Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: How Much Longer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Im not sure I would go as far as "embezzlement" but I do not doubt that the company is running a "skeleton crew" with hopes of turning around this once great and thriving company. This is made obvious by the lack of credible pricing in their magazine as the staff is only able to manage the pricing of the "rc auto's" and recently released items. You can almost tell they have one or two who are trying to update older years by the fact that a few sets gets adjusted every month (Like 2003 & 2004 in the past year have been). Sadly I feel that adventually the magazine itself will no longer be used as eBay continues to be the most reliable source of pricing (who doesn't look there prior to trading high end cards) and perhaps they will need to move over to running a better marketplace and finding new sources of revenue to continue (org charges, trade fee? etc.). I really wish they would add to the magazine in content (used to love the old readers write sections etc.) but their focus has changed to one of simply surviving.

(03-17-2012 07:01 PM)cardariffic Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the company is going bankrupt, or almost did and are fighting their way back at this point. Maybe there is inner turmoil we do not know about (embezzlement) that could be causing the falloff of this website. If they cant even afford to pay enough guys to keep a well run website, they MUST BE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE!! I dont know, seems like the likeliest scenario to this blatant disregard for thousands of their loyal customers. How else could this happen? Anyone agree with me here???
I am sure there are enough ads sold on here to support the site. On top of that they charge fees to use certain parts of the site and I am sure the market place must make money for them. I am involved on a few other sites some bigger some smaller and none of them charge fees. BTW most of the collecting sites do not pay the mods. I am on 2 and neither pay I just do it to help the sites continue on.

(03-17-2012 07:01 PM)cardariffic Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the company is going bankrupt, or almost did and are fighting their way back at this point. Maybe there is inner turmoil we do not know about (embezzlement) that could be causing the falloff of this website. If they cant even afford to pay enough guys to keep a well run website, they MUST BE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE!! I dont know, seems like the likeliest scenario to this blatant disregard for thousands of their loyal customers. How else could this happen? Anyone agree with me here???
(03-20-2012 04:22 PM)jamesray3 Wrote: [ -> ]Im not sure I would go as far as "embezzlement" but I do not doubt that the company is running a "skeleton crew" with hopes of turning around this once great and thriving company. This is made obvious by the lack of credible pricing in their magazine as the staff is only able to manage the pricing of the "rc auto's" and recently released items. You can almost tell they have one or two who are trying to update older years by the fact that a few sets gets adjusted every month (Like 2003 & 2004 in the past year have been). Sadly I feel that adventually the magazine itself will no longer be used as eBay continues to be the most reliable source of pricing (who doesn't look there prior to trading high end cards) and perhaps they will need to move over to running a better marketplace and finding new sources of revenue to continue (org charges, trade fee? etc.). I really wish they would add to the magazine in content (used to love the old readers write sections etc.) but their focus has changed to one of simply surviving.

Right, I noticed the lack of price updating for any sets basically past 2010...these cards are still traded, bought and sold and the prices are still going up and going down but they are stagnant in the beckett price guide. I hope that the new GRADED price guide gets better as well. They need to have listings for common cards as well as the stars for 81-present, this is just plain B.S.! I mean do they really think a 1961 common card is more important to list the price of than a 1989 upper deck common???? Ugghhh!
(03-17-2012 06:49 AM)hurdygurdyman Wrote: [ -> ]This! I scanned/upload a crap load of cards to get approved over a year ago, and you're telling me someone can't get around to approving them?? Very frustrating.

I agree, with you 100%. Why should any one continue with the Beckett website if we don't have all of the site working correctly. We are all paying for something we can not use. This is getting old fast.Beckett you need to get your act to gather soon!!
I'm a member and never paid for anything but I also would like to see that Beckett will be better than what it used to be. There have been slowdowns on all aspects of this website, but I will be here to see what will it become. Smile
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they don't actually have a full-time development team. I feel this way because of some of the issues that could be fixed relatively fast if there were people to work on it (problems with org, ability to leave zero stars on trades, etc.). They probably hire software engineers by contract when a big project is fully realized or there are several smaller high priority projects that are fully fleshed out by the site's product manager.

If I was responsible for this site and I had full-time developers, I'd have a page (or send an email) that shows what problems have been fixed and what modifications have been made per quarter so the users feel they're getting an "evolved" product. That's something I personally would like to see. Just my 2 cents.
Yup, hiring by contract seems what they do. It seems and it is not a fact. It saves money but the development of the site suffers. The quarterly report is a good idea. It is always nice to know when something is fixed or added to the site.
YES! this is an awesome idea!

(03-21-2012 11:23 PM)JeffreyAndrew Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they don't actually have a full-time development team. I feel this way because of some of the issues that could be fixed relatively fast if there were people to work on it (problems with org, ability to leave zero stars on trades, etc.). They probably hire software engineers by contract when a big project is fully realized or there are several smaller high priority projects that are fully fleshed out by the site's product manager.

If I was responsible for this site and I had full-time developers, I'd have a page (or send an email) that shows what problems have been fixed and what modifications have been made per quarter so the users feel they're getting an "evolved" product. That's something I personally would like to see. Just my 2 cents.
(03-21-2012 11:23 PM)JeffreyAndrew Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they don't actually have a full-time development team. I feel this way because of some of the issues that could be fixed relatively fast if there were people to work on it (problems with org, ability to leave zero stars on trades, etc.). They probably hire software engineers by contract when a big project is fully realized or there are several smaller high priority projects that are fully fleshed out by the site's product manager.

Great idea. Oh. Wait. They did this on the last major update. Problem is
1) People didn't read it and continued to complain about known issues
2) They never updated it or kept people posted as to whats going on
3) They stopped coming to the forums
4) They stopped caring about the customer (if they ever really did in the first place)
of course we going to complain about known issues... if the issue is known about than why didnt they FIX it? as someone who was a computer tech for a few years I know it is time consuming but it can still be done in a timely fashion. If I would have told one of my customers "yea, we know about the issue, but were not working to fix it" they would have just went somewhere else... but Beckett is the only place to go for this type of a site... unless some one started one to compete with them, really light a fire under their... I think they are content knowing they have complete control because they have a monopoly and they know they do, because no one in the industry is going to try a different price guide that is not proven
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's