`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are people against BGS?

Why are people against BGS?
Recently, I have been chatting with some graded card collectors, and they have really been downgrading Beckett for some reason. They seem to only see the negatives. And they only talk about the positives of PSA instead.
I don't get it?? I have mostly had positive experiences with Beckett and don't see much of anything negative. And the same goes for PSA. Both companies have their unique attributes and I support both.

So I can't understand why they are saying things like this...

I prefer psa labels and find important information is easier to read than Beckett ones.

PSA is known for their consistency, that's why they're top.

PSA is by far the most sought after/reputable grading company. The next in line would probably be Beckett, but it is a whole tier below PSA.

If you do research of the sport card market, any card graded with the same grade will always sell higher if it is PSA.

Because PSA is the "most popular choice", that makes it the best!

I mean, half of these comments don't even make sense! It's sad because I really never got a positive response about Beckett.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not against either company at all! I'm just copying others' comments.

Anyway, thank you for reading my story, and any comments you have are welcome!

RE: Why are people against BGS?
(05-22-2012, 03:06 PM)flygonfrank Wrote: Recently, I have been chatting with some graded card collectors, and they have really been downgrading Beckett for some reason. They seem to only see the negatives. And they only talk about the positives of PSA instead.
I don't get it?? I have mostly had positive experiences with Beckett and don't see much of anything negative. And the same goes for PSA. Both companies have their unique attributes and I support both.

So I can't understand why they are saying things like this...

I prefer psa labels and find important information is easier to read than Beckett ones.

PSA is known for their consistency, that's why they're top.

PSA is by far the most sought after/reputable grading company. The next in line would probably be Beckett, but it is a whole tier below PSA.

If you do research of the sport card market, any card graded with the same grade will always sell higher if it is PSA.

Because PSA is the "most popular choice", that makes it the best!

I mean, half of these comments don't even make sense! It's sad because I really never got a positive response about Beckett.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not against either company at all! I'm just copying others' comments.

Anyway, thank you for reading my story, and any comments you have are welcome!
That's funny!! It sounds like you are, as you say, downgrading Beckett as well.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(05-22-2012, 03:32 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: That's funny!! It sounds like you are, as you say, downgrading Beckett as well.
He never said anything to show that he is downgrading Beckett in any way, shape, or form.

To the OP, essentially just ask them what their preferred grading company is and that should answer your question. Whatever is their preference, they are going to say it's the best and try to make it look/sound superior to the others. Go to BGS/PSA/SGC forums and each will say that the respective company is best. It's all personal opinion and NOBODY has been able to support a conclusion that one is better than the other.

I feel your frustration regarding Beckett.

A lot of the negativity has to do with past ownership and a misguided past President who did not understand or seem to care about the hobby. That lack of focus wound up impacting Beckett's customers as manifested in the website delays and malfunctions, the still current lack of a usable registry, OPG inconsistencies, and a whole host of other legitimate complaints.

I know the Beckett graders personally and they're a great group. Unfortunately for them, while PSA and SGC continued to improve on their customer experiences, Beckett as a whole was taking a step back, hurting the company's overall perception, including BGS and BVG.

Ownership recently changed so I can only wish Beckett the best, especially since I'm locked into a few registries with them.

Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

(05-22-2012, 03:59 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: He never said anything to show that he is downgrading Beckett in any way, shape, or form.

To the OP, essentially just ask them what their preferred grading company is and that should answer your question. Whatever is their preference, they are going to say it's the best and try to make it look/sound superior to the others. Go to BGS/PSA/SGC forums and each will say that the respective company is best. It's all personal opinion and NOBODY has been able to support a conclusion that one is better than the other.
Just what did you read?

Oh, it's been proven, you just don't want to accept it.

(05-22-2012, 04:16 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: I know the Beckett graders personally and they're a great group. Unfortunately for them, while PSA and SGC continued to improve on their customer experiences, Beckett as a whole was taking a step back, hurting the company's overall perception, including BGS and BVG.
I have to agree with you on this. Customer experience is great with both PSA and SGC. They have great tracking, and actual people pick up the telephone when you call. And they return emails within 24 hours. If beckett can start duplicating this type of customer experience they can really win over some people.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(05-22-2012, 04:22 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Just what did you read?

Oh, it's been proven, you just don't want to accept it.
I was reading the part where he said he was quoting other people.

I would ask for your "proof", but we all know that's a bunch of non-existent garbage that doesn't go beyond "Because I think so".

(05-22-2012, 05:49 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I would ask for your "proof", but we all know that's a bunch of non-existent garbage that doesn't go beyond "Because I think so".
I would give you proof, but I've already told you that it is proprietary. Even if I decide to release it, I don't have a scanner to post scans. Basically, it's none of your business. Four people know the truth, though.
(05-22-2012, 05:49 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I was reading the part where he said he was quoting other people.
Ok, I'm truly sorry. I didn't read it correctly. I'm wrong in this instance.

(05-22-2012, 04:16 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: I feel your frustration regarding Beckett.

A lot of the negativity has to do with past ownership and a misguided past President who did not understand or seem to care about the hobby. That lack of focus wound up impacting Beckett's customers as manifested in the website delays and malfunctions, the still current lack of a usable registry, OPG inconsistencies, and a whole host of other legitimate complaints.

I know the Beckett graders personally and they're a great group. Unfortunately for them, while PSA and SGC continued to improve on their customer experiences, Beckett as a whole was taking a step back, hurting the company's overall perception, including BGS and BVG.

Ownership recently changed so I can only wish Beckett the best, especially since I'm locked into a few registries with them.
I'm pretty curious, do you have a bucket with your PC? I'm under the impression that it's a great one to look at.

(05-22-2012, 06:16 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I'm pretty curious, do you have a bucket with your PC? I'm under the impression that it's a great one to look at.
He's got the velenzualen cards if I remember correctly. Would love to start working on that set but I need to finish 51 bowman first and stop my hoarding of 90's basketball inserts.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]