`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoping to open up shop in next couple months

Hoping to open up shop in next couple months
Getting really excited because just got the permission from the wife to open up sports card shop (primarily baseball obviously). Any thoughts/suggestions more than welcome. Smile
1,254 unique Chipper Jones
317 unique Javy Lopez

RE: Hoping to open up shop in next couple months
Is it gonna be a brick & mortar shop or what? If so don't bury yourself in too much wax until a fanbase is established & good luck.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

brick and mortar, yes. do you mean you wouldn't start ordering from topps for a while?
317 unique Javy Lopez

(06-23-2012, 08:12 PM)northflacards Wrote: brick and mortar, yes. do you mean you wouldn't start ordering from topps for a while?
Lol well I wouldn't order too much wax until I'm moving that much in wax a week or every couple weeks. Hopefully you'll have a good location where there are plenty of baseball or sports fans.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

I can give a few helpful hints I have always found to work best. I used to run a shop (not own but run).
1. Try your best to go factory direct. If your focus is baseball then at the very least be direct with Topps. It keep prices lower than secondary market dealers. Many make the mistake of buying from a secondary source to prevent carrying everything. Remember you can sell the stuff your shop doesn't sell well on eBay.
2. Never allow anyone to search or do so yourself. You may see a quick way to make a buck but I assure you the second someone even thinks your shop may be searched you business will go south. My old boss tried that crap and its why I quit. Its also why he went belly up.
3. Always have base cards for set builders from all new product. Carry it until the next new product then get it gone before it starts to build the dust.
4. Never let the same cards sit for more than 10-14 days. By this I mean put some nice autos etc out but keep the cards changing. Make the customers wanna walk in the door at least once a week. Make them think they better get it before its gone. I am not saying it has to move but they need to think it has.
5. If a guy is hot get his cards showing and if he starts to cool get them gone why they still have heat.
6. BUILD a client base. This is very important. Get customers from online, in store, etc. EX. If a Kila Ka'aihue pops up in your store contact me ASAP. Just an example because there are 1000 guys you can deal with right here and help the community and yourself.
7. Use eBay but don't let it hurt your customers. They want a shot as well. Mark cards at fair prices. If it sells $12 on eBay then its $15 in the store. Its card in hand, no risk, and you have over head.
8. Always have want lists and keep them updated. If your customers know your looking out for them they will look out for you. Be willing to help them. If they have a list and your not busy then help them out. If customer X comes in once a week check with him to update his list. There is nothing worse then getting stuck with crap only he wanted. Call him if its a bigger purchase and insure he wants it still. I always keep numbers. Some prefer email to keep the wife out of the loop.
9. Don't go crazy and over spend. Get an idea early of what your customer like.
10. Always have money on hand for the poor soul who walk in desperate to sell.

I could give a million more pointers but I'd be here all night. If you ever need help or advice on a certain topic ask me. I am happy to help.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

thats awesome.....congrats! I wish you the best of luck!
[Image: 3x75s.png]
a big shout out to jbel4331 for the AWESOME '75 cards!!
PC:TRIBUTE & HERITAGE & CHROME.GRADED '75 TOPPS & VINTAGE

(06-23-2012, 08:02 PM)northflacards Wrote: Getting really excited because just got the permission from the wife to open up sports card shop (primarily baseball obviously). Any thoughts/suggestions more than welcome. Smile
By the way, do you have a variety of cards ready to open with? Your stepping away from collecting as much and focusing more on business I assume. Its tough to do both. I only ask this since you had said you wanted to open in a few months.

I have to head out but best of luck.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

(06-23-2012, 08:33 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: By the way, do you have a variety of cards ready to open with? Your stepping away from collecting as much and focusing more on business I assume. Its tough to do both. I only ask this since you had said you wanted to open in a few months.

I have to head out but best of luck.
I have been working on a variety of cards over the last several months hoping I would get an opportunity to start a shop up, yes, and thanks for all of the pointers. All of the advice you have to give is greatly appreciated, and will definitely be used.
(06-23-2012, 08:27 PM)75toppsfan Wrote: thats awesome.....congrats! I wish you the best of luck!
thank you!
317 unique Javy Lopez

Good luck to you!!

I'm in Florida. Where are you looking to open?