a BCCG card unless it is the only one they can get their hands on at the time. They will later upgrade to the raw version or a BGS version.
I have 3 BCCG cards right now and all are Panthers NFL rookie or rookie parallel cards. I have since acquired Raw versions of all 3 cards. The only good thing about the BCCG cards is that they can't be damaged, unless they are in a fire!

EDIT -- There is one other thing that's nice about BCCG graded cards, they look nice when you display them where you know a non-collector is going to be looking at them. Wink

I've had 4 Bccg 10's regraded. One was a 2003 Bowman Chrome Cano that came back a 9.5 and the other's were a 2000 Topps Traded auto Miguel Cabrera that came back a 9 with a 10 auto a 1982 Mattingly minor league that came back a 9 and a 1983 Opeechee Gwynn that came back a 9. I'd say Bccg are worth a little more than raw and a little less than Psa and Bgs holding the most value. If your looking at Bccg only go with a 10 with the understanding that you may really only be getting a 9. If you want a gem mint then do the one stop shop and get a Bgs or Psa and avoid any disappointment.

Thanks everyone for all the posts, you probably saved me a good amount of money. Knowing there is a slim chance it will convert to bgs 9.5 is a little reassuring, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

(10-16-2012, 02:04 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: I have never seen a BCCG that WASN'T graded a 10.
I collect ONLY Nolan Ryan BGS Graded cards. I've seen them lower than BCCG 10. I've seen them all the way down to BCCG 5.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(10-16-2012, 09:00 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I collect ONLY Nolan Ryan BGS Graded cards. I've seen them lower than BCCG 10. I've seen them all the way down to BCCG 5.
Any reason you chose Nolan Ryan to collect? and would you buy a bccg 10 if the price is right? or is it just not worth the risk

(10-16-2012, 10:30 AM)jlandry287 Wrote: Any reason you chose Nolan Ryan to collect? and would you buy a bccg 10 if the price is right? or is it just not worth the risk
I really don't know why I started collecting him at first. I started collecting him back in the Summer of 1990. And I still collect him and ONLY him to this day. I sure am glad that I picked him all those years ago.

No, I wouldn't consider buying a BCCG no matter what. That's just my opinion, though.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Yeah I've only seen BCCG 10's, I only want BGS graded, as BCCG is not worth anything to me. Pulled one out of a Target Graded Card Box, it was a 10, but had a corner with foilboard slightly peeling back and smudges on the surface.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(10-16-2012, 09:00 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I collect ONLY Nolan Ryan BGS Graded cards. I've seen them lower than BCCG 10. I've seen them all the way down to BCCG 5.
I have to assume those were vintage though. The only BCCG's I have ever seen were modern era cards and mostly 2000 or newer.
I am not discounting your reply, just posting what I have personally seen. I wouldn't doubt that some Ryans' from during his playing days would have been sent in to BCCG and graded much lower than 10.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a BCCG card unless it was a 10 and was really cheap compared to the raw mint BV.