`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened to beckett forums?

What happened to beckett forums?
I remember when these forums used to be busy and fun to participate in, now its a ghost town. Maybe its time for beckett to make some changes to bring people back. This used to be one of my favorite sites. What happened beckett?

RE: What happened to beckett forums?
yep! prices and poor customer service has done it in!
[Image: bannernew.jpg]

See my bucket organized by sport and then by player or team: http://s174.photobucket.com/user/thump17er/library/Basketball%20Scans?sort=6&page=1

(02-11-2012, 08:30 PM)mrhurtado17 Wrote: yep! prices and poor customer service has done it in!
I like the forums being free, but the OPG's subscriptions have gone up too much. This is probably the last year I will pay for my Basketball OPG. I just renewed my subscription in DEC. A lot of people I've talked to do not like Beckett, nor their BV pricing.. cards are worth what ever people are willing to pay/trade for them..

I wish there would be more people using Beckett. It is so easy to use & find other collectors that have cards you need or want using the "organization".. There are only a few downfalls that I don't like when using it.. the main one is uploading multi cards (i.e. sets haves/wants).. takes way too long. Also, I always seem to have loading problems when trying to search within my organization.. I know it's not my laptop, because I have the best software/hardwear/anti-virus programs you can get. Also have pretty fast/reliable internet speed that I borrow from my neighbors, since I turned off my house phone, cable, and internet to save money.. no need for a house phone when I got a cell.. don't watch too much tv & I can borrow the internet.. or go to Starbucks for free internet.

Beckett should market their website to get more collectors to return or new collectors to sign up & start communicating/trading/buying from Beckett.

There is so much money tied up in the Beckett community compared to other sites that are free... I would like to see a report on what sellers off Beckett Media has for total inventory of cards up for sell & how much they make.. that would be interesting to compare to other sites. It would help collectors decide what trusted sellers to buy from...

Some of my opinion was off original topic, but these are my thoughts as I write them.

I am not a big trader. I come to Beckett to read other collector's threads/posts, utilize the "my organization", OPG, and check out other collectors card breaks.. I not a huge fan of youtube online wax breaks, especially when the seller busts the boxes open for the buyer.. that is NOT FUN!
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(02-11-2012, 08:42 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: I like the forums being free, but the OPG's subscriptions have gone up too much. This is probably the last year I will pay for my Basketball OPG. I just renewed my subscription in DEC. A lot of people I've talked to do not like Beckett, nor their BV pricing.. cards are worth what ever people are willing to pay/trade for them..

I wish there would be more people using Beckett. It is so easy to use & find other collectors that have cards you need or want using the "organization".. There are only a few downfalls that I don't like when using it.. the main one is uploading multi cards (i.e. sets haves/wants).. takes way too long. Also, I always seem to have loading problems when trying to search within my organization.. I know it's not my laptop, because I have the best software/hardwear/anti-virus programs you can get. Also have pretty fast/reliable internet speed that I borrow from my neighbors, since I turned off my house phone, cable, and internet to save money.. no need for a house phone when I got a cell.. don't watch too much tv & I can borrow the internet.. or go to Starbucks for free internet.

Beckett should market their website to get more collectors to return or new collectors to sign up & start communicating/trading/buying from Beckett.

There is so much money tied up in the Beckett community compared to other sites that are free... I would like to see a report on what sellers off Beckett Media has for total inventory of cards up for sell & how much they make.. that would be interesting to compare to other sites. It would help collectors decide what trusted sellers to buy from...

Some of my opinion was off original topic, but these are my thoughts as I write them.

I am not a big trader. I come to Beckett to read other collector's threads/posts, utilize the "my organization", OPG, and check out other collectors card breaks.. I not a huge fan of youtube online wax breaks, especially when the seller busts the boxes open for the buyer.. that is NOT FUN!
It seems to me that another site is blowing them out of the water, just saying.

(02-11-2012, 08:49 PM)southpaugh2002 Wrote: It seems to me that another site is blowing them out of the water, just saying.
I hate to say it but I don't get as many trades on here anymore because people don't have what I am looking for or if they do have something there asking for something that more in value. The whole Mint to Near Mint issue is getting bad as I have seen traders I started a trade with there cards were near Mint then next thing you know they bump them up to mint to try and get the little extra value. I know alot of the other sites are doing better as you can see it in the boards. I think when they started charging for the org that killed everything. I have not tried to trade anywhere else yet but I think I am going to start tring soon. I think right after I get my whole org on a excel spread sheet counting the ones I am working on adding I will just use that and go to other sites with it and start trading. The other thing that is bad here that no other trade site cares about is selling cards on the Boards. I guess its almost time to be the new guy somewhere else.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

(02-11-2012, 09:08 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: I think when they started charging for the org that killed everything. I guess its almost time to be the new guy somewhere else.
I completely agree with what you are saying about charging for access to the Organize features of the website. Especially since we are doing all the work to build and maintain our lists and have had to deal with numerous bugs over the years. The other main gripe I have is with the basketball OPG, which I feel lags way behind current values. I had a monthly subscription up until a couple weeks ago and there were sales all over eBay for 90's inserts that were WAY above book value and not reflected in the guides. They market the service as 'real-time pricing' but it is not too far removed from the timing of the old monthly magazines they used to publish. I would be interested to see how they are handling the Jeremy Lin mania happening now. The problem with just about any collectors' website is that you are dealing with people that are completely convinced that everything they have is valuable and nothing anybody else has is worth as much as they think. So while a price guide can be a helpful point of reference, it's rarely an integral part in buying or selling cards.

(02-11-2012, 09:59 PM)themoz1 Wrote: The problem with just about any collectors' website is that you are dealing with people that are completely convinced that everything they have is valuable and nothing anybody else has is worth as much as they think.
+1
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

First off, the site is too complicated for new users.
AND......
The rule of having your cards listed in your organize sends people away. That same rule makes it more like a mandatory organize charge if you want to use the organize correctly and list all that you have to trade. There are your reasons for the recent loss of traffic on these boards. Beckett can keep the fees for the orgainize fuction, they just need to change the forum rules.

It is simple for trader X to say no to this site and get the exact same service from another site for free and that other site is actually less complicated to use.

There are various degrees of memberships available for purchase on those other forums and more features are available with the more money you spend. PLUS, trader X doesn't have to add cards to their photobucket as well as thier organize in order to trade. This site is too time consuming and frustrating because of the frequent problems with the organize and trade functions, why would I pay for that?......... Most of us here have stayed out of habit, because of built feedback, OR you are a new trader to this site.

I stay because what is left of the community is pretty cool to chat with on the boards. The overall vibe on this forum is better than any other I have traded on. You just don't see the same volume of traffic as you do elsewhere or even what was seen here in the past.

The point that has been made about the "Price Guide" being obsolete, kind of drives all of this home. Beckett will struggle with the lost revenue as information technolgy makes thier product old market news instead of "THE ONLY MARKET NEWS" to follow. The attempt to recoupe them with the fees on this site will backfire eventually and things will change for the better eventually. Beckett has done this before in the past with similiar fees driving traffic away, it didn't last and neither will this.

Just hang in there guys, branch out but don't leave!!!
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

(02-11-2012, 11:22 PM)got watcha want Wrote: First off, the site is too complicated for new users.
AND......
The rule of having your cards listed in your organize sends people away. That same rule makes it more like a mandatory organize charge if you want to use the organize correctly and list all that you have to trade. There are your reasons for the recent loss of traffic on these boards. Beckett can keep the fees for the orgainize fuction, they just need to change the forum rules.

It is simple for trader X to say no to this site and get the exact same service from another site for free and that other site is actually less complicated to use.

There are various degrees of memberships available for purchase on those other forums and more features are available with the more money you spend. PLUS, trader X doesn't have to add cards to their photobucket as well as thier organize in order to trade. This site is too time consuming and frustrating because of the frequent problems with the organize and trade functions, why would I pay for that?......... Most of us here have stayed out of habit, because of built feedback, OR you are a new trader to this site.

I stay because what is left of the community is pretty cool to chat with on the boards. The overall vibe on this forum is better than any other I have traded on. You just don't see the same volume of traffic as you do elsewhere or even what was seen here in the past.

The point that has been made about the "Price Guide" being obsolete, kind of drives all of this home. Beckett will stuggle with the lost revenue as information technolgy makes thier product old market news intead "THE ONLY MARKET NEWS" to follow. The attempt to recoupe them with the fees on this site will backfire eventually and things will change for the better eventually. Beckett has done this before in the past with similiar fees driving traffic away, it didn't last and neither will this.

Just hang in there guys, branch out but don't leave!!!
Well spoken, you sounded like a college professor. One good thing about this site is as far as trading goes, you must have your cards marked for trade meaning that when you make a trade, the trade is documented. Paying to mark your cards for trade is a big concern of mine, buying a opg is fine because thats almost the in store price and theopg is updated daily. I really do like chatting with members on this site but if beckett doesnt do something about this then they lost alot of revenue (BECKETT TAKE NOTE)!

(02-11-2012, 11:41 PM)southpaugh2002 Wrote: Paying to mark your cards for trade is a big concern of mine, buying a opg is fine because thats almost the in store price and theopg is updated daily. I really do like chatting with members on this site but if beckett doesnt do something about this then they lost alot of revenue (BECKETT TAKE NOTE)!
I have to respectfully disagree with your idea about the OPG being updated daily. When I had a subscription during the month of January, many of the cards I looked up had no reported sales since around Thanksgiving and that includes "hot" singles such as '97-'98 Precious Metal Gems that have been very active for at least the last 6 months. Another example would be the BIG difference in prices of older Kobe inserts since the season started. Based on the delay between market activity and reported prices, you are just better off buying a Basketball Cards Plus every few months or doing your own research for any cards you are looking to buy, sell or trade.