`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
What are you doing Beckett?
04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I notice the visual changes to the trade applet and now Organize...
Is this really necessary??? Why are you changing things that are already working... we are told time and time again that matchmaker and additional feedback options are being worked on yet time is being wasted on visuals?!?

By the way, the new org is not working properly, the colors are nicer but now I have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of my folder list to see any collection contents...?

P.S. If you are not Beckett staff, please don't preach on my thread, thanks.

[Image: TPnewbanner.png]
MARIO LEMIEUX COLLECTION = 1263 listed cards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2012, 02:37 PM
RE: What are you doing Beckett?
Do you really think you will get an answer lol......

[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket
04-20-2012, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2012 02:44 PM by jacobystealshome.)
just talked to banksy (cbankston). said to give it 15 minutes...stylesheet issues and such. theyre working on it

i agree with the scrolling issue...the collection name needs to be smaller, near the cards, and collection stats need to be less vertical. that's already been passed along to lfisher, the gui guy
update:

calculate buttons are back, but can only search "this collection" (and that search doesnt work)

Sawyer MacMillan Blue: coming october 20th, a few blocks away from the Cathedral of Baseball
04-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Hello,

I'd like to point out that style changes are made by a different person than an actual developer. It is not possible for the person who makes style changes to go off and build matchmaker or improve 99% functionality you'd like to see improved.

This is why the style is changing but features you are looking for to be fixed are not being fixed.

The complaints that Beckett is spending all their time changing styles and not fixing things are invalid. These are 2 different jobs. I can understand though, that when a user sees some visual change they may think we just rewrote a lot of stuff. The truth is though, that it is possible that the programming code didn't change at all.

There was a bug in our last push that caused style files to not get updated, which is causing the vertical space issue I think you are talking about. Please check if it is fixed now. You may want to try holding down ctrl + f5, as it will clear your local cache.

As for fixing the random bugs you guys are experiencing and want fixed, but don't think we are focusing on them.... I can tell you I have been addressing random bugs to try to keep you guys happy. I've made many improvements and each time, I don't hear 'oh hey organize is faster' or 'wow Beckett finally fixed the bug that we've been complaining about for a year now'.

As for matchmaker, there's about 192481024 things I have to do in the system to prepare the system to scale correctly within the number of items in Organize. A lot of this work requires that I fix a lot of problems in organize/trade that currently exist. Some of the stuff I will have to change currently works.

I have been working in my free time with LFisher on the organize/trade system changes that are needed, because there is not enough time in my work day. I've complained enough to get it pushed higher in priority. It should be top in priority soon enough. There may be a few growing pains when we release the organize/trade updates, but they will be worth it.

I think organize/trade has the biggest potential for growth in our system. As it stands today, what has been implemented is a joke. I feel that we have just recently got the right people to agree with this statement.
04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Wow, the fact that an actual, real life Beckett Developer replied to me has me a bit astounded!

IN A GOOD WAY! What a breath of fresh air... thank you so much!
I appreciate you clearing up my concerns about the visual styles / matchmaker, etc.

I am a web developer/graphic designer myself and I know it is tricky stuff, especially when dealing with sizable input. Was really looking for a more realistic time frame for the things we are all looking forward to and I think you cleared it up as best as you could. Thanks for not giving me a ghost time or an unrealistic estimate.

Again, I appreciate your response to a great extent.
Hopefully we get the new goodies and feedback is more optional soon.

[Image: TPnewbanner.png]
MARIO LEMIEUX COLLECTION = 1263 listed cards
04-21-2012, 10:23 AM
(04-20-2012 03:16 PM)cbankston Wrote:  Hello,

I'd like to point out that style changes are made by a different person than an actual developer. It is not possible for the person who makes style changes to go off and build matchmaker or improve 99% functionality you'd like to see improved.

This is why the style is changing but features you are looking for to be fixed are not being fixed.

The complaints that Beckett is spending all their time changing styles and not fixing things are invalid. These are 2 different jobs. I can understand though, that when a user sees some visual change they may think we just rewrote a lot of stuff. The truth is though, that it is possible that the programming code didn't change at all.

There was a bug in our last push that caused style files to not get updated, which is causing the vertical space issue I think you are talking about. Please check if it is fixed now. You may want to try holding down ctrl + f5, as it will clear your local cache.

As for fixing the random bugs you guys are experiencing and want fixed, but don't think we are focusing on them.... I can tell you I have been addressing random bugs to try to keep you guys happy. I've made many improvements and each time, I don't hear 'oh hey organize is faster' or 'wow Beckett finally fixed the bug that we've been complaining about for a year now'.

As for matchmaker, there's about 192481024 things I have to do in the system to prepare the system to scale correctly within the number of items in Organize. A lot of this work requires that I fix a lot of problems in organize/trade that currently exist. Some of the stuff I will have to change currently works.

I have been working in my free time with LFisher on the organize/trade system changes that are needed, because there is not enough time in my work day. I've complained enough to get it pushed higher in priority. It should be top in priority soon enough. There may be a few growing pains when we release the organize/trade updates, but they will be worth it.

I think organize/trade has the biggest potential for growth in our system. As it stands today, what has been implemented is a joke. I feel that we have just recently got the right people to agree with this statement.

Unfortunately many of the fixes go unnoticed because they are subtle and not easily recognized.

We notice bugs like the error messages that are in error, Starred items in searches not rising to the top when trading (This would relieve the servers tremendously since you would only have to display one page, not 37 or 50 pages). No "trade for" header in organize. These things are a few of the glaring errors that everybody notices and it seems that nothing has been done to remedy them.

Ray

04-21-2012, 11:58 AM
I'd be happy to look into/fix any error messages that you are receiving. Please post them in this help forum and I will let you know what's up.

As for adding new functionality, I'm not able to do this because I am not the product owner. I can take your suggestion and get them approved by the product owner, and if it's a small enough enhancement I may fix them in my free time instead of making them stand in line behind everything else that's been approved. Please post these suggestions in the suggestion forums.

Adding/improving functionality to the existing organize/trade systems is lowest priority right now because of the changes LFisher and I have been working on. Our plan has been approved and we have started building it in our free time. We've managed to get these changes into the priority pipeline and they will be the top priority very soon.
04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks Cbankston for letting us know what's going on behind the scenes! I've been just as frustrated with the new site as the next guy and appreciate you taking the time to communicate with us. And thank you for working to make the trading issues a top priority with the powers that be (especially the hours you put in on your own time!). I recently did not renew my yearly Football online price guide because I thought it was ridiculous for me to pay almost $30 more for a site that didn't function as well as the old one in terms of trading and I also will not renew my baseball OPG either. I sent customer service an email telling them the same thing and asking them to forward it to the proper people. I feel that's the only way to "cast my vote" so to speak for a better trade system.

Football Set Builder.
Topps Chrome, Upper Deck, Ultra and Score.
04-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi:

I was wondering if the new developer could please explain how you came to be helping to fix the problems on Beckett. Did Beckett finally fire and hire people to fix issues that have been left for so long? Is Beckett finally taking are concerns seriously and/or were all the problems with the previous technicians? I'm very curious why all the sudden things are changing again and whether we can expect (finally) to have things chance for the better.

Also, I read that you will be doing things are your free time? Why? Is Beckett unwilling to pay you? Does Beckett employ staff to deal with technical issues that customers have? Why should you have to do this on your free time? Can't Beckett afford to pay someone so it gets done?

I really appreciate that it sounds like we have someone that is finally going to fix some of the problems. But I would like to know why things are happening the way they are and whether or not these are problems with technicians or Beckett management.

Thank you.

Jim

Jim

Collect - Patrick Roy, Eric Lindros, Jonathon Toews, Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, Sidney Crosby, Nikoli Kulemin, Jordan Staal, Carey Price, Luke Schenn, Brayden Schenn.

CHECK OUT MY JERSEY CARD COLLECTION TO SEE IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU NEED AND WANT TO TRADE FOR
04-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Hello,

I started at Beckett in October 2010 and was brought on as the Marketplace lead developer. There was another lead developer at the time and he was responsible for Organize, Trade and the rest of the site. There was also another developer who focused the front end work.

There was a deadline set for the first of the year for all of the projects. At some point before Christmas, they realized marketplace was not going to make the launch date and I was refocused to help prepare Organize/trade for launch. We launched at the beginning of February and I continued to fix bugs in the system. The lead developer put in his notice not long after the release and we prepared to get the system to a point where it was considered to be 'stable'. Once we reached that point I moved back to marketplace development and have been there ever since. We hired 2 more developers after a month or two to help with the marketplace development. Lfisher was also brought on around this time.

We recently lost one of the back end developers and also our front end developer. LFisher has stepped up and is doing the frontend development now. I believe he's been working on making things look consistent across the site in his own free time.

We are still winding down marketplace development and our focus will soon change to organize and trade. I've been looking forward to this change for a long time, as there is tremendous room for improvement (both performance and usability).

The Beckett website receives a decent amount of traffic; more so than most web sites I could work on in my free time. Because of this, the problems are more challenging to solve. During my 'work' hours, I fix bugs that users are screaming about, answer questions/emails about functionality and try to focus on the prioritized items list. I have been buried with work since I started, sometimes it is challenging but 99% of it is grunt work that a jr. developer could do if I handed him the plans. In my free time, I like to work on the challenging problems so that I can pave the way to a better future. I feel the time I'm spending is not wasted because I get to add all this to my resume.

I cannot answer why things are going the way that they are, because I am not able to see everything going on. Everyone probably has their own answer for this one. For me, there are too many problems to handle right now so I have to pick and choose my battles. For starters, there are missing processes in the development workflow. For big picture type stuff, there are no incentives to improve your skill set or to go above and beyond to get things done/make things better. No reviews + no career paths = no improvement

Things are changing a lot internally and supposedly will get better... but they told you all that for the longest time until you stopped believing it. I often feel like I am falling for the same trick. Only time can tell.