Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 Bowman Draft 10 Case Break and Contest Thread [CONTESTS CLOSED]

RE: 2011 Bowman Draft 10 Case Break and Contest Thread [CONTESTS CLOSED]
Three questions Nate:

1) What is the average percentage of thse cards that goes to your pc and what do you put up for auction?
2) Which was your favorite chrome break?
3a) Which break was most successful on auction? B) How did you do at auction on the Sterling break last year? It seemed like you killed it.

(01-16-2012, 12:05 AM)natejeffries Wrote: Three questions Nate:

1) What is the average percentage of thse cards that goes to your pc and what do you put up for auction?
2) Which was your favorite chrome break?
3a) Which break was most successful on auction? B) How did you do at auction on the Sterling break last year? It seemed like you killed it.
Some of this I can't answer too well because I'm not a careful historian of my breaks. I do keep records, but I rarely go back through them and reflect on things like which break was most profitable.

I can say, however, that I tend to keep the biggest hits for myself. One year I built a complete set of draft comprising blue refractors. One year I built a complete set of colored refractors (including some red, gold, & orange). So I'll usually see what my break is like and then decide what kind of a high end set I want to build & keep. I'll also keep a set of base and a set of chrome, but then I sell off all the extra sets and duplicates and extras that don't make sets. I usually sell the printing plates and exotics too (like 60th year auto inserts).

I have really fond memories of the 2005 draft break. I liked the design and it seems like I got tons of great blue refractor auto hits. Overall I enjoy the draft breaks the best, I think. Sterling is amazing to break, and like you said, I pretty much killed it last year, but I don't like the distribution of parallels as much in that product.

Anyway, because I tend to skim off the best from my breaks I don't get a whole lot back in sales. I'm also lazy in selling -- doing it when I have time rather than when it makes most sense, selling in large lots instead of optimizing return, etc. So in the end I usually sell off just enough to help me finish building whatever sets I decide to build.

It should be clear to anyone reading that I don't do this to make money. It's a hobby that I enjoy, and while my collection represents a pretty substantial financial asset, it's an "investment" that carries about a 60-70% return. Smile

Case #8, Box #2

Blue /499: Everett Teaford
Blue /499: Nick DeSantiago
Refractor auto /500: Trevor Bauer

Grade: A
Comments: Sweet auto.

Base auto leaderboard:
2 – Dylan Bundy
2 – Robert Stephenson
2 – Tyler Anderson
2 – Joe Panik
2 – Daniel Vogelbach
1 – Sonny Gray
1 – Kolten Wong
1 – Brandon Martin
1 – Jose Fernandez EXCH
1 – Keenyn Walker
1 – Trevor Bauer
1 – Javier Baez
1 – Franscisco Lindor
1 – Taylor Guerrieri
1 – Matt Barnes
1 – Jake Hager
1 – Bubba Starling
1 – Brandon Nimmo
1 – Trevor Story

[Image: 82.jpg]
Case #8, Box #3

Blue /499: Blake Snell
Blue refractor /199: Tyler Pill
Purple refractor auto /10: Blake Swihart

Grade: A+
Comments: Wow, not much point in busting the rest of this case. I should probably sell the remaining boxes at $45 each. Killing it on the purple autos this break. Wow.

Base auto leaderboard:
2 – Dylan Bundy
2 – Robert Stephenson
2 – Tyler Anderson
2 – Joe Panik
2 – Daniel Vogelbach
1 – Sonny Gray
1 – Kolten Wong
1 – Brandon Martin
1 – Jose Fernandez EXCH
1 – Keenyn Walker
1 – Trevor Bauer
1 – Javier Baez
1 – Franscisco Lindor
1 – Taylor Guerrieri
1 – Matt Barnes
1 – Jake Hager
1 – Bubba Starling
1 – Brandon Nimmo
1 – Trevor Story

[Image: 83.jpg]

Great response Nate. 2005 was an awesome year. I liked the design too. Some very good players in that draft set - Braun, Bautista, McCutchen, Tulo and Zimmerman for starters.

That's awesome that you build all of those sets and keep so much of it. Good luck on the rest of the break.

Are you going to do Sterling for the Super Bowl again?

(01-16-2012, 01:11 AM)pyweed Wrote: Some of this I can't answer too well because I'm not a careful historian of my breaks. I do keep records, but I rarely go back through them and reflect on things like which break was most profitable.

I can say, however, that I tend to keep the biggest hits for myself. One year I built a complete set of draft comprising blue refractors. One year I built a complete set of colored refractors (including some red, gold, & orange). So I'll usually see what my break is like and then decide what kind of a high end set I want to build & keep. I'll also keep a set of base and a set of chrome, but then I sell off all the extra sets and duplicates and extras that don't make sets. I usually sell the printing plates and exotics too (like 60th year auto inserts).

I have really fond memories of the 2005 draft break. I liked the design and it seems like I got tons of great blue refractor auto hits. Overall I enjoy the draft breaks the best, I think. Sterling is amazing to break, and like you said, I pretty much killed it last year, but I don't like the distribution of parallels as much in that product.

Anyway, because I tend to skim off the best from my breaks I don't get a whole lot back in sales. I'm also lazy in selling -- doing it when I have time rather than when it makes most sense, selling in large lots instead of optimizing return, etc. So in the end I usually sell off just enough to help me finish building whatever sets I decide to build.

It should be clear to anyone reading that I don't do this to make money. It's a hobby that I enjoy, and while my collection represents a pretty substantial financial asset, it's an "investment" that carries about a 60-70% return. Smile

(01-16-2012, 02:42 AM)natejeffries Wrote: Great response Nate. 2005 was an awesome year. I liked the design too. Some very good players in that draft set - Braun, Bautista, McCutchen, Tulo and Zimmerman for starters.

That's awesome that you build all of those sets and keep so much of it. Good luck on the rest of the break.

Are you going to do Sterling for the Super Bowl again?
Thanks. I'm trying to decide what to do about Sterling. I do want a few cases, but I may wait until baseball season starts. I usually feel like busting something around April, and the Bowman products I like are so clumped together in terms of release dates.

Case #8, Box #4

Blue /499: Kyle Crick
Blue /499: Mike Moustakas
Blue refractor /199: Arden Pabst
Auto: Jed Bradley
Topps 60th anniversary auto /60: Pablo Sandoval

Grade: B
Comments: This is the case that keeps giving. Four good boxes in a row, and I’m starting to corner the market on KFP signatures.

Base auto leaderboard:
2 – Dylan Bundy
2 – Robert Stephenson
2 – Tyler Anderson
2 – Joe Panik
2 – Daniel Vogelbach
1 – Sonny Gray
1 – Kolten Wong
1 – Brandon Martin
1 – Jose Fernandez EXCH
1 – Keenyn Walker
1 – Trevor Bauer
1 – Javier Baez
1 – Franscisco Lindor
1 – Taylor Guerrieri
1 – Matt Barnes
1 – Jake Hager
1 – Bubba Starling
1 – Brandon Nimmo
1 – Trevor Story
1 – Jed Bradley

[Image: 84.jpg]

Another sweet purple auto! Nice!

Case #8, Box #5

Blue /499: Fautino De Los Santos
Blue refractor /199: Alexi Amarista
Auto: C. J. Cron
Refractor USA auto /199: Dom Nunez

Grade: C-
Comments: My first Cron auto!

Base auto leaderboard:
2 – Dylan Bundy
2 – Robert Stephenson
2 – Tyler Anderson
2 – Joe Panik
2 – Daniel Vogelbach
1 – Sonny Gray
1 – Kolten Wong
1 – Brandon Martin
1 – Jose Fernandez EXCH
1 – Keenyn Walker
1 – Trevor Bauer
1 – Javier Baez
1 – Franscisco Lindor
1 – Taylor Guerrieri
1 – Matt Barnes
1 – Jake Hager
1 – Bubba Starling
1 – Brandon Nimmo
1 – Trevor Story
1 – Jed Bradley
1 – C. J. Cron

[Image: 85.jpg]
Case #8, Box #6

Blue /499: Andy Dirks
Blue /499: Nick Ahmed
Gold refractor /50: Justin James
Auto: Tyler Goeddel

Grade: C
Comments: No D grades yet in this case – very nice.

Base auto leaderboard:
2 – Dylan Bundy
2 – Robert Stephenson
2 – Tyler Anderson
2 – Joe Panik
2 – Daniel Vogelbach
1 – Sonny Gray
1 – Kolten Wong
1 – Brandon Martin
1 – Jose Fernandez EXCH
1 – Keenyn Walker
1 – Trevor Bauer
1 – Javier Baez
1 – Franscisco Lindor
1 – Taylor Guerrieri
1 – Matt Barnes
1 – Jake Hager
1 – Bubba Starling
1 – Brandon Nimmo
1 – Trevor Story
1 – Jed Bradley
1 – C. J. Cron
1 – Tyler Goeddel

[Image: 86.jpg]

Case #8, Box #7

Blue /499: Zack Cozart
Blue /499: John Hicks
Blue refractor /199: Rex Brothers
Blue refractor auto /150: Blake Snell
Orange refractor USA auto /25: Riley Unroe

Grade: A-
Comments: Terrific case.

Base auto leaderboard:
2 – Dylan Bundy
2 – Robert Stephenson
2 – Tyler Anderson
2 – Joe Panik
2 – Daniel Vogelbach
1 – Sonny Gray
1 – Kolten Wong
1 – Brandon Martin
1 – Jose Fernandez EXCH
1 – Keenyn Walker
1 – Trevor Bauer
1 – Javier Baez
1 – Franscisco Lindor
1 – Taylor Guerrieri
1 – Matt Barnes
1 – Jake Hager
1 – Bubba Starling
1 – Brandon Nimmo
1 – Trevor Story
1 – Jed Bradley
1 – C. J. Cron
1 – Tyler Goeddel

[Image: 87.jpg]

Wow - great box. How do you grade the design?

(01-16-2012, 06:22 PM)natejeffries Wrote: Wow - great box. How do you grade the design?
What do you think, NJ? Seems to me like there hasn't been anything radically different in quite a while now. I'd like to see them step outside the box a little more.