Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OK, I Get The MJ Thing, But This Is Ridiculous

OK, I Get The MJ Thing, But This Is Ridiculous

Holy crap I can't believe this:

There is a Michael Jordan card on the bay right now, from 1998-99 Fleer Classic or Tradition or whatever it's called, numbered to 61.

And it's up to like $2,025 with just under two days left.

Good lord, people, it's just a parallel card!

It's not graded, it's not signed. Heck, it's even from the "junk era" of the 1990s!

I mean, the whole "ruby" craze cracked me up and everything, but seriously ...

2 grand?

Come on, common sense has to take over at some point, right?

You could buy 2-3 quality MJ AUTOS for that much!

I have a Reggie Miller from the same set, numbered to 61.

Geez, what can I expect from that one? Five, six hundred bucks?

Of course not! I'd be lucky to get $10 for it!

Like, if somebody said they paid $100-150 for that MJ, I'd be like, "OK, it was a tough pull, MJ is always hot, I get it."

But $2,025? With almost two days left?

I swear I'm just going to dig out my old MJs over the weekend, and do like this guy did and claim "Beckett value is $3500" and let the sheeple get into a bidding war over them.

Good lord.

RE: OK, I Get The MJ Thing, But This Is Ridiculous
all of the old school low-numbered stuff is skyrocketing, which means MJ stuff goes cah-razy. Even my other PC guy, Mitch Richmond, is pricey. Can't get anything below the high BV.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

(07-20-2012, 10:28 PM)buckunteer Wrote: all of the old school low-numbered stuff is skyrocketing, which means MJ stuff goes cah-razy. Even my other PC guy, Mitch Richmond, is pricey. Can't get anything below the high BV.
Right, I get that. But $2,000?

At some point someone has to realize this is stupid and not bid like that, right?

Would you rather have that card or 3 of his autos?

Did you see the METAL UNIVERSE card, it sold for over 16K! There are some nice looking Jordan inserts, but in a world where limited inserts are manufactured daily the values can fall as quick as they rise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...true&rt=nc

(07-20-2012, 11:15 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: Did you see the METAL UNIVERSE card, it sold for over 16K! There are some nice looking Jordan inserts, but in a world where limited inserts are manufactured daily the values can fall as quick as they rise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...true&rt=nc
Yeah, I mean, I can understand BGS MJ rookie cards going what they go for, because that's an iconic rookie card, and if you can get it in top condition I totally understand.

But, an insert from a piece of crap product?

Listen, if those people bidding on that one in my OP want to save themselves some real money, they can have my Reggie Miller for like $1,000.

I agree completly. As an MJ collector it baffles me how much cards go for. I saw the Metal Universe auction and thought "How could someone spend 16k on a single card?" and "How does someone have 16k to spend on a single card?"

But then again if you think about it this way the card is 15 years old. There are only 61 copies in the world and of the best player. I think that a lot of these cards are going so high because collectors are hoarding the cards (or so I have heard). When a card like this pops up it goes for so high because some collectors think to themselves they may not see this card for a while....that and if you are an MJ collector you are sort of obsessive (at least I am) and the "gotta get them all" mentality comes into play. I do not have the type of money to bid on cards like this, but I do have the feeling that I need EVERY MJ card....that I can afford.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(07-20-2012, 11:36 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: I agree completly. As an MJ collector it baffles me how much cards go for. I saw the Metal Universe auction and thought "How could someone spend 16k on a single card?" and "How does someone have 16k to spend on a single card?"

But then again if you think about it this way the card is 15 years old. There are only 61 copies in the world and of the best player. I think that a lot of these cards are going so high because collectors are hoarding the cards (or so I have heard). When a card like this pops up it goes for so high because some collectors think to themselves they may not see this card for a while....that and if you are an MJ collector you are sort of obsessive (at least I am) and the "gotta get them all" mentality comes into play. I do not have the type of money to bid on cards like this, but I do have the feeling that I need EVERY MJ card....that I can afford.
Fair enough ... the values are just so out of proportion to any other player of that era (rightfully so, I'm just saying ...)

Like, Reggie Miller, the one I have ... he's a Hall of Famer, granted, no rings and he played for the Pacers, but I swear I wouldn't get $10 for it.

I guess these guys that buy these already have all the RCs and autos, so they go for the completist mentality, like you mentioned.

Damn, and I'm just trying to buy one "low end" auto right now ...

(07-20-2012, 11:56 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Fair enough ... the values are just so out of proportion to any other player of that era (rightfully so, I'm just saying ...)

Like, Reggie Miller, the one I have ... he's a Hall of Famer, granted, no rings and he played for the Pacers, but I swear I wouldn't get $10 for it.

I guess these guys that buy these already have all the RCs and autos, so they go for the completist mentality, like you mentioned.

Damn, and I'm just trying to buy one "low end" auto right now ...
Haha I know how you feel man and completly agree. I collect MJ pretty seriously and have over 3500+ different MJs. I have some very nice cards but I think the most I have paid on a single MJ is $125.I have a MJ card that books for $2500 but someone actually gave me that for a wedding price (At the time it only booked for 500). My one and only MJ auto I pulled....my MJ RC also a gift at my wedding. So I fully understand how you feel. I have wanted to drop some big dollars on MJ cards but man, it is tough....some of the cards I want the most go for 200-300 and that seems like a ton to me. So for someone to spend 2k on a single card, yes that seems rediculous to me. With 2k I could get so many high end, nice MJs that I have wanted since I was a kid. I guess though I have always been more of a quanity rather than quality type of guy. I have a lot of high end cards (see my bucket) but for me to spend $300 or more on a single card when I could get 4-5 nice cards for that same price seems better. Just my thoughts.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

True, true. But hey, those were some seriously sweet wedding gifts. As for the auto, which one did you pull?

I don't see a problem with people paying big money on a single card.
At the end of the day the people buying these cards at those prices obviously have disposable income.
I think its great for the hobby and can only make the thrill of pulling a hi end MJ from a pack, worth the insane amount of money wasted on buying packs/boxes.
Not only that, everytime a card sells for a premium price, it sets the market and raises its demand.
If we didn't have people in the hobby fighting to get those kind of cards and pay big money to get them, then we would see a huge decrease in value of the cards we already own.

Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]