`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missed call from BGS today

Missed call from BGS today
Had a missed call, called it back and it was BGS. Seems weird because I haven't subbed by myself since 2009, and the last submissions were through Jeff in 2010. After a short wait, I was connected with someone which blew my mind, when I graded there was no chance of calling and getting connected. I told them I got a call from them, he explained to me what BGS was, to which I told him I haven't submitted cards in over two years. He says they are calling past customers to offer them a grading deal.

I said when I submitted cards there was no chance of being connected to someone to talk to them like I had just been. He said something about submitting cards that lead me to believe you couldn't do it online anymore. I asked him if you can still submit orders online, he said that part of the website is down and the IT department is working on it.

I asked about when the registry will it be up, he said they're working on it. I told him they've been working on it for several years. I also told him I found it amazing they couldn't answer the phones a few years ago because they were so busy, but now they have time to call past customers to offer grading deals.

I let him know I had a hard time justifying submitting cards to a company with problems such as this and he could pass that message on. He still wanted to email me the information for the grading deal so I said fine.

Well, back to my little hole for a few more years.

RE: Missed call from BGS today
I only started submitted a little over a year ago I think, and have been contacted by phone for deals.
They get pretty aggressive with their calling. I expressed some minor interest in a Frequent Submitter deal and the woman e-mailing me said she would call to set things up. I wasn't really expecting the call to be at 7:05am, that was a little... not so great.

I expressed minor interest in the same deal again fairly recently, but with no date in mind or anything solid whatsoever, and Im receiving calls yet again to hurry and set things up, and give them a $25 deposit on the deal.

From my minor experiences with them on the phone, their phone system is absolutely horrid, constantly chopping in and out and a little bit of static. Causing me to have to get them to repeat basically every second sentence because they cut out and I missed some vital words.

I'm also not keen that when using their deal (which apparently you have to get on the phone for), I have to fill out the forms by hand. Feels like I'm being punished for accepting their offer. Certainly makes it a lot more inconvenient.

I've never been to Beckett's physical location in Dallas but I have this mental image of a very small operation run on a shoestring budget. I say this because of the issues mentioned above, with all of the business done online today and with a company like Beckett that relies on the internet for their business it seems strange that customer service and IT are such issues.

I have been buying Beckett magazines and now the online price guide for years. I have also sent in many packages of cards for grading and for some reason I will continue to do so....hey maybe that is why they are not overly concerned with these issues...because people like me continue using their services even though it doesn't appear that customer service for the collector is too important.

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

(05-10-2012, 08:39 AM)dmasci Wrote: I've never been to Beckett's physical location in Dallas but I have this mental image of a very small operation run on a shoestring budget. I say this because of the issues mentioned above, with all of the business done online today and with a company like Beckett that relies on the internet for their business it seems strange that customer service and IT are such issues.

I have been buying Beckett magazines and now the online price guide for years. I have also sent in many packages of cards for grading and for some reason I will continue to do so....hey maybe that is why they are not overly concerned with these issues...because people like me continue using their services even though it doesn't appear that customer service for the collector is too important.
I've been to Beckett HQ's lots of times. It's very nice and very impressive. It even has a theater for seminars.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I'll be in Dallas next month. I'd love to walk in and be like "Hi I post on your message board, subscribe to your price guides, and send in grading orders at random. Can I have a tour?"

Anyone know how quickly Dallas PD responds to get rid of kooky collectors wanting tours?
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(05-10-2012, 10:35 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I've been to Beckett HQ's lots of times. It's very nice and very impressive. It even has a theater for seminars.
I'm not surprised really....what I was describing was the perception that I get from the way they treat customer service. My impression is that they excel at marketing and sales...but once they have your money the services seem to not be quite as stellar. Anyway, this is just my opinion based on my own experience as well as many of the comments I read here.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

Quite unnoticed, Beckett underwent an ownership change recently and the worthless ex-President Brian Gulledge has been booted out. I'm hoping this will change the way they've operated in the past, including the tactless phone solicitations.

Similar grading deal calls I've received in the past came from an outsourced call center in the Phillipines and some gal following a script. She had all the credibility of every annoying telemarketer I've ever encountered.

I've also received email solicitations from a Beckett salesman whose name escapes me, but he was based in NY, more credible about the hobby, and much better to deal with, since I was able to negotiate a cost and turnaround time with him.

I have the benefit of being in Dallas and the ability to personally drop off and pick up cards at the Beckett offices. I've gotten to know the grading team fairly well and all are extremely capable and knowledgeable. Unfortunately the past parent company and President came in without knowledge of the hobby and their misguided direction really hurt the company and its customers.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

(05-14-2012, 01:52 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: Quite unnoticed, Beckett underwent an ownership change recently and the worthless ex-President Brian Gulledge has been booted out. I'm hoping this will change the way they've operated in the past, including the tactless phone solicitations.

Similar grading deal calls I've received in the past came from an outsourced call center in the Phillipines and some gal following a script. She had all the credibility of every annoying telemarketer I've ever encountered.

I've also received email solicitations from a Beckett salesman whose name escapes me, but he was based in NY, more credible about the hobby, and much better to deal with, since I was able to negotiate a cost and turnaround time with him.

I have the benefit of being in Dallas and the ability to personally drop off and pick up cards at the Beckett offices. I've gotten to know the grading team fairly well and all are extremely capable and knowledgeable. Unfortunately the past parent company and President came in without knowledge of the hobby and their misguided direction really hurt the company and its customers.
I've never received any phone calls.

I too live in the Dallas area, so my dad driving me to Beckett HQ's is not a problem. It sure makes it easier to drop off the cards in-person and not have to worry if my cards made it or not. I'll have to submit again; it's been a couple of years since my last submission.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!