Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People ending auctions early....

People ending auctions early....
so, just wondering everyone's opinions.

if someone has an auction listed and a buyer contacts them and makes them a large offer to end the auction early, do you guys consider that shady? In my opinion, I dont see the problem with it, it is the sellers card and if it is an offer cash/trade that they like, why should it be such a bad thing for them to end an auction and take the offer?

Why do people make such a big deal of this? I mean granted, i have only been collecting for five months, so it may just be my newness to the hobby, but what is the point in people flipping out talking to you like a dog for ending an auction early for the right offer?

Always looking to collect Carmelo Anthony patches and autos

Still offering 20 dollar finders fee for anyone who can point me to the T or Y of 07-08 Topps letterman set.

Check My Melo PC on my bucket.
http://photobucket.com/nateadamsdubvmelo

[Image: ZfsEI.png]

RE: People ending auctions early....
i dont think it's shady its a nice loop hole as a seller within the ebay system (save on fees) I have gotten some nice deals on some PC stuff by making some purchases this way ...i know thats not a popular move within the hobby but like you said it's the sellers card and if the seller is happy to sell the card for an offer and save on fee's why not? i soon think ebay will notice the loop hole and put a stop to it somehow? but i sure hope not! For the more wealthier collectors who need a card and have been waiting to grab it for quite some time i could see it as being frusterating but i use this method as a buyer because i simply cannot compete with what i may think the bidding would end at! sometimes sellers take my offers but most of the time they don't.Very rarely will a seller end an auction if were talking percentages.I don't have a problem with it 1 bid but as a bidder i can respect the frustration it may cause
[Image: PennyBannerFinal.gif]

I personally have missed out on many cards this way so I am not a big fan of it. I won't end any of my auctions early now because of it. Also the seller could be losing money if he sells it for an offer that is less than what someone else would pay. I can see both sides, but I would prefer if sellers didn't end their auctions early.

i mean, i've dont it before too. but my point, is why should the seller be cussed for taking an offer on HIS card? i understand the frustration. but cussing the buyer or seller over it seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion?
Always looking to collect Carmelo Anthony patches and autos

Still offering 20 dollar finders fee for anyone who can point me to the T or Y of 07-08 Topps letterman set.

Check My Melo PC on my bucket.
http://photobucket.com/nateadamsdubvmelo

[Image: ZfsEI.png]

I think its shady because you are using Ebay's platform to advertise the card. Ebay is without a doubt the biggest platform out there to sell something worldwide. Illegal nah but unethical yes IMO.

Seen this happen on cards I want and been pissed about it, never done it to a listed card. Makes ya wonder what kinda offers people get on cards. Not too long ago the Gerald Henderson 1/1 NT Logoman auto was listed for about 8 hrs I think it was. I dont think my budget would have taken it but still would have been interested to see what it went for.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

oh no i dont think its shady. any time i really want a card i will contact the seller to see what they say. i hate missing an auction on a card i rarely see that i want. i wouldnt have nearly as many dj or henderson national treasures if it wernt for understanding sellers. i have been turned down and i always won the auction for far less than i offered excwpt for one bad experience. not shady cause the owner can do whatever they want with their possesions imo.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

(06-19-2012, 05:34 PM)quavis Wrote: oh no i dont think its shady. any time i really want a card i will contact the seller to see what they say. i hate missing an auction on a card i rarely see that i want. i wouldnt have nearly as many dj or henderson national treasures if it wernt for understanding sellers. i have been turned down and i always won the auction for far less than i offered excwpt for one bad experience. not shady cause the owner can do whatever they want with their possesions imo.
i have also been turned down befor and won a card for much less a few times! so you never really know as a seller..the biggest difference was like by $25,made a very fair offer and he declined (kind of rudely) and i laughed when i won the card auction style for about $25 less than my offer

[Image: PennyBannerFinal.gif]

same happened to me!lol. but i offered 40 and wone it for 9.99as the only bidder.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

Let's flip the situation where you're the buyer...and you really want that card. Wouldn't you get mad if you're winning it and the seller ends it early?

Technically, the bay frowns upon it. Yes, it's an option to end the auction early, but you're not supposed to use the bay as a means of advertising it, then selling it to someone in a deal outside of the bay. Yes, they'll get their money from the seller in the form of the listing fee, but they're then losing out of the final price fee. To rub salt in the wound, both the users, seller and the one that made an inappropriate offer, used ebay as a communication tool. If the bay wanted to, they could use the message string to find out what happened. It's bad business for them as the potential buyer gets upset and may end up not using the bay again to try to purchase something.

If a buyer puts in an offer on one of my items, I may take them up on it, but I'm doing it via the bay by revising the price to allow the bid to be put in as a buy it now. That way, if a potential buyer checks back, they know how much it sold for.

That way too, the seller and buyer has the support of the bay and the pal if the deal ends up going bad...which can often happen because the end deal was done "off line." the buyer could get screwed by an unscrupulous seller if he/she pays and never gets the item. Or the buyer may get screwed with a charge back after he/she sends the item out. Honestly, the only reason why I put up with the bay's high fees is for the perceived "insurance" that it offers.

(06-19-2012, 05:16 PM)natebuzzadams2 Wrote: i mean, i've dont it before too. but my point, is why should the seller be cussed for taking an offer on HIS card? i understand the frustration. but cussing the buyer or seller over it seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion?

(06-19-2012, 05:23 PM)crimedawg47 Wrote: I think its shady because you are using Ebay's platform to advertise the card.
I don't mind at all because Ebay owns Paypal who still takes a fee for the money transfer. In my opinion Ebay found a great way for themselves to double dip, so I don't care when people work around it.