`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
BVG vs PSA???

BVG vs PSA???
I have a question/questions, I just didn't know where else to post it...How much dif or easier going are the grades from BVG then BGS? I know that a BGS 9/9.5 is more then likely going to be a much nicer card then lets say a PSA 10, and yes I know that there could sometimes be exceptions. So I guess my main question here is with all things being equal, if that is possible, what would an older card graded BVG 7 maybe kinda be equal to in a PSA graded card? Maybe like a PSA 8 or a bit better...generally speaking??? Also what would MAYBE be considered the #3 top grading system? Thanks all for understanding that I'm still a rookie in this http://www.beckett.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif

RE: BVG vs PSA???
On Vintage Cards PSA is much more desirable in the collecting community. Sure there are exceptions with some collectors, but most like PSA.

As for a BGS 9/9.5 going to be a nicer card then a PSA 10??? Don't quite think so.... I would take a PSA 10 any day over a BGS 9.5.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(01-26-2012, 08:42 PM)sonnyday Wrote: On Vintage Cards PSA is much more desirable in the collecting community. Sure there are exceptions with some collectors, but most like PSA.

As for a BGS 9/9.5 going to be a nicer card then a PSA 10??? Don't quite think so.... I would take a PSA 10 any day over a BGS 9.5.
Hi, thanks for the info! I was kinda thinking the same actually, but I have been told by several dealers that BGS 9, 9.5 will always be nicer then PSA 10. I guess maybe its all just fords and chevys, but I also think that a PSA 10 just sounds nicer then a 9.5...lol...but I am kinda new at all this grading stuff, so any more info from you or any and all personal opinions from people reading this,please feel free to share with me. Any comments are greatly appreciated cause the more I can hear from numerous people, the more I can def understand all of this. Smile

Thanks so much again,
Ed

(01-26-2012, 08:42 PM)sonnyday Wrote: On Vintage Cards PSA is much more desirable in the collecting community. Sure there are exceptions with some collectors, but most like PSA.

This is one preference nothing more. Least with Beckett holders you know the card hasn't been switched out by some seller. Beckett holders offer UV protection PSA does not. Card in Beckett holders has less movement then PSA. For vintage cards, like SGC but that's my preference.

Card grading is over rated and a waste of ones money in most cases and should be used for high value and very rare cards due to counterfeits and being altered. A mint card is a mint card regardless of age in my opinion.

Beckett holders do not provide UV protection.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I usually agree with most of you say on these boards sonnyday, but Beckett holders do have UV protection built into the plastics they use for the slab. I am about 75% sure I am getting out of the whole grading my collection business. I did it mainly for protecting my PC, making sure other people who handle my cards won't damage them. I chose Beckett because they have the strongest holders, but I just can't get myself to send any more in due the poor service of their web site and the non-existent registry. Over one year and nothing!! That is just bad business.

If I were to resell cards, especially anything prior to 1990, you would have to go with PSA. I really hate the look of a PSA case. If SGC gets the ability to slab thicker cards, I would seriously think about them.

(02-02-2012, 06:01 AM)sonnyday Wrote: Beckett holders do not provide UV protection.

Yes they do.

http://www.beckett.com/grading/services.asp

(02-02-2012, 01:38 AM)leo1968 Wrote: This is one preference nothing more. Least with Beckett holders you know the card hasn't been switched out by some seller. Beckett holders offer UV protection PSA does not. Card in Beckett holders has less movement then PSA. For vintage cards, like SGC but that's my preference.

Card grading is over rated and a waste of ones money in most cases and should be used for high value and very rare cards due to counterfeits and being altered. A mint card is a mint card regardless of age in my opinion.
As is yours.

(02-02-2012, 03:59 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: As is yours.
As is yours? Know SGC doesn't use Any UV protection, why I use UV case in my display and selling cases. Not a fan of SGC holders, both SGC and PSA need to improve their holders, your not only collecting a card your preserving it as well.

I could care less about UV protection. My cards do not sunbathe and are not stored out in the light and when they do make an appearance in the light, the little time they are out is not going to create the card to shrivel up into dust. SGC and PSA apparently don't need to do anything as they both seem to be doing just fine without it.

The "as is yours" comment was pertaining to the bold/italic part of your post I quoted and had nothing to do with the UV protection.