`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1986-87 Fleer Basketball Set

1986-87 Fleer Basketball Set
I have decided to go through the process of collecting this whole set, eventually wanting to get one of each card with 9.5 or better grading.. I realize this is quite the task, but I'm down for it.

I have a couple of questions since I am relatively new to the collecting process...

1) Would it be better for me to buy a complete set vs. each card individually? I do see some benefits to doing this, as I could quickly eliminate a number of cards from the set..

2) Would you grade this set with BGS or PSA?

Thanks for any input!

RE: 1986-87 Fleer Basketball Set
To be honest your best bet would be to buy them already graded as a 9.5, those cards are so old and flimsy that from what i've seen it will be real tough to find an ungraded that will grade that high.

wow an expensive and tough task! i would have loved to do that but in the end i went for picking up the rookies that i wanted with 9.5 centering as thats the category that when i look at the card is the most important to me.

I thnk they look great together, got the malone as well but scan isnt as good as this one.

[Image: Ian_Fleer_RCs.jpg]

expensive enough in this condition let alone a jordan bgs 9.5! Good luck mate and will enjoy watching yr progress, keep us posted!

I will buy some at the BGS 9.5 for sure, like I already have a Karl Malone (Fav player along with John Stockton - yeah I'm a Utah dude). I will have to just see what kind of deals pop up.

I'm in agreement with you on the centering being very important to me. I will for sure keep ya'll posted.. Smile

(12-09-2011, 12:47 PM)libs021 Wrote: To be honest your best bet would be to buy them already graded as a 9.5, those cards are so old and flimsy that from what i've seen it will be real tough to find an ungraded that will grade that high.

What he said! Even if you buy a full ungraded set you aren't likely to have more than about 10-12 cards grade that high. Besides, take a look at that Barkley a couple posts above this one. That 9 looks darn good, maybe shoot for Mint instead of Gem Mint?
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

There are some cards that have very limited copies that would grade to your 9.5 set standards. The last guy that did that took him like 4-5 years to complete the Gem Mint set and they posted an article on this site when he put it on the market a few months ago.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2011/06/hobb...o-auction/

I am not sure how much it actually sold for, but you can see some of the prices he paid for the no name dudes' cards from the set that got a 9.5 with BGS. It will be tough, but I hope this article helps with your decision.

Here this is the quote that caught me offguard....

"The toughest card was probably card No. 76 Johnny Moore. Almost all of them have two really nasty print defects on them. For the longest time, this was the toughest card in the set and for a while I was seeing Gem Mint examples selling for more than the Michael Jordan Rookie."
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

(12-09-2011, 02:43 PM)got watcha want Wrote: There are some cards that have very limited copies that would grade to your 9.5 set standards. The last guy that did that took him like 4-5 years to complete the Gem Mint set and they posted an article on this site when he put it on the market a few months ago.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2011/06/hobb...o-auction/

I am not sure how much it actually sold for, but you can see some of the prices he paid for the no name dudes' cards from the set that got a 9.5 with BGS. It will be tough, but I hope this article helps with your decision.

Here this is the quote that caught me offguard....

"The toughest card was probably card No. 76 Johnny Moore. Almost all of them have two really nasty print defects on them. For the longest time, this was the toughest card in the set and for a while I was seeing Gem Mint examples selling for more than the Michael Jordan Rookie."
Thank you for the input everyone! I for sure think this will be a difficult task that may take me some years - but I've got the funds, and the drive to make it happen. That No. 76 Johnny Moore card kind of scares me though.

Yeah who wants to pay 4K+ for a Johnny Moore card??? Good Luck!!!!
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

That is a very hard task to complete. I chased down the same set, but ungraded. I bought most of the commons as a partial set & then bought the rest by singles. I still want to get a better MJ, since the one I have is from my childhood & is in very bad shape, creases, folds & pin hole.. yes, I hung it on my wall when i was 8yrs old.. didn't really know who MJ was back then.

You would have to spend tons of money to get all graded 9.5 cards, but it could be done. If you have thousands of dollars. There is an 87 graded auto set that was online a few days ago.. I think only the MJ's were graded, the rest were authenticated, not graded. PSA was the one that did the slabbing. Guy wanted $70K for the set. There is a graded 9 set for $10K. Ebay # 230695856210 for reference.

I would love to own a graded 87 Fleer Set. Hope I win the Mega Lotto next tuesday..
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0644643963

hmm interesting read...