`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware...more fun with 1993-94 Finest Refractors!

Beware...more fun with 1993-94 Finest Refractors!
Do not fall for this... you can see where this seller took a pic of the MJ from an angle with a reflection...just to make it look kinda of like a refractor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160868099160?ssP...1423.l2649

This is so dumb, I mean this seller is just basically a online fleamarket vendor on ebay when looking through his sales history, but why on Earth would you list this set for a third of it's actual cash value and accept no returns?

If I am wrong and this is a refractor set... someone with the more "kahonies" than me could flip this quickly. He listed it under hockey so it may not get the views it should. I can't report this either, because it really is a matter of opinion by judging pictures.

Why would you have a set worth upwards of $1k+ sitting raw in a plastic box and with a wrapper to display in front? To me this looks like a base set that someone put together from a box break... hence the less protective packaging and the wrapper on display.

RE: Beware...more fun with 1993-94 Finest Refractors!
I think you're reading into this a little too much. People list a lot of stuff on eBay for almost a fraction of what it's worth. The seller has a starting bid of x amount of dollars. Meaning that is the lowest that he's willing to accept. That doesn't mean that he can't get more for it.

The seller also has 100% feedback of over 4,500 transactions. Sellers can put no returns on their listings, but they are still accountable for the products that they offer. If someone buys it and it's not what the seller said it was then the buyer can return the item. The seller has no choice but to refund the buyer because of false representation.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

Listing sounds fishy. The MJ does not appear to be a refractor. But hard to tell due to the angle the picture was taken. Any true collector that had a complete refractor set would know it is very valuable. I would think that they would post more pictures.. also have the MJ in a protector case & not laying on a towel... were the card could get dinged...

I emailed seller asking for more pictures of the top 10 cards & asked to get a better angle, if there were unable to scan the cards.
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

DO YOU KNOW THIS PERSON? IF NOT WHY WOULD YOU GO ON A MESSAGE BOARD TO TELL EVERYONE TO BEWARE OF THIS SELLER, IF YOU ARE NOT DIRECTLY EFFECTED BY THIS LISTING WHY SLANDER THAT PERSON?
[Image: bobbyrain.jpg]

IM BACK SO LETS GET SOME TRADES DONE

I run into this with this set all the time.... It is so annoying. I think the listing is a bad listing.

BUT what does ebay do if you say it is not and then he says it is... or if they go as far as getting it back and saying it was base that you returned... when in fact it was base that you were sent in the first place?

kenarm- I have to disagree on reading too much into this. The listing looks bad and I would bet my entire 93-94 refractor set up to this point that that is a base set. I just got out of my first big ebay dispute because of a card from this set.

The claim was for less than $10 and this seller with 1k+ feedback sends me the base Ewing instead. That seller got completely rude with me because they didn't know what they had and just listed it for the higher priced version of the card that sells on ebay. The same thing has happened here. This seller has no idea what they are selling, OR they are just hoping the buyer has no idea.

Someone trys to flip this and they will be severly disapointed come mailday.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

Listing was updated with below comments. I guess they are all refractors.. Probably cheaper to buying this complete set than chasing one yourself... but that is not as fun! I'd love to pick up this set for my collection.. wish UD did something back then to say they were refractors instead of a glossy finish.. it would make identifying them much easier........

"PICTURES APPEAR TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE A REGULAR CARDS
THIS IS A COMPLETE SET AND YES THEY ALL ARE REFRACTOR CARDS
MORE PICTURES HAVE BEEN ADDED , ANY MORE JUST LET ME KNOW"
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(08-24-2012, 03:48 PM)bobby rain Wrote: DO YOU KNOW THIS PERSON? IF NOT WHY WOULD YOU GO ON A MESSAGE BOARD TO TELL EVERYONE TO BEWARE OF THIS SELLER, IF YOU ARE NOT DIRECTLY EFFECTED BY THIS LISTING WHY SLANDER THAT PERSON?
Love the all caps.... I can say for sure with the extra pics that this is base! Thanks OP for looking out!

[Image: PB290140.jpg]

I can see the difference in my Pippen and Mashburn versions..... which card does his pics look like?

You need a base version next to it to tell the difference. I may ask the seller to provide a picture of them next to a base version.

Now if they don't have any base to compare it with, wouldn't that sound suspcious???

Even if the refractors set was the only purchase this guy has ever made of basketball cards, would you spend even half of their lowest asking price if you weren't sure what that set was???
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....

looks like base to me, i see no rainbow effect at all in the cards. i do see some kind of natural light that may be coming from a window or something that kind of the gives the cards more color or deeper color, which is what finest was suppose to do. but i really do not think these are refractors, if i did, i would buy this lot in a heart beat, take the jordan, and sell off the rest.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(08-24-2012, 03:50 PM)got watcha want Wrote: I run into this with this set all the time.... It is so annoying. I think the listing is a bad listing.

kenarm- I have to disagree on reading too much into this. The listing looks bad and I would bet my entire 93-94 refractor set up to this point that that is a base set. I just got out of my first big ebay dispute because of a card from this set.

Someone trys to flip this and they will be severly disapointed come mailday.
got watcha want, I understand but I think you're emotionally tied to this type of situation, lol. Personally I can't get upset with the seller because it doesn't seem as though he is trying to get over on anyone. I'm not saying that the item is actually a refractor set, but the seller might not know what to look for with the set. I would be on board if the seller sold only or mostly sports cards. He sells all kinds of toys & equipment.

We are mostly invested into this type of stuff so we know what to look for. That's the main reason why soo many people may try to sell a 90-91 Hoops Jordan card for $20-$50 because they are wishing that they have something special. They may ginuinely not know. I've found a lot of good stuff over time that way (some even from LCS's).

I do hope that your situation gets resolved and you are able to complete your set. Good luck

I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

(08-24-2012, 06:54 PM)kenarm79 Wrote: got watcha want, I understand but I think you're emotionally tied to this type of situation, lol. Personally I can't get upset with the seller because it doesn't seem as though he is trying to get over on anyone. I'm not saying that the item is actually a refractor set, but the seller might not know what to look for with the set. I would be on board if the seller sold only or mostly sports cards. He sells all kinds of toys & equipment.

We are mostly invested into this type of stuff so we know what to look for. That's the main reason why soo many people may try to sell a 90-91 Hoops Jordan card for $20-$50 because they are wishing that they have something special. They may ginuinely not know. I've found a lot of good stuff over time that way (some even from LCS's).
I agree with you on most if that, but what about that seller's customer on this item? Even if it is not malicious?

That listing is different than say some non-licensed MJ promo from the 90's with a BIN of $4000.00, or a 90-91 Hoops MJ for $20. Because it is hard to tell the difference in the base and the refractor on these and that kind of a price tag deserves an informed seller. These type if "flea market" sellers should be more informed of the differences in some of these cards, not just look up on ebay what sells the highest and list it that way.

If a buyer recieves that and then they could be out the return shipping for an entire set at the minimum. Not to mention, the worst thing that could happen is the buyer be happy with the purchase and not find out any better until much later when they finally compare, or have someone show them better with the cards in hand, or even when the buyer tries to sell it.

I guess you could blame that on an uninformed buyer, but it is basically who is caught holding the bag with something like this. I have seen it too many times with fakes and altered cards as well.

Thanks for the set project encouragement, kenarm. This will be the first place I show off the completed set when done someday. I am probably emotionally tied to this particular set.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....