`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OT: New MLB Playoff format...thoughts?

OT: New MLB Playoff format...thoughts?
Now that the season is winding down and the playoff picture is shaping up, I'd like to hear what you guys think about the addition of the 2 extra wild card spots. -I haven't analyzed what this year's standings would've looked like under the old format, but it sure seems like there are no close races this year. (Maybe just a coincidence?) Maybe we were spoiled by the exciting finish last year. So far, it looks like the only beneficiaries of the additional wild cards are Oakland and St. Louis (and the races for the final spot aren't that close).

[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

RE: OT: New MLB Playoff format...thoughts?
(10-01-2012, 09:09 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Now that the season is winding down and the playoff picture is shaping up, I'd like to hear what you guys think about the addition of the 2 extra wild card spots. -I haven't analyzed what this year's standings would've looked like under the old format, but it sure seems like there are no close races this year. (Maybe just a coincidence?) Maybe we were spoiled by the exciting finish last year. So far, it looks like the only beneficiaries of the additional wild cards are Oakland and St. Louis (and the races for the final spot aren't that close).
Another change is the lower seed has the first two games of the Divison Series at home followed by three home games at the higher seeds ballpark. Changing from the 2-2-1 format.

Detroit Tigers Set Collector
Justin Verlander Miguel Cabrera Al Kaline Ty Cobb

Yeah, that aspect doesn't necessarily bother me, but I've heard some chirping about it. I think I might've heard that the 2-2-1 format is only being used for this year's playoffs (due to the short notice of implementation). I might be wrong though.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Yankees-Baltimore is a close race. Too close for my comfort as a Yankees fan!
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

I like that the new format puts an emphasis on winning the division
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

About a month ago I was looking at the standings and realized (it did not come to pass) that this nightmare scenario could occur. What would happen if 2 teams tied for the division, and their records tied for the wild card in a three way tie (unlikely but...). My only thought would be the Division one game playoff, then the one game play off for the loser of that game with the team they are tied for in the wild card, then the one game play off wild card game. And what if the two wild card and the division leader loser are all tied...This nightmare of what could happen but probably never will brought to you by me.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(10-01-2012, 09:46 PM)iconms Wrote: I like that the new format puts an emphasis on winning the division
I agree 100 percent ... my only problem is, let's say you win like 95 games but finish behind someone with like 98 wins ... but you still have the second-best record in the entire league ... and you're like 5 or 6 games ahead of the No. 2 wild card ... then some crazy s--t happens like last year to the Tigers, where Verlander got rained out twice in the playoffs.

It comes down to one game and you lose, just doesn't seem like your overall body of work is rewarded for having the second-best record in the entire league.

I really liked the wild card format how it was.

I like the new format too.

Look at the AL...Orioles and A's will play Friday for wild card and winner to play Texas. Second-best record Yankees will meet either White Sox or Tigers (probably Tigers depending on outcome from tonight).

(10-01-2012, 09:28 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: Yankees-Baltimore is a close race. Too close for my comfort as a Yankees fan!
for the past month!

and I love the new format...I love the one game format because as a yankees gan WE NEED THE AL EAST... I don't feel comfortable in a one game playoff. It makes the playoffs more exciting and allows for a "cinderella" team. Also usually AL east is dominate and in years past Boston and Tampa Bay (when the yanks took the East) would be two amazing teams that were better than the leaders of the Central and West...so I like it a lot

[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

I like the fact that winning the Division takes on a bigger role in the playoffs. It seems like in recent years too many Wild Card teams with weaker records have been winning the World Series and that, to me, means it is too easy a schedule on them. I just wish they would have waited for the second Wild Card until next year as they really pushed this through this year after the schedules were set and there really are some nightmare scenarios out there for too many one-game playoffs to get in and funky travel back and forth from East to West coast the same day.

I was flipping back and forth between the Yankees and Orioles games last night and the thing I find ironic is that if the two teams tie, the Yankees would travel to Baltimore for the one game playoff to determine the AL East Division winner as Baltimore had a better divisional win record. Both game's announcers made sure to highlight the fact that the Orioles have actually won more games in Yankee Stadium this year and the Yankees more games at Camden Yards. So, maybe the Orioles don't necessarily want to play that one game playoff. HA!