`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Retail searcher aftermath & something from my childhood.

Retail searcher aftermath & something from my childhood.
I stopped in Target after not being there for almost a year. I planned to pick a blaster of something since a few of the retail surprises I have seen lately said they were from Target. I wasn't getting anything spectacular from Wal-Mart. Anyway, this is what their card section looked like. A big mess of NOPE!
[Image: 20120817183559778.th.jpg]
I've heard people talk about the down side of retail and have noticed some packs laying behind the shelves or on the floor, but this was the first time I ever saw anything like this. Every single box had every pack pulled and placed back in. Even the chute type boxes that are supposeYud to dispense 1 at a time out of the bottom looked like they were all pulled out and loaded back into the top :| Even the $.99 Triple Play packs that are directed at kids appeared to be searched and put back. Are you really looking that hard for some eyeblack or tattoos?

The same day I was looking for another magazine and found an old favorite book of mine. I saw this in school. Schoolastic or Book-It, something like that. The second I read the description of what it was I asked my mom to order it. I was so excited when it came in the mail. Even at a young age (about 10) I thought it was odd how someone could just publish a bunch of famous peoples address. But I did not waste any time finding Nolan Ryan and sending off a letter.
[Image: 20120818180539446.th.jpg]
I told him about my new dog, getting good grades in school, some of the 'highlights' of my little league career, etc. I mailed a few cards with it too to see if he would sign them. I got my cards back with this letter and a, still to this day I believe, signed black and white photo. That was good enough for me. A letter I then pictured him typing himself on a typewriter, printing the photo, and signing it.
[Image: 20120818180615733.th.jpg]
The auto was originally in blue. It has since faded from years of sitting on the corner of a framed poster of him I still have in my room.
[Image: 20120818180600522.th.jpg]
I also sent some envelopes to Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford without the enthralling details of a 10 year old fans life. Mickey sent back this which I believed far less was actually signed along with a list of auto prices if I wanted to order any. Whitey sent a similar list without any kind of gratis souvenir.
[Image: 20120818180957556.th.jpg]
Here is 1 more picture of the inside of the book. It was printed in '92 I think. I bet many have moved by now and countless heroes of the past have died, but it was entertaining to find something that reminded me of why I like this hobby so much after the scene at Target.
[Image: 20120818180831313.th.jpg]
[Image: badtime.jpg]

RE: Retail searcher aftermath & something from my childhood.
thats cool dude, thanks for sharing!! I've seen the card section @ target messy before but your pic is just crazy!!
[Image: 3x75s.png]
a big shout out to jbel4331 for the AWESOME '75 cards!!
PC:TRIBUTE & HERITAGE & CHROME.GRADED '75 TOPPS & VINTAGE

I had that same Nolan auto after sending him a card to autograph.I wish I could remember what I did with it.Used to be the prize of my collection when I was younger.
Collecting Rickey Henderson, Yeonis Cespedes rookie cards, Rookie cards, Roberto Clemente, Vintage and various other cards and sets..[Image: 142681340_crop_650x440-1.jpg]

Awesome Nolan, I also got one when I mailed him an auto request.
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

That card section is messed up, but at least you have that option. Here in Canada you get pretty much nothing in retail. Walmart may have blasters of the current Topps standard set, and sometimes blasters for about $5 off original price (a blaster of Topps her in Canada goes for $24. The value box with 5 packs and 2 heritage $20) of a few year old regular Topps or, recently, 2010 Chrome. I would love to even try one of these Chase or mixed boxes you guys mention every once in awhile, even if the contents are mostly crap pack type, but don't even have that option. Seriously the next time I find myself in the states I may just binge because I don't have any options retail wise here, and the nearest LCS is getting pretty boring looking at the same boxes over and over again (no singles or the such to search through).
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

I believe I had that same book! I wrote to Ernie Harwell, George Kell, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and Bo Jackson (among others). George and Ernie sent me autos (on the index card I supplied), DJ Jazzy Jeff sent me some pre-printed letter, and I got nothing from Bo.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

It only had baseball players. HOF, manager, and umpire section too. No celebs like Jazzy Jeff. Good luck publishing where umpires love today. Do you think they would get hassled a lot?
[Image: badtime.jpg]

thanks for the great read

(08-18-2012, 09:21 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: That card section is messed up, but at least you have that option. Here in Canada you get pretty much nothing in retail. Walmart may have blasters of the current Topps standard set, and sometimes blasters for about $5 off original price (a blaster of Topps her in Canada goes for $24. The value box with 5 packs and 2 heritage $20) of a few year old regular Topps or, recently, 2010 Chrome. I would love to even try one of these Chase or mixed boxes you guys mention every once in awhile, even if the contents are mostly crap pack type, but don't even have that option. Seriously the next time I find myself in the states I may just binge because I don't have any options retail wise here, and the nearest LCS is getting pretty boring looking at the same boxes over and over again (no singles or the such to search through).
Maybe i could buy a mixed box and mail it to you maybe trade a box for a card or something like that.just an idea what do you think?

[Image: griffeyjr.jpg]

(08-19-2012, 06:43 AM)bman12 Wrote: Maybe i could buy a mixed box and mail it to you maybe trade a box for a card or something like that.just an idea what do you think?
That's a friendly and generous offer, but right now in the process of packing and moving so most of my trade stuff is already packed, that is why it shows nothing available to trade in my org.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!