`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is this a crazy idea? I've made a decision

RE: Is this a crazy idea?
(01-05-2012, 02:17 PM)sesfan01 Wrote: I agree with you in that I don't want to sink my money into any of the unmemorable sets from that era, but I would love a shot at getting some of those awesome insert and chase sets like you said. I had already started working on a few insert sets from the late 90s and will probably finish those up anyway, but as far as starting to build a new set what are some recommendations if you have any?

Maybe I should take a poll on let's say the top 5 or 10 sets (either base or insert) from the 90s to collect. That would make my selection much easier on which ones to go after.
You could go for a pure set with no insert/autographs or other like 92 Bowman. Plenty of good rookies and stars with decent value and not too expensive to put together.

Doug

RE: Is this a crazy idea? Poll: Top 10 90s sets to collect
'93 Finest Refractors if you want a challenge to your wallet.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

(01-05-2012, 10:46 PM)beatles guy Wrote: '93 Finest Refractors if you want a challenge to your wallet.
I think any of the Finest Refractors would eat up my wallet.
Thanks for the good suggestions so far guys. Keep em' coming!
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

I've gotten plenty of good suggestions for some sets to build, but I still would like to know if any of the online stores where you can buy boxes would have any kind of selection for 90s stuff.

(01-05-2012, 01:50 PM)sesfan01 Wrote: So recently I have been thinking more and more about collecting and building sets from the 90s, maybe 96-99 years. I could finish a few sets I had started on years back but pushed to the backburner because of my PC. I really enjoyed many of the 90s sets and honestly, I am just getting tired of seeing the same Topps products year after year with the same jersey/auto/color, etc.

I have a couple of questions before starting out though.

1) Are boxes or cases of stuff from the 90s going to be expensive, or will they be relatively affordable?

2) Where is the best place to buy or shop (not ebay)?

If I can get some insight and advice to help me decide whether or not I should pull the trigger on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steven

They're not worth much, but these are my top 5 '90s sets.

5. '91 Stadium Club
4. '99 Bowman Chrome Series 2
3. '97 Bowman Chrome
2. '90 Leaf
1. '92 Bowman
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

Basically, no, the online stores will have a limited selection, if any, of the the sets you are looking for. Why not use E-bay like everyone else?
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]

1.Not a crazy idea.. I started trying to put together the essential credentials from 1997 E-X2000. But going into the PC I know it could take years to complete or possibly never finish

The box's when they come up on the bay are around $70 to $100 dollars so you might as well save that money to buy the cards you need instead of the boxes.

2. Another good place to get old insert cards is burbank sportscards and they most of their cards listed in the beckett marketplace

hope that helps!

(01-08-2012, 12:53 PM)vinson24 Wrote: 1.Not a crazy idea.. I started trying to put together the essential credentials from 1997 E-X2000. But going into the PC I know it could take years to complete or possibly never finish

The box's when they come up on the bay are around $70 to $100 dollars so you might as well save that money to buy the cards you need instead of the boxes.

2. Another good place to get old insert cards is burbank sportscards and they most of their cards listed in the beckett marketplace

hope that helps!
And if you buy from Burbank, the single will cost more than the box (and in some cases, more than a case)

[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(01-08-2012, 09:15 AM)reagle beagle 37 Wrote: Basically, no, the online stores will have a limited selection, if any, of the the sets you are looking for. Why not use E-bay like everyone else?
Well, I guess I could its just a matter of when a particular box would come up and it's not a guarantee that I would get it if the item was listed as an auction. The item would need to be listed as BIN.

Thanks for the info on the online stores supply though. That helps.
(01-08-2012, 04:31 PM)petesahuttt Wrote: And if you buy from Burbank, the single will cost more than the box (and in some cases, more than a case)
yea I've heard some of their singles can be a bit pricey.

What about the Ted Williams Card Company sets from 93/94. They have many of the great players and include the Negro Leagues and the AAGPBL, along with some inserts. I have bought a few boxes from Ebay at a reasonable price.
(01-08-2012, 09:57 PM)sesfan01 Wrote: Well, I guess I could its just a matter of when a particular box would come up and it's not a guarantee that I would get it if the item was listed as an auction. The item would need to be listed as BIN.

Thanks for the info on the online stores supply though. That helps.

yea I've heard some of their singles can be a bit pricey.
Ted Williams/Vintage Red Sox collector