`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retail vs Hobby (question???)

Retail vs Hobby (question???)
Possibly coincidence, however, I have recently noticed that all Walmart/Target purchased retail packs contain:
(1) (IMO) "crummy" hits. For example, all 2011 Prestige jersey patches I have pulled are "rookie reviews" of all low grade players (sophomore season players).
(2) Several of the same players within the same packs... For instance, on multiple occasions I have pulled Boldin, Fargas and Fred Taylor (all 3 players) within the same pack of 2008 Leaf Rookies and Stars (I would guess 4 times all 3 players have been grouped in the same pack).

Is this by chance, or are retail packs stocked with more of the 'lesser value' hits??? Is there any explanation or reasoning behind this???

Thanks for the help!

very respectfully,
Courey M.

RE: Retail vs Hobby (question???)
Um...Obvi

(07-27-2011, 12:07 PM)daytonator Wrote: Um...Obvi
If that is the case, then there is NO point in purchasing retails packs from Target/Walmart/etc correct? Unless you want to collect the base set...

Seems you are pulling a lot of jerseys you should be happy.
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

Yes, but only because I "feel the packs" for the jerseys...

However, here is what I have pulled (all rookie reviews)

Eric Roberts
Rolando McLain
Toby Gerhart
Toby Gerhart
Rob Gronkowski (which is nice)

(07-27-2011, 12:22 PM)coureymarshall Wrote: Yes, but only because I "feel the packs" for the jerseys...

However, here is what I have pulled (all rookie reviews)

Eric Roberts
Rolando McLain
Toby Gerhart
Toby Gerhart
Rob Gronkowski (which is nice)
I think you just turned yourself off to everyone when you mentioned you "feel the packs" to find the JSYs. There are numerous threads, both past and ongoing, about how people feel that's wrong.

As for your original question...
I opened several of the packs of 2008 Leaf R&S and got nothing but base. I bought them because they were on the half price rack. But I can tell now why. Not sure of that's coincidence or not. But I know going in that I'm not going to pull a huge "hit" or it's not as likely because the odds are so much greater of hitting something really nice in retail.

I've put a set of Topps football together every year since I started collecting and I look to buy that and Score, Prestige at the retail shops. I can then take that to the LCS and trade it in for other stuff.

Well I was just gonna accuse you earlier but I thought better of it lol. Guess I was right...
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

(07-27-2011, 12:27 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I think you just turned yourself off to everyone when you mentioned you "feel the packs" to find the JSYs. There are numerous threads, both past and ongoing, about how people feel that's wrong.

As for your original question...
I opened several of the packs of 2008 Leaf R&S and got nothing but base. I bought them because they were on the half price rack. But I can tell now why. Not sure of that's coincidence or not. But I know going in that I'm not going to pull a huge "hit" or it's not as likely because the odds are so much greater of hitting something really nice in retail.

I've put a set of Topps football together every year since I started collecting and I look to buy that and Score, Prestige at the retail shops. I can then take that to the LCS and trade it in for other stuff.
Yes, I definitely agree with you. As for reading the previous posts, I am fairly new to the forums so I haven't read much of what has been posted past a week or two ago.

I too, have bought numerous Leaf R&S packs for half-off ($1.59 at Target). I just find it weird that (example only) out of 15 packs, 3-4 packs contain the same 3 base card players within the same pack.

very respectfully,
Courey M

yeah Retail = tons of worthless base and very low end jersey cards. Say a hobby box of Donruss Threads with 20 packs has 4 hits(2 auto's and 2 jerseys) but a hobby box of Donruss Threads Retail will have 96% base, and maybe a jersey card.

Now last year Donruss Elite and Contenders had $30 blasters(instead of rgular $20) because they guaranteed an auto.

I wasted a ton of money on retail when I first got back into the hobby before I realized it was crap. Then I bought hobby until I realized it was crap too. Why pay $100 for 4 cards, maybe one will be $40. When I could buy 10 really nice PC auto/patches.

But you'll want to curb that pack searching because almost everyone on here hates those people. I mean think about the kids and other collectors who came by those boxes after you, they get less than what little they were already getting. You can get away with that in Target and Wal-Mart because most likely no one that works there collects or has any idea what your actually stealing. You probably couldn't find a LCS that wouldn't kick you out and ban you or call the police. Because it is stealing
[Image: scan0058-2-1.jpg][/URL]
[Image: scan0049-1_zpsa96ce2c3.jpg][/URL]

(07-27-2011, 12:46 PM)lpearce7 Wrote: yeah Retail = tons of worthless base and very low end jersey cards. Say a hobby box of Donruss Threads with 20 packs has 4 hits(2 auto's and 2 jerseys) but a hobby box of Donruss Threads Retail will have 96% base, and maybe a jersey card.

Now last year Donruss Elite and Contenders had $30 blasters(instead of rgular $20) because they guaranteed an auto.

I wasted a ton of money on retail when I first got back into the hobby before I realized it was crap. Then I bought hobby until I realized it was crap too. Why pay $100 for 4 cards, maybe one will be $40. When I could buy 10 really nice PC auto/patches.

But you'll want to curb that pack searching because almost everyone on here hates those people. I mean think about the kids and other collectors who came by those boxes after you, they get less than what little they were already getting. You can get away with that in Target and Wal-Mart because most likely no one that works there collects or has any idea what your actually stealing. You probably couldn't find a LCS that wouldn't kick you out and ban you or call the police. Because it is stealing
I am in the same spot you were in... I just recently got back into the "kick" of collecting again. So I am definitely out of the loop as to what is popular, hot, etc. I definitely feel like I have wasted too much money on retail even if they were marked "half-off."

As for checking the packs, I will make a promise to the forum members to lay off and give it up. My apologies.

Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, but I am as honest as they come... So I feel bad after hearing everyone 'frowns' upon that.