`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OT - my job as a public defender - in re Jerome Simpson

RE: OT - my job as a public defender - in re Jerome Simpson
(09-24-2011, 08:53 PM)ugameck Wrote: Awesome, guys. I truly love the debate, however:

I don't think i mentioned race in this...
i did. dont know if it applies to your example, however, in general, my first post here stand true

(09-25-2011, 01:19 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i did. dont know if it applies to your example, however, in general, my first post here stand true
oh, it does...

my client was a 17 year old black male. the cop - undercover white "hippie" looking fellow cop sees my client at the gas station.

the police report:
i said "hey, what's going on?"
perp: "nothing, why?"
cop: "i'm wanting to score some smoke."
perp: "okay, i have some"
cop: "do you have 20 bucks worth?"
perp: "no, i have 10 bucks worth in my pocket"
cop: "can you make change?"
perp: "yes, i have 10 dollars on me"

the exchange is made with marked county funds, the perp gives me 10 in return and the drugs and the 'take down unit' makes the arrest.
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

The law is the law. I understand that he was 17 years old and wanted to graduate. Good for him. There are 100s of choices he could have made. CPS among other things.
Do I think a year is harsh? Yes.
Was it a form of trapment by the police? Possible it depends on how you look at it.
Is it time to get harsh on drug dealers no matter how petty? Yes. Sad to say this about any client but if found guilty they should swing from highest tree. We start doing this to murders, rapeists, car theives, rustlers, and drug dealers. This country would be in better shape than it is now.

Yes I live in Texas and I am proud of my states no tolerance to hibitual criminols. I just wish we would give the death sentence more swiftly rathen than my taxes paying for him to live 20 years and him wrighting and smiling on tv. 6 months then the sentence is carried out.

Nobody care about the victims it the person who created the offence.

On a side note. his sentence was a little harsh. Probation is what he should have gotten. But got to start somewhere.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(09-25-2011, 04:05 PM)waynetalger Wrote: The law is the law. I understand that he was 17 years old and wanted to graduate. Good for him. There are 100s of choices he could have made. CPS among other things.
Do I think a year is harsh? Yes.
Was it a form of trapment IT'S A(n) (en)TRAPMENT!by the police? Possible it depends on how you look at it.
Is it time to get harsh on drug dealers no matter how petty? Yes. Sad to say this about any client but if found guilty they should swing from highest tree like in the good ole days of the Klan, when blacks knew their place!. We start doing this to murders, rapeists, car theives, rustlers are you from the wild west?, and drug dealers. This country would be in better shape than it is now.

Yes I live in Texas and I am proud of my states no tolerance to hibitual criminols. if not for habitual bad spelling. then again, texas school system, naturally I just wish we would give the death sentence more swiftly rathen than my taxes paying for him to live 20 years and him wrighting and smiling on tv. actually, the death penalty is much more expensive. 6 months then the sentence is carried out. yea, that damned due process BS! why cant we just have show trials!

Nobody care about the victims it the person who created the offence.

On a side note. his sentence was a little harsh. Probation is what he should have gotten. But got to start somewhere yea, like killing the illiterate.
single most ignorant post ive seen on beckett, with absolutely the worst spelling. those werent typos. I mean, i support the death penalty, and have no moral qualms about it. but cripes sake dude, calm the f down

(09-25-2011, 04:50 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: single most ignorant post ive seen on beckett, with absolutely the worst spelling. those werent typos. I mean, i support the death penalty, and have no moral qualms about it. but cripes sake dude, calm the f down
What are you some kind of spelling police?
I said nothing about the Klan. The law hung hell of alot more white people from trees than any other race. I wouldnt care if you are green or purple. Its time to bring back some of the old laws where public hangings take place to criminals. It will help the kids of today to stay on the right path or are you so blind that you dont see that.

You say death penalty costs more. I say BS. if I am on the low side 35,000 a year for each criminal vs a shot a pine box and a hole in the ground is a lot cheaper than 35,000 a year or that times how many years he stays in prison.

Show trials then we will have people like OJ and that crazy women in Florida who killed her child walking free. Take the cameras out of the court house that is part of the problem today. So worried what one news station will say then contradict everything in the courthouse.

Try them quickly and if the punishment warrents them to death then do it swiftly dont waste my money.

Jacoby you have your opinion on this matter and I have mine but for you to show your ***** like you did it just goes to show how you think your opinion is more important than anyone elses which is BS.

Opening post I am sorry your thread turned out like it did.
For what this kid done is a little harsh. But who can tell what is going through the judges head. Maybe he did this sentence to help this kid and get him a GED. This was probley the maximum punishment for this case but he is doing it for a greater good.

Well I was going to change the oil on our vehicles today, but I'm going to grab another beer and see what happens next.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

(09-25-2011, 07:18 PM)mrgonzodad Wrote: Well I was going to change the oil on our vehicles today, but I'm going to grab another beer and see what happens next.
Thats what I have been doing all day. Feeling pretty good right now.
Maybe I should sober up before I post. huh?

(09-25-2011, 07:30 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Thats what I have been doing all day. Feeling pretty good right now.
Maybe I should sober up before I post. huh?
Ah, the drunken post backlash. I've been a bozo when toasty here before. It'll blow over.

I do believe in harsh punishment, but for harsh crimes. My mom works for CPS, and it's a shame what kids can get away with now. They actually get parents into trouble for washing their kids mouth out with soap now. When my mom did that to me when I was young, it definitly made me not do what I did to have my mouth washed out. Back to the harsh crimes part. To me someone selling pot should not be sentenced to jail time. Do you guys know just how many people smoke pot in the US? Forget about the entire world. I bet we all know someone who smokes or sells weed. Look at the crime rate in places like Amsterdam, where pot is not a criminal offense. They also have things like needle exchanges and other drug programs in place to help hardcore drug abusers. Their crime rate is lower, because they dont waste time or money on petty things like pot. For rape, murder, vehicle manslaughter due to DWI, or other violent crimes, those people should be hit hard. I'm all for the death penalty. There are some choices you make in life that are undoable?. You chose to rape or murder, those are a choice that you made, and are just to big to ignore. I'm also in support of not letting someone on death row sit and waste my taxpaying dollars for 20+ years. If they took a life and get the death penalty, they should'nt get to live for another 20+ years with 3 hots and a cot. I've been locked up, and it aint to bad in there. There are people who live better in jail than they do in the outside world. Drugs, sex, food, clean clothes, a bed, whats not to like for some of these guys. I do belive that harsher penaltys for harsh crimes will deter some of these people before they make that bad judgement choice. It's a shame though, when a drug user gets a felony conviction that will haunt him for the rest of his life. People look at them like they were the 1 murdering peole or raping them. I also think it wrong that cigarettes and alcohol are Legal, while pot isn't. Is it because both the cigs and alcohol companies donate and give millions to politicians? That judge sending that BOY to jail might have not made him get his GED, but might have ruined his life. Whats he to do now when he gets out to nothing waiting for him, a conviction on his record. If he had it tough before, it's now going to be 10 times tougher for him when he gets out. FYI, I dont do any drugs, or drink, but I think if not making pot legal, we should at least decriminalize it. If it was legal though, with all the people who smoke it, it would be a boon to our economy. Sorry to rant. Thanks all.

Everyone likes the death penalty, I would think death by snoo-snoo would be the ultimate deterrent.