`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'86 Jordan Fleer set

'86 Jordan Fleer set
I know someone that's selling a 1986-87 Fleer set (complete with stickers). I haven't seen them yet but he told me that they are in excellent condition. I'm going to check them out later this week. If the condition is actually excellent, How much do you all think is a resonable price to pick this set up at? Opinions needed... thanks
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

RE: '86 Jordan Fleer set
I think the real question is...how do you know the cards, specifically the MJ, is real?

(04-09-2012, 03:29 PM)phxsuns1521 Wrote: I think the real question is...how do you know the cards, specifically the MJ, is real?
He's been collecting for decades. He has a lot of other older sets (ie. Kareem rookie set). Most of his stuff is from Baseball. All of the people that have seen his stuff has told me that it's authentic. I have other 86 Fleer cards to bounce it off of, plus I know what to look for. My concern isn't if it's real, it's what should I buy it for?

Be carefull. Another person on here reported the set they bought had the Jordan altered..which seems to be common.

With that set it really comes down to condition. Just make sure you know what to look for in terms of condition and not just if the card is fake. Centering front and back are big along with the obvious corners, edges, and print spots. The Jordan is the big card in the set, but there are plenty others that if in top condition can command a pretty good premium when graded. There was an article several months ago about a collector that put together a BGS graded set and he specifically stated which common cards were extremely tough to find in top condition and that when graded in top condition those commons brought some pretty good money. So don't just focus on the Jordan (though you definitely need to spend time examining it).
As far as price, it really comes down to condition of each card. Excluding the Jordan (which has a HUGE price swing based on condition) I would pay $150-$250 for the set in NM condition (and given only a short time to check out some key cards). If the key cards were in Mint condition I would obviously pay more, and if every card I looked at throughout the set looked to be in Mint condition that I would definitely pay even more. I hope that gives you a good starting point.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(04-09-2012, 04:09 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: Be carefull. Another person on here reported the set they bought had the Jordan altered..which seems to be common.
This is definately true.
(04-09-2012, 05:40 PM)djohn Wrote: With that set it really comes down to condition. Just make sure you know what to look for in terms of condition and not just if the card is fake. Centering front and back are big along with the obvious corners, edges, and print spots. The Jordan is the big card in the set, but there are plenty others that if in top condition can command a pretty good premium when graded. There was an article several months ago about a collector that put together a BGS graded set and he specifically stated which common cards were extremely tough to find in top condition and that when graded in top condition those commons brought some pretty good money. So don't just focus on the Jordan (though you definitely need to spend time examining it).
As far as price, it really comes down to condition of each card. Excluding the Jordan (which has a HUGE price swing based on condition) I would pay $150-$250 for the set in NM condition (and given only a short time to check out some key cards). If the key cards were in Mint condition I would obviously pay more, and if every card I looked at throughout the set looked to be in Mint condition that I would definitely pay even more. I hope that gives you a good starting point.
You make some very good points. I've noticed that the set sells around that price minus the Jordan's and stickers. I don't think that he will sell the set that low. My main concerns are with the Jordan's as always. If the Jordan's are better than avertised, then I would be willing to spend good money for them.

If you do buy the set, send the MJ in to get graded... if it comes back altered or fake, make sure you can return the set. or get a discount.. see if the seller is willing to do that... if he is, ask for it in writing... & both of you sign it & put your addresses & phone numbers..

I recommend after looking at the obvious signs for a fake MJ... compare the size of the card with a common.. if it is not the exact same size, the edges might of been shaved..

If set is in good condition & MJ appears to be real & not altered, then I'd say $500-1,000 would be a fair price. The MJ alone is almost half the actual cost of the set.
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*